2012 hsc advanced english paper 2 - section ii question 7: W.b yeats (1 Viewer)

hsc2013_

HSC
Anyone who did the HSC last year could you please help me with this question, I'm in desperate need of help :(
I actually have no clue what the question is actually asking
And if anyone has sample answers that would be amazing!!

Question 7 — Poetry (20 marks)
(a) William Butler Yeats, W B Yeats: Poems

An inherent tension between stability and change is revealed through recurring images in
Yeats’ poetry.
To what extent does your interpretation of Yeats’ The Second Coming and at least one
other poem align with this view?
In your response, make detailed reference to The Second Coming and at least ONE other

poem set for study.

The prescribed poems are:

– William Butler Yeats, W B Yeats: Poems selected by Seamus Heaney
* An Irish Airman Foresees his Death
* When You Are Old
* Among School Children
* The Wild Swans at Coole
* Leda and the Swan
* The Second Coming
* Easter 1916

PatrickH

HSC
I've got a similar question mine is "An inherent tension between past and present is revealed through recurring images in Yeats’ poetry"

I think the stability and change are references to Yeats belief that history (or moments in history) spun out and then something say birth of christ ushers in a new era. So the beast in the second coming is a new era. And that stability and change is seen throughout history. Say Leda and the Swan - Leda is Ireland and the Swan is England. It's up to your interpretations. So just find a few parts in his poetry of stability (Wild Swans at coole, the swans are stable compared to him) and change (Easter 1916 - change in -English-Irish relations.). I think they're inherent because Yeats was modernist, so he viewed everything quite more cynically than the romantics and that why he writes about stability and change because of his context.

Haneenooo

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone!!! This is a year 12 Advanced English question that I have to complete within 2-3 days. 'An inherent tension between confrontation and resolution is revealed through characterisation in Shakespeare's Hamlet. To what extent does your interpretation of Hamlet align with this view? In your response, make detailed reference to the play.' Can someone PLEASE guide me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)