Help - Yeats Critic's (1 Viewer)

maddylouise

HSC
I'm having a bit of trouble finding specific critics and critical analysis' of yeats' poems; 'among school children', 'leda and the swan' and 'second coming'.

I know about Yeats' underlying motifs and concerns (such as mythology, passing of time, four facaulties, nationalism (irish airman), etc) but am not sure of specific critical views.

My teacher has mentioned that we will need to know different views and how they shape our own perspectives - only problem is i dont know critics and im pretty i sure i cant list her as one!! :(

Does anyone have any links or info that might help me?
Thanks

tess_tickle

HSC
I'm having the exact same problem.... what i've done is taken a general statement from the 'critical reception' on this website William Butler The Second Coming Yeats Criticism
and then im searching for names of critics that have analysed his poetry.. im not sure its exactly the best way to go about it... im just hoping that the markers dont see through my bullshit.. ahah

tess_tickle

HSC
oh and i found this

Richard J. Finneran quotes Yeats’s own notes:
The end of an age, which always receives the revelation of the character of the next age, is represented by the coming of one gyre to its place of greatest expansion and of the other to its place of greatest contraction... The revelation [that] approaches will... take its character from the contrary movement of the interior gyre...

In other words, the world’s trajectory along the gyre of science, democracy, and heterogeneity is now coming apart, like the frantically widening flight-path of the falcon that has lost contact with the falconer; the next age will take its character not from the gyre of science, democracy, and speed, but from the contrary inner gyre—which, presumably, opposes mysticism, primal power, and slowness to the science and democracy of the outer gyre. The “rough beast” slouching toward Bethlehem is the symbol of this new age; the speaker’s vision of the rising sphinx is his vision of the character of the new world.

from sparknotes.... Finneran is a critic we studied so this is syllabus approved... i think eeep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)