Hamlet Bondi Pavilion 2010 (1 Viewer)

kgemmill

HSC
hey! has anyone seen the 2010 harlos production of Hamlet at Bondi Pavilion??

i dont get whats with the neo-nazi theme, cause it wasnt carried through or put in the plot or anything! and the bikies??

and what about hamlets madness; if it was played up and emphasised or something ... ??

and every scene claudius had a beer in his hand! why would they put that in?

was gertrude supposed to laugh after polonius died and hamlet was dragging him away? cause some of us thought she wasnt supposed to and she did it accidentally!

i really liked ophelia's added dialogue! it was very engaging but sad too.

Anyone have any comments on it? i'm supposed to write a review but i dont really know what i thought of it. any opinions/comments will help out heaps :)

Thanks!

chrisnumber1

HSC

i dont get whats with the neo-nazi theme, cause it wasnt carried through or put in the plot or anything! and the bikies??

and what about hamlets madness; if it was played up and emphasised or something ... ??

was gertrude supposed to laugh after polonius died and hamlet was dragging him away? cause some of us thought she wasnt supposed to and she did it accidentally!

Anyone have any comments on it? i'm supposed to write a review but i dont really know what i thought of it. any opinions/comments will help out heaps :)

Thanks!
lol, i went last year. the audience did a mexiacn wave during intermission, and one of the actors who played....i forget, he was off that flashbeer comercial told a kid in my year to "fuck off" good times. yeah i have nfi what that was all about, i never made any reference to it anyway for my hsc.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC

Thanks!
I went to watch it this year. I think we went to watch the same thing because i remember all of these parts.Did you also see the part where Laertes slapped Ophelia on the ass and Hamlet dry-raping Ophelia?

EDIT: Laertes had a gun :S

Last edited:

chrisnumber1

HSC
I went to watch it this year. I think we went to watch the same thing because i remember all of these parts.Did you also see the part where Laertes slapped Ophelia on the ass and Hamlet dry-raping Ophelia?

EDIT: Laertes had a gun :S
i preferred when female hamlet groped Ophelia in the crouch!!!

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
we didnt have a female hamlet :( and crouch? lol

troika_

HSC
Hahhahahahah

That was a really bad adaptation of the play T_______T

-Biker gang outfits?
-Leather?
-Who the hell uses swords when there are guns?
-"Swear."
-Sup dawgs I'm going to burn some poetry OH GOD PUT IT OUT
-Sup dawgs I'm going to smoke in a confined area
-AHHAHAHAHHAHA I JUST KILLED POLONIUS GUEYS
-Vacuuming intermission (between petal throwing at graveyard and duel in the palace)
-What kind of fight scene was that?

In our one, the guy who played Laertes fail-whaled while drinking his beer it full fizzed over him and made a mess. HIGHLIGHT OF THE PLAY :uhhuh:

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Hahhahahahah

That was a really bad adaptation of the play T_______T

-Biker gang outfits?
-Leather?
-Who the hell uses swords when there are guns?
-"Swear."
-Sup dawgs I'm going to burn some poetry OH GOD PUT IT OUT
-Sup dawgs I'm going to smoke in a confined area
-AHHAHAHAHHAHA I JUST KILLED POLONIUS GUEYS
-Vacuuming intermission (between petal throwing at graveyard and duel in the palace)
-What kind of fight scene was that?

In our one, the guy who played Laertes fail-whaled while drinking his beer it full fizzed over him and made a mess. HIGHLIGHT OF THE PLAY :uhhuh:
the biker outfits/leather was obviously meant to intensify the theme of corruption and bring it into a modern context you idiot.

i thought the guy who played hamlet was ace. the only thing i found odd was the allusion that ophelia was pregnant? the adaption of the play seemed to foreground the gender issues and i thought it worked pretty well.

gertrude fucking sucked, though.

bananarama69

HSC

Thanks!
LOL KGemmil, it's tula, you crack me up.

This hamlet production sucked more than the last, especially the vacumn, i know it was supposed to be for comic relief but really, a vacumn?!

I thought last years gravediggers were more hilarious, I know it had nothing really to do with the actual conflict, but still i payed $27, I expected it to be a bit more engaging.

GTwin

HSC
I saw it on the weekend. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't like the Nazi theme too much... We asked the director questions at the end and he said they made it drinking and getting stoned and stuff because that was their cool biker gang thing that no one else was a part of... He also said some other stuff, but I don't remember much... Oops.

Tiemyshu

HSC
Hey guys,
I was also really confused with Gertrude's laughter after Hamlet's death
so I actually sent an email to the director. Here's what I got:

It's good that you should ask such a question. The laughter you refer to is
suggested by the text: Hamlet says that, now Polonius is dead, he has, in a
sense, become what he has always imagined himself to be: a Councillor of
State, 'most still, most secret and most grave', instead of what we've been
seeing 'a foolish, prating, knave'.

'Come, sir, to draw towards an end with you' is also a deliberate joke:
after a long speech it is said that one 'draws towards an end' as you
conclude. Of course Hamlet dragging out Polonius' corpse is drawing him
towards an end in a more sinister sense.

The gallows-humour here (joking about death) is characteristic of the play.
But of course, given what's just happened in the Queen's bedroom, there is
an edge of hysteria to it.

Shakespeare knows very well that extreme situations often provoke
paradoxical emotional responses, if only for a moment.

Best Wishes,

David Ritchie (Director & Claudius)

- Hope it helps =D

vyre

HSC
All those thngs that you have questioned are just as they are- they are not followed through, they are left, they do not make sense.

Gertrude laughed in the one I saw too. Basically all these things they added (including Ophelias speech) were added and played against the plays intent. This production company have been complained about over many years, but they are the only place locally that kids can go see. Do not interpret there play as legitemate- it was performed like a comedy when it is meant to be a tragedy.

The reason for the bikies were to show the corruptness of the state.
Also, where Polonius is dead, it doesn't make sense why either of them laughs. When Hamlet looks down at Polonius, that is when he is mant to realise that there is no turning back. Hamlet was characterised horribly, he was depicted as manly and eager, but in reality he is a young man who procastinates and is always uncertain of when to act.

The guy who played Horatio didn't even act- and wtf was with the vacuum cleaner? Why did Ophelia stand up when she was dead? Why did they introduce a gun and not follow through? Where was the private v. public situation.

grrr waste of money.

zipperchan

HSC
Yeah it was a decent interpretation, how was it bad?
They stuck nice and close to the original dialogue, save adding a few modern speeches...

I have some notes about it let me have a look.

Additions:
-'Australianisms'
-A modern take even with classical language
-Use of the flute as a plot device consistently
-Bikeys
-Insertion of Ophelia's speech.

My teacher thinks that they played up Claudius's drunkeness taken from actual hints in the play? But I don't remember hints at him being such a heavy drinker..

Having the ghost appear at the back of the stage positions us to share the same initial perspective as Horatio, Marcellus and Bernardo.

Hamlet is in amongst the audience when he talks of 'an audience at a play admitting their guilt.' Hamlet expects Claudius to immediately admit his guilt, and Hamet being amongst us automatically involves us more directly with the action.

The visual device of a lighter during the 'to be or not to be'; light can be interpreted in many different ways, think of a personal interpretation (ie, the snuffing of life, how fragile life is, good vs. evil etc)

In this version Hamlet forces Claudius to drink the poison even when he is dying already; representative of the idea that Claudius needs to accept his guilt, he cannot simply leave it.

Ophelia's speech gives a modern voice to woman, giving the femal character a perspective certainly not had at the time of the plays original writing. Representative of our society where the female now has as much say/sway as a man does.

Hope that helped some.

strangevege

HSC
I actually posted this in another thread about the Bondi Pavilion production, but then I realised it would be more suited here...

I'm not too sure how I felt about the production, I mean on the one hand it was good to see a different interpretation of it, but on the other I couldn't get past the (to me) bad acting of Gertrude. Particularly during the last scene in which she slumped on the chair after being poisoned, my class was somewhat confused at that point whether or not she had died.
Another thing that put me off this production was the violent relationship between Hamlet and Ophelia. While I know it is shown within the play they had a "passionate relationship", there were a few scenes within the play that made me flinch, it was so violent and in-your-face.
Another part of the particular version I saw that did not exactly mesh with my expectations, was the soliloquy after Ophelias death BY Ophelia. While I can see it was used as a method of moving the actress off the stage, I did not really feel the vibe they were going for - It was something like "I am the girl who took all the pills, pulled the rope" I can't exactly remember the correct language. I'm not too sure I would use her soliloquy in an essay, and I was left with a feeling of confusion more than a feeling of awe.

This being said, I did like the production in a section of its acts, excluding the things I listed above. It provided insight and while I know people who did not go as they thought it would not be beneficial, I thought that even if you're not going to mention it in an essay, it's a good thing to see to broaden your scope of knowledge on the topic, and I found it opens your eyes to the ways in which Hamlet can be interpretated.

SurgicalPhoenix

HSC
I watched it this year, it was OK, nothing really special. The whole biker theme didnt really work for me. They were all so confide to such a small space... And the guy playing Guildenstern kept spilling beer everywhere... :S
But I also saw a different adaptation in Kogarah, it was alot better, and Horatio was a woman who tried to make out with Hamlet infront of Ophelia a few times... We also got to see the actor that played Hamlets penis. It scared alot of girls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)