Into the World (1 Viewer)

xXxBecxXx

HSC
Ok guys I have got an assignment:

You have been intived to speak to a group of HSC students on the concept of "Into the World". The topic of your speech is:

'How do other people encourage or discourage individual's discovering their place in the world?'

In your speech you must refer to your prescribed text Billy Elliot (the film) and atlest two other supplementry texts.

For one of my supplementry texts I have chosen "Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard and I am struggling to de construct this and find a picture that fits with 'Into the World'.

Any comments would be great.

Thanks

kirstie9191

HSC
hey i am doing the same assessment and are finding it difficult to located options for two suppl... text

i am doing from your friend Louis Dea'ne as a book by garry disher. it is an interesting book so far.....

The Big Q

HSC
N/A
The question is simply asking you about mentoring - who has help the character or characters achieve a change/transition in life, and who had stopped them trying to do so.

Eg: In Billy Elliot, the obvious two are the dnace teacher (mentoring) and the father (obstructing - for the most part). However, you could also be far less obvious and say society is obstructing (boys shouldn't dance) and that his friend is a positive influence (not caring that he is different).

An easy supplimentary text could be John Mayer's "No Such Thing", in which the songwriter compares his teachers' and peers' advice (They try to tell you stay inside the lines) to what he thinks is the correct way to progress through life - this only has an example of discouragement.

The film "The Graduate" is an excellent example of someone with no idea of what to do with their life receive heaps of advice he neither wants or needs. (although you are already talking about a film...so maybe not)

The Book "Deadly Unna" is an excellent look at a character who goes against the norm - notfollowing what people say simple because that's what i expected.

These examples work quite well with Billy Elliot as they are all have a subtext of one character going against expectations, so you can argue the 'making your way into the world despite discouragement' angle - or the fact that the main characters struggle because of the lack of a mentor.

Just remember, when choosing your supplementary texts to find ones that not only relate to 'Into the World' but also relate to your MAIN text.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
aww the thread heading was the title of my short story, damn now i might want to change it coz its been used for something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)