Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey? (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
How the hell are we supposed to study something that makes absolutely no sense upon first viewing?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I thought it was just me that thought that. HEE HEE

Believe it not, it was GROUND BREAKING when it came out. Perhaps that is something to think about. When was it released? What could have been ground breaking?

Then go and read the book. It's MUCH MUCH better (of course) and will help you make sense of it (perhaps).

Good luck.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
Well being released in 1968, it was the most visual film of its time.

rozken123

HSC
N/A
it still stands as one of the most revolutionary films of all time, as well as just being an amazing movie to watch.

just talk about how significant it was to the science fiction genre and how it massively expanded the audience into popular culture. From a semi-niche genre/market to the film industry. It's all about how significant this text was to science fiction as a genre.

so happy we get to study this

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How the hell are we supposed to study something that makes absolutely no sense upon first viewing?
LOL - when I saw it, I was like: "Yup, definitely doing Brave New World and Neuromancer".

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
There's this amazing phenomenon of...

being able to watch a movie more than once, and being able to ask your teacher for help. If you still don't get it, probs dropping the course is an appropriate course of action.

Andrei01

HSC
all you have to do is compare it the countless b-grade sf movies that preceeded it in the 50's and 60's to see how much of a ground breaking text it really is. I find it the easiest to analyse of all our prescribed texts. Just try and look for conventions and how it reflect the composers purpose and context.

jes.h

HSC
I understand exactly what you meant, I cried at the end of the movie cos I thought "how on earth am I meant to discuss this when it makes no sense??? There goes my HSC!!!"

Basically I did the same thing though when I found out that our teacher took the dicator, totalitarian option of forcing the class to study Sci Fi. Let it be known by all that I have avoided Sci-Fi like the plague my entire life, to the point I have never even seen Star Wars, and thought that Stargate, Star Trek and Star Wars were movies in the same series. So being told to read Dune (hardest thing in my life) and watch 2001, I nearly died (Brave New World was bearable, since theres a heavy emphasis on the way society was organised, which is my kind of thing).

There is a website called "kubrick2001". It is a multimedia explanation of points in the film. I found that I can *vaguely* understand the movie now thanks to it - highly recommended!!!

Good luck!!

Me xox

ST!CKMAN

HSC
Stanley Kubrick's Space Odyssey is THE best science fiction movie ever
Your not meant to understand it 100% being mere mortals~

There lies the brilliance of the movie, millions of things to talk about.
No one interpretation is right, hence MINDFUCK

tash1601

HSC
so umm watch it again then?

it's the best available text in english extenion, along with brave new world...
space odyssey makes more sense to me than neuromancer times 10
Yep, I haven't finished reading it.. stupid, yes, but I understand 2001 more than neuromancer

mattbennett4

HSC
I loved 2001 so much. Its just one of those movies where you have to abandon the way you normally view a text - don't focus on the storyline, just focus on the feelings and the impressions it creates... like a painting. There is so much about human identity and our place in the universe... I wish I had've done science fiction not crime writing so I could study this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)