standard english - the global village (1 Viewer)

jockrussell

HSC
Hey i was just wondering if anyone has good notes on module c for standard english, the global village.

Also if anyone has any related texts to the global village. positive and negative perspectives please if you could.

ty...

lis_xxx

HSC
i dont rally have any good notes but the related material that we are using is erin brockovick
hope thats helpful

blundell91

HSC
this is what my teacher give us.... i dont really know if its going to help but here u go =)

This elective evaluates the negative and positive impact of the global context, media and technology on individual and community experience. Students explore how texts can communicate different ideas and viewpoints about living in a global village. The dean of the faculty of Economics and Commerce at Trinity, Professor Margret Abernetty has observed “survival in a competitive world will require an ability to live in a global community”
The term ‘global village’ was first carried in 1948 by Wyndham Lewis. It was popularised by Herbert Marshall McLuhan who evaluated the impact of media trends on human communications, describing how the world had been shrunk to the level of a village due to innovations in communications.
McLuhan optimistically felt that modern media could bring dispirate people together from isolated cultures into a single unit. His perspective put forward the idea that a “progressive homoginisation... of the world as a whole” would result from instantaneous communication. He asserted: “we have extended our concern our central nervous system itself in a global embrace, abolishing both space and time as far as our planet is concerned.”
He was aware of the negative potential for propaganda, intimidation and manipulative advertising. This has become a real contemporary concern for studies have shown widespread “uncertainty” within the so-called global village. This has been described by social theorist Len Ang as “a thoroughly paradoxical place, unified yet multiple, totalised yet deeply unstable, closed and open-ended at the same time.”
The global village is therefore a complex concept. According to many academics, it is more accurately described as the product of a globalisation process that is a characterised by a free-market economy.
Opposition to the rhetoric that such a world market is “fair and equal” has become militant as shown by many protests around the world. Studies practices have in fact marginalised non-dominant communities, lending weight to those bodies arguing against the touted benefits of globalisation.
Traditional notions of ethnicity or cultural/national boundaries have been destabilised. The dormant, self representation of core American cultural and political values has increasingly effect cultural difference by swapping local knowledge and identities.
Many contemporary texts such as the castle seek to satirically highlight this modern phenomenon by using the rhetorical strategy of representing an argument where the weaker position is in fact made to seem the stronger. By giving power to the underdog, the alienating, destructive qualities of the ‘goliath’ roller-coaster of globalisation are raised as important social issues. The impact of materialism, Amencanisation and trans-national corporative power threatens national values and attitudes and usurps the rights of individuals.

i also would like some help with additonal texts in relation to "the global village" thanx

mrwren

HSC
It seems to me that even this website is a fairly positive example of the impact of the global village on the individual. Also social networking sites such as Facebook have massive and obvious positive and negative impacts, you could use a screen shot and discuss the features of that page. There are also thousands of articles about the impact that these sites are having on society and how prolific they are amongst internet users (c. 175 000 000 users)

tim_daniela

HSC
im not really understanding this module at all...
we've got an in class essay in a couple of weeks and i know nothing....
this is what it is...maybe someone could help out how to tackle thick topic..

task description: In class you will be shown a 10 minute portion of a reality TV show. After viewing the program, respond to the following question, making reference to the TV show and to your prescribed text 'The man with 5 Children'
which is a weird play-scripted book, that doesnt really make sense to me.
Anyway our question is

Technology brings the world closer together. Who does it serve and what impact does it have on society?

now the things i might touch on would be the media influencing teenagers and materialistic things that can negatively influence the young female population etc...but im still a bit stuck....

caitiesh

HSC
I have two related texts you guys could use:
The lyrics to the song 'Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers' are great to refer to, and things like articles from the Tsunami devastation through southern Asia are also good, I have on article from Megan Shaw if you research that.

Hope that helps a little.

Freakstyler09

HSC
I have two related texts you guys could use:
The lyrics to the song 'Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers' are great to refer to, and things like articles from the Tsunami devastation through southern Asia are also good, I have on article from Megan Shaw if you research that.

Hope that helps a little.
Apart from the start of the song Californifaction, how else does this song relate to the global village, please tell me, I'm stuck on it.

zhangy

HSC
how does a man with five children relate to californication
p.s a man with five children is such a STUPID text srs...

arman

HSC
although it is good to look at the pos's and neg's in class -
i was told that an essay question is less likely to focus on pos's and neg's...
but then i think what could it ask? any ideas?
(btw bit late 2 be asking now 'ay?)

Last edited:

crowey01

HSC
hey i just need some notes for "a man with 5 children"
if anyone could help me out that would be awesome

and if you need a good related text "EdTv" is awesome. A random guy gets chosen and these cameras follow him around and screw with his life.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Global Village is seeing the world as a single community. The world is connected through the use of technology such as the internet. Examles include skype, facebook and Myspace, Twitter and also dating web sites such as RSVP. This allows us to keep contact with people overseas quick and efficiently. IT also brings all social and political functions together quickly. A Man With Five Children goes beyond Big Brother - this play questions the 'reality' behind televisionGerry is a documentary filmmaker who, one day each year, follows five children around with a camera. He shows the results annually on television. Yet for the children who grow up under Gerry's (and the nation's) watchful eye, the experience creates its own dynamic. Are the participants his subjects, his children, or his creations? What responsibility does a storyteller have, to his subjects, his audience, and himself? How much does Gerry take? Does the presence of the camera distort the lives it is supposed to be capturing? Spanning more than twenty years, this play invites you into a world of fractured celebrity and distorted vision.

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
closed lol... this is my thread from my old account... my assessment task went before anyone helped =(

CLOSED

nathan_pulbrook

HSC
ok so i was going to study joseph conrad's 1899 heart of darkness... as this delves into the human condition in relation to slavery and racism... the global village and the ease of intercultural contact without proper information on hand as to proper social etiquette could lead to a similar outcome on a more subtle scale... i haven't thought much about the actual connections but does anyone have any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)