Hamlet's moral decline (1 Viewer)

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Hey guys,

My reading of Hamlet focuses on the corruption of Elsinore, focusing on the political corruption (Claudius and Polonius), incorporeal corruption (Gertrude and Ophelia) as well as physical corruption (eg death, poison motifs, Yorrick's skull etc).
My thesis is that the play focuses on Hamlet's attempts to be an avenger while maintaining honourability and morality - essentially avoiding being classed as like Claudius.

I'm trying to perfect my reading of the end of the play.

I believe that Hamlet is less decisive in its resolution than others of Shakespeare's canon; ultimately he does rid Elsinore of corruption (Fortinbras is honourable), however he does inflict immorality upon himself. I use the characters of Gertrude and Ophelia to explore this further (eg carrion, nunnery, frailty thy name is woman etc), as well as the representation of the final scenes (they are far less emotional, low modality final lines etc).

So, essentially, he achieves his goals of ridding Elsinore of corruption, but through the immorality he demonstrates with Ophelia and Gertrude, his stature as an honourable revenge hero is undermined.

Do you think that this reading of Hamlet's morality stands up to scrutiny?

Unfortunately I didn't come up with this in time to show my teacher, and I can't find any critics who share the same view. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to be writing something ludicrously wrong in the exam :)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It's possible to write something on that, I think many critics agree Hamlet is by no means a perfect person morally, but to argue that make sure you have a lot of quotes and textual references to back you up, don't oversimplify your argument.

mreditor16

HSC
It's possible to write something on that, I think many critics agree Hamlet is by no means a perfect person morally, but to argue that make sure you have a lot of quotes and textual references to back you up, don't oversimplify your argument.
KIRAKEN IS BACK! KIRAKEN IS BACK! KIRAKEN IS BACK! KIRAKEN IS BACK! KIRAKEN IS BACK! KIRAKEN IS BACK! :D

haha but yep agreed :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)