Hamlet Values and Themes (1 Viewer)

kbsb

HSC
ok so we have a question on Hamlet that encompasses core values...

just wanted to ask if anyone knew the difference between core values and themes?

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
I'm guessing core values are essentially like themes, things along the lines of loyalty, revenge, determinism/fate, all of which are evident in hamlet

And yes I would know about this question cause I also go to normo

vyre

HSC
Themes would be: uncertainty of death, procastination, pretty much the underlining thigs or the factors that make up the subplot of the play. Uncertainty of death is a big one in 'Hamlet', seen in the famous 'To be or not to be' speech.
Also christianity and suicide- 'that the Everlasting had not fix'd His canon 'gainst self-slaughter' (ACT I, SCENE II, lines 131-132)

Values are like...hmmm, I suppose loyalty as a big one. Such as Gertrudes lack of it. Hamlet himself says 'a beast that wants discourse of reason Would have mourn'd longer', pretty much saying that a beast would have had more loyalty than his mother, who married his uncle not even 2 months after his fathers death.
So trust and loyalty, definatley now I think about it, as Claudius' treason is also looked upon.

Hope I heped :)

Carmen909

HSC
Themes would be: uncertainty of death, procastination, pretty much the underlining thigs or the factors that make up the subplot of the play. Uncertainty of death is a big one in 'Hamlet', seen in the famous 'To be or not to be' speech.
\
soliloquy not speech remember ;)

AmieLea

HSC
themes are the underlying messages in the text, such as corruption, death, sanity, survellience, deception etc

while values are what the characters do or do not value in their society, such as marriage, loyalty (within family and marriage), family, relgion, etc.

they're definitions are fairly similar but trying googling the definition of values to get a clearer understanding :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)