why does hamlet delay?? (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
He has no real proof at first.

He is indecisive in nature

It would be a crime of regicide

He can't kill while Claudius is praying, other Claudius would be free from sin and go to heaven

There are numerous reasons.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Read the text. It helps.

EDIT: He overintellectualises everything and wants ontological and epistemological knowledge of the crime committed and death. Too busy 'fapping' behind the arras. Oh wait. That's Polonius.

Last edited:

vyre

HSC
Hamlet delays because essentially- he is a coward.

Hamlet is not portrayed as a manly person, instead he is a young boy who is more interested in his studies at uni than the brutality of war. He mourns his father long, something his uncle calls 'unmanly grief'. Hamlet himself says he is a coward: 'I am pigeon-liver'd and lack gall' (ACT II SCENE II line 573).
He procastinates constantly, and makes excuses for himself and justifies his waiing. He had the chance to kill Claudius when he was prying- but he didn't. He constantly ponders killing himself- but that would be against christian belief. He must revenge his fathers death- but he needs proof and such.

Hamlet is unmanly, and it is only through the slaughter of his uncle that he fufills his responsiblility as a son and as the prince of Denmark.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But to give one soul reason for his delay is not possible. His motivation and reasoning is different depending on your individual reading of the text.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
He can't get it up. His courage, that is.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
But to give one soul reason for his delay is not possible. His motivation and reasoning is different depending on your individual reading of the text.
I would agree completely with this.

I would also add that perhaps Hamlet delays in the sense that it affords him the opportunity to extend his metaphysical thoughts and extrapolate them even further; thus ultimately leading to a personal maturation by play's end and the idea that we should simply "Let be."

Hope this helps even though it is a bit esoteric.

vyre

HSC
True, there are many reasons, but another main factor is that it is not in his nature to do so- it could be argued that this is the sole reason. Hamlet is portrayed as more of the scholar or thinker type. He is not 'manly' or 'hot-blooded', and even says himself that he is 'pigeon-liver'd, and lack gall'. This thinking part of him is what prevents him from continually acting, as he always has to think it over.
When he finds Claudius praying, but does not act, is an example of this.

But...yeah I agree multiple reasons is probably more likey. Just presenting an argument -shrugs-

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Some scholars have even argued that his delay was purely included as a plot device. Which I believe would make a very interesting question for the HSC. Both sides could definitely be argued for.

SurgicalPhoenix

HSC
He doesnt seem to delay when he stabs Polonius, thinking its Claudius though, what do you guys think?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
He was already fueled with emotion, which triggered the outburst. I haven't read it in a while, but that's a plausible explanation. Remember that he does not have the religious reasoning at this point, where as before it was a contributing factor.

AmieLea

HSC
He can't get it up. His courage, that is.
HAHA! funny...

there has been many discussions on why Hamlet delays on murdering Claudis, but i think one of the main things to remember whilst considering it is that, in the elizabethan era, to kill the King was an act of treason, not only against Denmark as a country, but against God himself, as the king was known as Gods reprsentive on earth. Believing what they did, could you kill the king (who just so happens to also be your UNCLE) lightly and not think about the consquences of offering up your soul for an eternity of purgery?

also, i don't believe that Hamlet was a coward, or that he even stalled for that long of a time. but yes, i think he should've just done away with him whist he was in prayer- but i can understand why he didnt do so (for the reason above)

AmieLea

HSC
or, to make you feel really trippy, ask yourself not why Hamlet didn't kill Claudis but why do YOU expect him to??? why does he HAVE to kill and avenge his fathers death? he could've just ignored the ghost, which would've made him even more of a coward and made the play boring

Braddo

HSC
There wouldve been no play at all if that was the case Amie lol

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Although not in Shakespeares time, the 20th century theatre movement of lesser naturalism definitely could have that premise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)