Anyone have list of english language techniques? (1 Viewer)

rebecca.weller

HSC
here you go mate

LANGUAGE TECHNIQUES

1- Onomatopoeia, Sounds like what it refers to eg. Pop, Bang etc.
2- Generalization, Doesn't allow for individual difference.
3- Assonance, Repetition of vowel sounds eg. Slow road to no ware
4- Descriptive, Describing.
5- Paradox, Contradiction seemingly false at first but is found latter to be a truth.
6- Instructive, Inform/enlighten/instruct.
7- Euphemism, Acceptable/mild expression for something not very nice eg. Instead of died- Moved
on to a better place.
8- Oxymoron, two words placed next to each other to show contrast eg. Parting is such a sweet
sorrow.
9- Personification, Giving human qualities to something lifeless eg. The door squeaked.
10- Parody, Conscious imitation of another word.
11- Repetition, Repeat a word/phrase/idea.
12- Formal, Conventional.
13- Denouement, Resolution Of plot, play etc.
14- Discourse, A way of communication usually in a group, institute etc.
15- Emotive, Creates emotion eg. Sad, happy etc
16- Hyperbole, Deliberate exaggeration for effect. eg. Endless cry of death and pain.
17- Jargon, Technical terms specific to a particular subject.
18- Metaphor, Something is said to be something else eg. You're a bear.
19- Contrast, To show difference when comparing.
20- Symbolism, Image used to represent an idea.
21- Informal, More appropriate in spoken language.
22- Smilies, Show how something is similar eg Like/as.
23- Rhetorical question, A question which does not require a response for it is implied.
24- Tone, How something sounds eg. Mysterious/serious etc.
25- Colloquial, Relating to conversation (Conversational/informal)
26- Alliteration, Repetition of sound eg. Big Blue Bike.

beksta xoxo

azn 2245

HSC
There is a technique that my teacher told me about but I don't know wt its called. I really dont know how to describe it well, but its the going up or going down a level in a conversation. Some examples:

These are from "Scarface"

Tony: "I kill a comunist for fun. But for a green card I carve him up real good"

Tony: "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women"

Elvira: "What makes you think you can be a father? You don't even know how to be a good husband!"

griffin86

HSC
Juxtaposition is another good one - two things in the same / close sentences that are quite opposite

Example:- The withered, wisened old man looked upon the bright, beaming young boy with deep, sunken eyes, yet the young lad stared up at the old man in bewilderment and curiosity.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
There are some websites too:

Figures of Speech Tables

BTW, I can confidently say that you have to memorise ALL techniques. I mean, you only need to know some more promiment ones such as juxtaposition, assonance, metaphor, alliteration, repetition and etc. You don't have to go to an extent where you write some ridiculously long technique (and if you mis-spell it, hm...) that many people aren't aware of. Save some space for your brain for other good ones.

Last edited:

colourprinter_1

HSC
dont forget visual imagery (collection of words and phrases that prompt an image represenation) and the double entendre (a word or phrase in a sentence that has a double meaning, the first, most noticeable being the obvious one and the second often being rude or risque)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)