Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Excelling in Critical Study-Speeches(2015-2020)-from a 99+ ATAR HSC graduate

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Excelling in Critical Study-Speeches(2015-2020)-from a 99+ ATAR HSC graduate

Quote Originally Posted by essraa View Post
    Hi, do you do tutoring for HSC? I know it's really delayed, but better late than never I guess.
    Lol, yes I do

HSC

Re: Excelling in Critical Study-Speeches(2015-2020)-from a 99+ ATAR HSC graduate

Thanks so much for your guide, it's hard to come across people who provide so much knowledge for nothing! I was wondering if you had any of your past essays on this module as well as any other modules. I have troubles stringing it all together in essays :/ I was also wondering how much time I should spend on English every week, how much time did you spend?

Thanks in advance!
    strawberrye likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by rzahamed View Post
    Thanks so much for your guide, it's hard to come across people who provide so much knowledge for nothing! I was wondering if you had any of your past essays on this module as well as any other modules. I have troubles stringing it all together in essays :/ I was also wondering how much time I should spend on English every week, how much time did you spend?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi there, thank you for saying thanks-it means a lot to know what I write is helpful to people. Unfortunately, I no longer have any past essays on the modules because I lost both the laptop and USB that I had those stuff on, however, feel free to check out Crobat's English guide which also include samples of his essay which can be a good model for what good essays should look like: Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced.

I didn't calculate the precise amount of time I spent in English, but it is probably a minimum of 6-7 hours per week, I would leave one evening free to just work on my essay writing-it was difficult-but it paid off in the end-All my best wishes for your HSC

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    bump
    In the trials I ran my essay down this path

Para 1: Context Speech One
    Para 2: Rhetoric Speech One

Para 3: Context Speech Two
    Para 4: Rhetoric Speech Two

Do you think this is a nice way to tackle a broad essay question that doesn't specify rhetoric only. I only did this as I believe context isn't to be underestimated and makes a nice point of discussion into the reasoning behind the speech being given and background behind the speaker etc. My teacher also seemed to believe it was a good way to create the essay.

Thoughts?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pussypopper View Post

Do you think this is a nice way to tackle a broad essay question that doesn't specify rhetoric only. I only did this as I believe context isn't to be underestimated and makes a nice point of discussion into the reasoning behind the speech being given and background behind the speaker etc. My teacher also seemed to believe it was a good way to create the essay.

Thoughts?
    Are the context paragraphs with or without textual analysis.
    Economics (95) | Modern History (98) - State Rank | History Extension (48) | Mathematics Extension 1 (93) | Mathematics Extension 2 (lol) | English Advanced (94) | English Extension 1 (47) | English Extension 2 (50)

"If you aim low enough, you'll never be disappointed"

hit me up for tutoring lol

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessRick View Post
    Are the context paragraphs with or without textual analysis.
    Without I'd say, for example one of my drafts:

Interpreting the context of speeches greatly assists individuals in understanding the significant nature of justice as achieved through human experience. Ironically, Sadat’s attempt to foster peace in his speech “Address to the Israeli Knesset” contrasts his actions four year prior to its delivery in which he incited a the Yom Kippur Arab-Israeli war which ended only when Egypt, Syria and Israel accepted a UN imposed ceasefire war with Israel in 1973. Sadat, as the prime minister of the time, was enduring social pressure from overpopulation, impoverishment due to the gap between rich and poor, social instability, riots and strikes as well as military spending at 28% of govt. budget, crippling the nation socially and economically, thus enlisting the impetus of justice into Sadat’s jurisdiction to alleviate the pressures of his nation. En route to Israel, Sadat told TIME Magazine that “what I want from this visit, is that the wall created between us and Israel, the psychological wall, be broken down”, illustrating his sole intention to achieve justice in his experience to achieve a long-lasting durable peace. The exhausting Arab-Israeli conflict that beset Sadat’s human experience imbued the endeavour of justice as highlighted in his speech ‘Address to the Israeli Knesset’. Through understanding Sadat’s personal context, responders can comprehend the messages and values of Sadat, particularly the desire for justice, an enduring theme that remains pertinent today.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Thoughts?
    I usually don't recommend it, I always organise my paragraphs by ideas, never context and rhetoric in isolation, and to be honest, I have not yet seen any speeches essay-and trust me, I have read quite a few in my times of marking essays, that have adopted this structure. For me an integration of idea, rhetorical techniques and context is always preferable and much stronger, but that's just my opinion. I guess it might be too late to change your writing style now-just go with whatever have worked best for you so far and just make sure you always make sure you try your best to answer the question.

HSC

Okay how about this, I've included more textual reference and one rhetorical device, by which my next paragraph would be more rhetorical based.

My q was: "In your view, how have rhetorical techniques been used to reveal memorable ideas in the speeches set for study"

The value of context within a speech is immeasurable, in which the memorable ideas of a speech are amplified greatly with our appreciation of the background of each speaker and their address. Paul Keating's landmark 'Redfern Speech' was delivered a largely Aboriginal audience in Redfern and was a prolific movement by which it marked the first occasion an Australian political leader publicly acknowledged the past transgressions of colonial policy on the Indigenous. Keating's speech served as a harsh reminded of the past injustices committed by "us non-Aboriginal Australians", collectively challenging us as the audience to "extend the opportunity, care and dignity" to these people. The speech was incredibly important as it coincided with the Wik and Native Title legal disputes of the time, an opportunity Keating capitalised on to exhibit true leadership and provide a highly moral and principled stance on the contentious issue. As prime minister of the late nineties, he provided a national impetus to begin forging a national path to reconciliation evident as he implements inclusive language rigorously "we". By us as an audience understanding the political climate of Keating's era, it is overwhelmingly apparent that the speech was declared during a crucial time for Australia which sought to usher in a new age of reconciliation. It is through a deep comprehension of the speaker's context, that rhetorical devices are enabled to function and accentuate a speeches theme and message considerably for time to come.

Thanks for your help so far!

HSC
    Uni Grad

Okay how about this, I've included more textual reference and one rhetorical device, by which my next paragraph would be more rhetorical based.

My q was: "In your view, how have rhetorical techniques been used to reveal memorable ideas in the speeches set for study"

The value of context within a speech is immeasurable, in which the memorable ideas of a speech are amplified greatly with our appreciation of the background of each speaker and their address. Paul Keating's landmark 'Redfern Speech' was delivered a largely Aboriginal audience in Redfern and was a prolific movement by which it marked the first occasion an Australian political leader publicly acknowledged the past transgressions of colonial policy on the Indigenous. Keating's speech served as a harsh reminded of the past injustices committed by "us non-Aboriginal Australians", collectively challenging us as the audience to "extend the opportunity, care and dignity" to these people. The speech was incredibly important as it coincided with the Wik and Native Title legal disputes of the time, an opportunity Keating capitalised on to exhibit true leadership and provide a highly moral and principled stance on the contentious issue. As prime minister of the late nineties, he provided a national impetus to begin forging a national path to reconciliation evident as he implements inclusive language rigorously "we". By us as an audience understanding the political climate of Keating's era, it is overwhelmingly apparent that the speech was declared during a crucial time for Australia which sought to usher in a new age of reconciliation. It is through a deep comprehension of the speaker's context, that rhetorical devices are enabled to function and accentuate a speeches theme and message considerably for time to come.

Thanks for your help so far!
    I still feel like more explicit integration of techniques is important-because composers use techniques to best respond to their contextual audience and elicit the maximum emotive impact. For example, here's how one paragraph from my speeches essay looks like (This speech is no longer in the prescribed text list but it gives you a broad idea of how I integrated everything together in every paragraph)

Preceding insightful reflections of social realities, both speakers rationally highlights the inherent tension between the actual and possible to become an empowering platform upon which the provocative possibility of permanent peace and national unity can be constructed as a practical reality. Following her reference of the prejudices confronting the Indigenous communities, Bandler metaphorically characterises the insular ‘racist’ spectra within Australian society as prisoners ‘chained in their stubbornness’ and juxtaposing this minority with the majority who ‘are free’ and ‘fair-minded’, Bandler instils her responders with a sense of self-empowerment in realising the potential opportunities inherent in achieving cultural heterogeneity through unity. Bandler’s re-contextualisation of John Kennedy’s 1961 inaugural speech, “to the youth present…this movement should be one wherein we should ask not what is in it for me, but what is in it for us”- allows her to reveal the power of the younger generation to enact practical, social changes through participating in proactive, democratic citizenship. However, Bandler also highlights the infinite potential for all social spectrums to unite and achieve genuine reconciliation through a hypophora “Friends, what is reconciliation about? It is about promoting discussion.” where the conversational tone enables Bandler to highlight the potential of transformation is inherent within all responders, thus providing a powerful imperative for change. The use of distinctio and anaphora ‘it’s about’ in refining the definition of reconciliation, ‘it’s about those rights being enshrined in legislation. It’s about valuing the differences of those cultures that make up this country’, allows Bandler to further harness the impetus for change from democratic movements rather than diplomatic processes by equipping her responders with a distinctive and clarified vision of what practical and effective reconciliation strategies could involve. Consequently, Bandler compels her responders to capitalise on the inherent tension between the ‘actual’ slow reconciliation processes implemented by bureaucracies through contributing to the ‘possible’ vision of genuine national reconciliation and unity.

Cadet
    HSC

Hi strawberrye,
    I came across a critical question in regards to the complex nature of national identity, what does that mean?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Catz View Post
    Hi strawberrye,
    I came across a critical question in regards to the complex nature of national identity, what does that mean?
    By this stage, you should start thinking for yourselves-a skill very critical to excelling in exams. Essentially, consider there's always a balance between individual's desire to demonstrate their individuality as well as desiring unity/social connectivity and perhaps patriotism, how sometimes national identity can be disrupted/paradoxically made stronger by traumatic events-i.e. Deane's speech, or how it can be reshaped by readjusting past personal prejudices and actively employing transparent political diplomacy-i.e. Sadat's speech

Just some ideas to get you started-but really-at this stage-trust yourself in deconstructing the question Best of luck for your HSC exams tomorrow

Cadet
    HSC

By this stage, you should start thinking for yourselves-a skill very critical to excelling in exams. Essentially, consider there's always a balance between individual's desire to demonstrate their individuality as well as desiring unity/social connectivity and perhaps patriotism, how sometimes national identity can be disrupted/paradoxically made stronger by traumatic events-i.e. Deane's speech, or how it can be reshaped by readjusting past personal prejudices and actively employing transparent political diplomacy-i.e. Sadat's speech

Just some ideas to get you started-but really-at this stage-trust yourself in deconstructing the question Best of luck for your HSC exams tomorrow
    Thank you for the advice

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

What related texts do you recommend for this module?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    What related texts do you recommend for this module?
    You don't need to find a related text for this module

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Are you studying english at a university level?

You seem very dedicated to english

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Are you studying english at a university level?

You seem very dedicated to english
    No I am not studying English at a university level, right now I study law at university so I guess my passion for English has some correlation with that.

If anyone have any questions related to this module, please feel free to ask
    Last edited by strawberrye; 24 Mar 2016 at 8:55 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

If anyone have any questions related to this module, please feel free to ask
    Last edited by strawberrye; 22 May 2016 at 6:46 PM.

HSC

Hello, firstly, thanks for the effort you put in, it's really helpful. Hope your law degree is going well!

Quick question, our teachers are preparing us to respond to a question with 3 speeches. What are your suggestions for an essay structure?

Thanks in advance (pun intended)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by SudhiTheBoat View Post
    Hello, firstly, thanks for the effort you put in, it's really helpful. Hope your law degree is going well!

Quick question, our teachers are preparing us to respond to a question with 3 speeches. What are your suggestions for an essay structure?

Thanks in advance (pun intended)
    Hi there,
    Really up to what your teacher/you prefer, you can do three paragraphs-which are substantial and in depth or I prefer another approach, which is

Idea 1
    Para 1: Speech 1
    Para 2: Speech 2

Idea 2
    Para 3: Speech 1
    Para 4: Speech 3

Your teacher however may well have preferences to the actual structure, so best to just ask them, good luck for the essay

HSC

Hi there,
    Really up to what your teacher/you prefer, you can do three paragraphs-which are substantial and in depth or I prefer another approach, which is

Idea 1
    Para 1: Speech 1
    Para 2: Speech 2

Idea 2
    Para 3: Speech 1
    Para 4: Speech 3

Your teacher however may well have preferences to the actual structure, so best to just ask them, good luck for the essay
    Thanks a bunch! Hope you have a nice day

HSC

Hi, thankyou so much for this guide! Just wondering how to set out a feature article or speech if we are asked to write one this year in the HSC

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by antoniaaa_98 View Post
    Hi, thankyou so much for this guide! Just wondering how to set out a feature article or speech if we are asked to write one this year in the HSC
    Hi there, it is extremely unlikely they will ask that. But the best way to adapt is to focus on the the features of the form of each text, for example, if you are talking about feature article, you might discuss some contemporary issue and relate it to what we learn about these important ideas in speeches before, and generally use a more conversational/colloquial/direct speech tone, engaging the audience, having a personal opinion, and that sort of thing. If it is a speech, focus on engaging the audience, but you can use repetition and more suspense inducing devices to capture their attention. But the bare minimum, the ideas have to be there, the techniques also, and the rationalisation are the same, it is just the tone of your sentences will be less formal that's all

HSC

In my trial, I just wrote two long paragraphs, one on each speech (as well as intro and conclusion). This worked okay for trials at my school, but do you foresee a problem using this structure in the HSC? Also, when you refer to idea in the structure, does this mean different aspects of the question you are addressing?
    By the way, thank you so much for your guide, it helped A LOT

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Juliakate View Post
    In my trial, I just wrote two long paragraphs, one on each speech (as well as intro and conclusion). This worked okay for trials at my school, but do you foresee a problem using this structure in the HSC? Also, when you refer to idea in the structure, does this mean different aspects of the question you are addressing?
    By the way, thank you so much for your guide, it helped A LOT
    Depending on how closely your school's marking standards align with HSC marking standards. I usually don't like two long paragraphs-simply because you usually only express one idea per paragraph, and you should propose more than one idea for each speech to be able to holistically address the question as a whole often (particularly when there are two parts to the question such as a statement composed of two smaller ones) and also on a common sense approach, shorter paragraphs means it is easier and faster to read through which in turn means teachers are more likely to give you higher marks.

I am not sure what you mean by when I referred to structure-you might need to pinpoint to me the specific paragraph-because without context, I can't remember what I meant to refer to from something I have written over a year ago. Thanks for the compliment-all the best for your upcoming HSC and beyond
    "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you"
    2013 All Rounders| Eng Adv(93)|2 unit maths(95)|Chem(94)|Physics(91)|
    Offering personalised tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...g-classifieds/

HSC

I'm trying to be a little ballsy and synthesis sadat and atwood.
    My first idea is through equality (i.e. the need for religious equality vs gender equality) but am struggling to come up with a second idea.
    Plz halp XD
    I am rather fond of a sizeable Gluteus Maximus and I am incapable of uttering a falsehood

Quote Originally Posted by Carrotsticks View Post
    I too enjoy sliding up and down smooth vertical poles and creating lots of tension.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information