Thank You For Smoking? HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Can anyone help me out with conflicting perspectives here?

I know that almost everyone in the movie is against cigarettes and all... thats one perspective

BUT WHAT ABOUT AARON ECKHARDT's character??????

Is he actually FOR cigarettes, or does he PRETEND to be for cigarettes because it is his job? This is extremely confusing, and its hard to make a conflicting perspective out of it...

Please help, it is much appreciated

Those who answer can even have my essay when its done :D

Toranilor

HSC
I think Nick Naylor (Eckhardt)'s importance is not so much his own conflicting perspectives, but his position in the narrative as a whole. As a tobacco spokesperson, he is essentially the physical manifestation of the conflict between thetwo sides of the tobacco issue. His actions of public manifpulation could reflect not his personal opinions, but the fact that two sides of a debate are often interchangable, the prevailing or 'correct' argument merely being the popular interperetaion of events at the time.

You can use TYFS as a very 'meta' conflicting perspectives text. It's not presenting two conlficitng perspective in order to influence your opinion, but commenting on the nature of conflicting perspectives as a whole; how they arise, how they can be changed ect., through an exploration of what could be the biggest and most well known conflicing perspective in the world. Besides maybe religion.

Sorry if I waffled on there.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Ugh. You're all stupid.

The entire movie is about freedom of choice, not about pro or anti.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)