Hamlet quotes (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
So I'm pretty much done with my hamlet notes (98% done) and I have like so many quotes (maybe like 100....not even kidding) including analysis of key scenes, soliloquys, critics and moar analysis etc. Now realistically, how many do I need to know?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the best thing for you to do is actually to start writing essay plans answering different essay questions and test out just how many of your quotes are the most relevant. To be honest, even 50 quotes would have been far too much, you should cut down your notes and really consider quotes that contribute significantly to examining the thematic concerns of the text, and cut out the quotes that just show character development or advance the plot of the story. You need to urgently revise and cut down your notes to make sure you can actually use it efficiently for studying. Best wishes:)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So I'm pretty much done with my hamlet notes (98% done) and I have like so many quotes (maybe like 100....not even kidding) including analysis of key scenes, soliloquys, critics and moar analysis etc. Now realistically, how many do I need to know?
The more, the better.

What I personally did for Hamlet in the HSC, in terms of preparation was....

Memorise my generic essay - mainly the general themes, quotes, techniques and critics/productions references (obviously on the exam day whether it be HSC trials or the HSC itself or just an assessment, I'd always try my best to hit the question with my prepared material rather than regurgitate the essay as it is).
- It contained 4 broad areas iirc, like Uncertainty (the idea of appearance vs reality), Corruption, Mortality (existentialism) and Conflicting Paradigms, in regards to his quest for revenge, (around religious values, Humanist values).

My prepared paragraph on corruption sure helped me for the 2013 HSC Hamlet question :haha:

I also made like a quote/techniques/dramatic techniques bank (around 3 pages) to cover the key scenes of the play (e.g. the Ghost's first main appearance, the conversation between Gertrude and Hamlet) along with Hamlet's soliloquys and Claudius' single soliloquy.

Essentially, I think if you want to be close to fully prepared...

You want to know ''quotes'' so that you are ready for...
1. Themes - Corruption, Loyalty, Mortality, etc.
2. Characters - Hamlet, Claudius, Gertrude, Ophelia, R & G
3. A focus on the use of Dramatic Techniques
4. Key Scenes and possibly Hamlet's Soliloquys

You'll notice that some characters are related to certain themes... e.g. R & G in terms of ''loyalty'' or Claudius in terms of ''corruption'' or Hamlet in terms of ''mortality''.

Maybe 3-4 quotes on each theme, each character and each scene/soliloquy would be like very solid preparation.

If you have material on those 4 areas, you'd be pretty set I'd think :haha:

In terms of school trials, I think most schools tend to set more generic Hamlet questions... I remember my trials specified the keynote speech text-type (rather than a traditional essay) and the question was basically like ''Why is Hamlet is a memorable character?''. I just used my prepared essay (no extra Hamlet notes) and hit the question along with making modifications such as a more personal tone and inserting rhetorical questions to hit the text-type specification as well. (Got 18/20 for the Mod B Hamlet essay in trials :haha:)

But for the HSC, I prepared extra stuff (the quote bank for example) cause the questions tend to be more specific in the actual HSC exam.

Last edited:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
The more, the better.

What I personally did for Hamlet in the HSC, in terms of preparation was....

Memorise my generic essay - mainly the general themes, quotes, techniques and critics/productions references (obviously on the exam day whether it be HSC trials or the HSC itself or just an assessment, I'd always try my best to hit the question with my prepared material rather than regurgitate the essay as it is).
- It contained 4 broad areas iirc, like Uncertainty (the idea of appearance vs reality), Corruption, Mortality (existentialism) and Conflicting Paradigms, in regards to his quest for revenge, (around religious values, Humanist values).

My prepared paragraph on corruption sure helped me for the 2013 HSC Hamlet question :haha:

I also made like a quote/techniques/dramatic techniques bank (around 3 pages) to cover the key scenes of the play (e.g. the Ghost's first main appearance, the conversation between Gertrude and Hamlet) along with Hamlet's soliloquys and Claudius' single soliloquy.

Essentially, I think if you want to be close to fully prepared...

You want to know ''quotes'' so that you are ready for...
1. Themes - Corruption, Loyalty, Mortality, etc.
2. Characters - Hamlet, Claudius, Gertrude, Ophelia, R & G
3. A focus on the use of Dramatic Techniques
4. Key Scenes and possibly Hamlet's Soliloquys

You'll notice that some characters are related to certain themes... e.g. R & G in terms of ''loyalty'' or Claudius in terms of ''corruption'' or Hamlet in terms of ''mortality''.

Maybe 3-4 quotes on each theme, each character and each scene/soliloquy would be like very solid preparation.

If you have material on those 4 areas, you'd be pretty set I'd think :haha:

In terms of school trials, I think most schools tend to set more generic Hamlet questions... I remember my trials specified the keynote speech text-type (rather than a traditional essay) and the question was basically like ''Why is Hamlet is a memorable character?''. I just used my prepared essay (no extra Hamlet notes) and hit the question along with making modifications such as a more personal tone and inserting rhetorical questions to hit the text-type specification as well. (Got 18/20 for the Mod B Hamlet essay in trials :haha:)

But for the HSC, I prepared extra stuff (the quote bank for example) cause the questions tend to be more specific in the actual HSC exam.
1. Does conflicting paradigms include internal struggle? Or is it completely different?
2. Are dramatic techniques the drama production techniques or literary/poetic techniques? Or both? Apparently you can get slayed if you dont use the former.
3. 3-4 quotes from the 4 themes you mentioned or like everything? I did internal struggle, appearance vs reality, misogyny, uncertainty, delay, revenge, corruption, loyalty, existentialism and destiny. Any themes that seem unnecessary?
4. What were you key ideas when answering that question? That question seems so vague.

rangarised

HSC
I personally had about 300 quotes for Hamlet, which I recorded myself speaking and listened to over and over again. In all honesty, I remembered every single one of them on the day. I organised them both by character and by theme, so I could relate to them in different ways to help me remember them.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I personally had about 300 quotes for Hamlet, which I recorded myself speaking and listened to over and over again. In all honesty, I remembered every single one of them on the day. I organised them both by character and by theme, so I could relate to them in different ways to help me remember them.
Notsureifsrs

It's even harder cuz it's not in modern english.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've performed entire Shakespeare plays and not had to learn 300 lines.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Does conflicting paradigms include internal struggle? Or is it completely different?
2. Are dramatic techniques the drama production techniques or literary/poetic techniques? Or both? Apparently you can get slayed if you dont use the former.
3. 3-4 quotes from the 4 themes you mentioned or like everything? I did internal struggle, appearance vs reality, misogyny, uncertainty, delay, revenge, corruption, loyalty, existentialism and destiny. Any themes that seem unnecessary?
4. What were you key ideas when answering that question? That question seems so vague.
Not really a Hamlet expert (or English expert :haha:) but...

1. Well, the conflicting paradigms is the CAUSE of his internal struggle essentially. E.g. At times, his Christian values prevents him from avenging his father while his ''classical'' Roman values urges him to seek vengeance. He is torn between two conflicting worlds. If you want a sophisticated word in regards to this - I think you should look up '' Neoplatonism'' iirc.

2. Dramatic techniques are more-so like you said, the ''production'' techniques which specifically apply more to plays. Examples include soliloquy, dramatic irony, stage directions (e.g. asides), dramatic foreshadowing, the use of ''a play within a play'', the physical fighting between two characters which you can call ''dramatic action'' (lol), etc. You can even consider the appearance of the Ghost as a dramatic device - Deus Ex Machina which speeds up the plot since the apparition informs Hamlet about stuff earlier on.

Yes, you can get ''slayed'' (like Polonius ''O I am slain!'') if you don't use dramatic techniques. Literary/poetic techniques are great but I've heard of people getting hammered cause they lacked ''dramatic techniques'' - I mean you are ANALYSING A PLAY. I've heard from someone (went to a selective school, not my school though) that they did really great in all their English trial sections EXCEPT Hamlet because they didn't focus enough on ''dramatic techniques''.

3. From everything (e.g. Themes, Characters and Key Events) but some quotes can be used for MULTIPLE areas (quotes from Hamlet himself can be used if they specify a ''character'' question but also used if they specify a theme like corruption or something. Quotes from Horatio can be used if they ever asked you to look at the minor characters of the play - which I doubt but just making an example - yet it can hit the theme of ''loyalty'' as Horatio is very loyal to Hamlet).

Appearance VS Reality can be grouped under ''Uncertainty''. I don't think there's such thing as UNNECESSARY THEMES but in exam conditions, if they happen to give you a generic question - know what your best themes are and use them (around 3 or 4 - like corruption, uncertainty, etc.)

Misogyny and destiny/fate have like a 1% chance of being specified so unless you need to use those paragraphs on them, I think you probably won't need them but I guess it's useful to have just in case.

Well, let's look at the past few years for Hamlet...

HSC 2013 - CORRUPTION, ''USE OF TIME AND PLACE'' iirc.
HSC 2012 - Inherent tension between CONFRONTATION and RESOLUTION, CHARACTERISATION (a character's interactions with other characters)
HSC 2011 - ENDING/CLOSING SCENE (so they specified a scene)
HSC 2010 - DRAMATIC TREATMENT of STRUGGLE and DISILLUSIONMENT
HSC 2009 - HUMAN EXPERIENCE, LOYALTY

For HSC 2008 Mod B King Lear (Hamlet replaced King Lear), they asked ''How have DRAMATIC TECHNIQUES been used to....''
2006 Mod B King Lear - they asked you to ''support your evaluation (of the question) with a close analysis of TWO key extracts'' so you could choose 2 key scenes rather than them specifying a scene.

I think 2013 Independent trials paper asked you to CHOOSE ONE CHARACTER to analyse but can't remember clearly.

2010 CSSA Trials paper asked you about ''challenging ideas of LOVE and RIVALRY'' --> yeah, didn't prepare for LOVE or RIVALRY did ya for Hamlet? :p

What I'm really trying to get at is - the past questions indicate that they cover THREE AREAS essentially:
1. Themes - Loyalty, Corruption, etc.
2. Scenes - they can specify one and asked you to use it within your judgement of the play as a whole... or you might have to discuss some scenes which you have selected yourself.
3. Characters/Characterisation

You always have to cover dramatic techniques essentially if you want to get a good mark for Hamlet :)

4. It's been awhile since I last looked at my HSC English trials essay for Hamlet :haha: but I'll give this a shot.

As W. Hazlitt once said ''It is we who are Hamlet''. Hamlet, himself, is like a possible model of humanity. I emphasised how we can ''relate'' to him. Like for CORRUPTION and UNCERTAINTY for example - Hamlet is clearly affected by these things and obviously, all humans are influenced by these things as well. Conflicting religious beliefs is not only limited to Hamlet.

Essentially, I just used ''themes'' in regards to Hamlet (I think I chose 3 areas out of the 4 areas in my prepared essay) - to explain why I think he is memorable so for me, he is indeed memorable because we can relate to him (lol). There's many ways to approach such a broad question.

NOTE - I'm not some Shakespearean genius nor am I a HSC English master so yeah :p

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really a Hamlet expert (or English expert :haha:) but...

1. Well, the conflicting paradigms is the CAUSE of his internal struggle essentially. E.g. At times, his Christian values prevents him from avenging his father while his ''classical'' Roman values urges him to seek vengeance. He is torn between two conflicting worlds. If you want a sophisticated word in regards to this - I think you should look up '' Neoplatonism'' iirc.

2. Dramatic techniques are more-so like you said, the ''production'' techniques which specifically apply more to plays. Examples include soliloquy, dramatic irony, stage directions (e.g. asides), dramatic foreshadowing, the use of ''a play within a play'', the physical fighting between two characters which you can call ''dramatic action'' (lol), etc. You can even consider the appearance of the Ghost as a dramatic device - Deus Ex Machina which speeds up the plot since the apparition informs Hamlet about stuff earlier on.

Yes, you can get ''slayed'' (like Polonius ''O I am slain!'') if you don't use dramatic techniques. Literary/poetic techniques are great but I've heard of people getting hammered cause they lacked ''dramatic techniques'' - I mean you are ANALYSING A PLAY. I've heard from someone (went to a selective school, not my school though) that they did really great in all their English trial sections EXCEPT Hamlet because they didn't focus enough on ''dramatic techniques''.

3. From everything (e.g. Themes, Characters and Key Events) but some quotes can be used for MULTIPLE areas (quotes from Hamlet himself can be used if they specify a ''character'' question but also used if they specify a theme like corruption or something. Quotes from Horatio can be used if they ever asked you to look at the minor characters of the play - which I doubt but just making an example - yet it can hit the theme of ''loyalty'' as Horatio is very loyal to Hamlet).

Appearance VS Reality can be grouped under ''Uncertainty''. I don't think there's such thing as UNNECESSARY THEMES but in exam conditions, if they happen to give you a generic question - know what your best themes are and use them (around 3 or 4 - like corruption, uncertainty, etc.)

Misogyny and destiny/fate have like a 1% chance of being specified so unless you need to use those paragraphs on them, I think you probably won't need them but I guess it's useful to have just in case.

HSC 2012 - Inherent tension between CONFRONTATION and RESOLUTION, CHARACTERISATION (a character's interactions with other characters)

For HSC 2008 Mod B King Lear (Hamlet replaced King Lear), they asked ''How have DRAMATIC TECHNIQUES been used to....''
2006 Mod B King Lear - they asked you to ''support your evaluation (of the question) with a close analysis of TWO key extracts'' so you could choose 2 key scenes rather than them specifying a scene.

I think 2013 Independent trials paper asked you to CHOOSE ONE CHARACTER to analyse but can't remember clearly.

2010 CSSA Trials paper asked you about ''challenging ideas of LOVE and RIVALRY'' --> yeah, didn't prepare for LOVE or RIVALRY did ya for Hamlet? :p

What I'm really trying to get at is - the past questions indicate that they cover THREE AREAS essentially:
1. Themes - Loyalty, Corruption, etc.
2. Scenes - they can specify one and asked you to use it within your judgement of the play as a whole... or you might have to discuss some scenes which you have selected yourself.
3. Characters/Characterisation

You always have to cover dramatic techniques essentially if you want to get a good mark for Hamlet :)

4. It's been awhile since I last looked at my HSC English trials essay for Hamlet :haha: but I'll give this a shot.

As W. Hazlitt once said ''It is we who are Hamlet''. Hamlet, himself, is like a possible model of humanity. I emphasised how we can ''relate'' to him. Like for CORRUPTION and UNCERTAINTY for example - Hamlet is clearly affected by these things and obviously, all humans are influenced by these things as well. Conflicting religious beliefs is not only limited to Hamlet.

Essentially, I just used ''themes'' in regards to Hamlet (I think I chose 3 areas out of the 4 areas in my prepared essay) - to explain why I think he is memorable so for me, he is indeed memorable because we can relate to him (lol). There's many ways to approach such a broad question.

NOTE - I'm not some Shakespearean genius nor am I a HSC English master so yeah :p
calm ur farm

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC

1.Does time and place mean context+setting?
2. wtf is human experience LOL
3. wtf is love and rivalryoftroll
Love:
claudiusbangsgertrude4dayzzzz
i lahb yu ohphelibaby
Rivalry:
Fortinbrahhhh- gib land back pls
Laertes- 1v1 me

How long does the essay have to be or not to be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)