Essay Method - Structure (1 Viewer)

NickGero

HSC
More so for Crime, but all over I suppose, what do people think is the best way to structure an extension essay considering they're looking for a bit more flair and sophistication.

Is it best to:

- Make 2 overarching thesis statements that form the basis of basically two substantial body paragraphs in which you discuss all 4 texts integrated

or

- Have a distinct paragraph which focuses on each text, but just incorporate smaller links to other texts within that paragraph

To me the first way is much more effective in really answering the hell out of the question and supporting and drawing links, BUT the second way probably allows more in-depth analysis of the texts themselves.

Thoughts?

thorax94

HSC
I have written in both styles. The second one in my half yearlies and the first one in my trials. Both were fairly well received. Personally I feel that the question is more easily addressed and I have an ample amount of resources to spin myself out of trouble if I integrate them. Moreover, if you can find a happy medium between sophistication and quality, you will find that you won't actually miss out on much analysis. I do advise against putting ALL four of them in one paragraph. My suggestion is:

Paragraph 1:
Core 1
Related 1

Paragraph 2:
Core 1
Related 1

Paragraph 3:
Core 2
Related 2

Paragraph 4:
Core 2
Related 2

I feel that having two substantial paragraphs will annoy the hell out of the markers and more than likely cause you to skimp on techniques.

I hope your choice works out well for you.

Best of luck next Tuesday

NickGero

HSC
I have written in both styles. The second one in my half yearlies and the first one in my trials. Both were fairly well received. Personally I feel that the question is more easily addressed and I have an ample amount of resources to spin myself out of trouble if I integrate them. Moreover, if you can find a happy medium between sophistication and quality, you will find that you won't actually miss out on much analysis. I do advise against putting ALL four of them in one paragraph. My suggestion is:

Paragraph 1:
Core 1
Related 1

Paragraph 2:
Core 1
Related 1

Paragraph 3:
Core 2
Related 2

Paragraph 4:
Core 2
Related 2

I feel that having two substantial paragraphs will annoy the hell out of the markers and more than likely cause you to skimp on techniques.

I hope your choice works out well for you.

Best of luck next Tuesday
Thanks a lot, and yeah I like that style with the two texts. How broad or specific do you think a thesis statement should be for each of those four paragraphs? Sometimes with extension, I feel it's hard not to repeat oneself throughout an essay. Separation of material throughout the essay has at times proved problematic for me. For example, if you were looking at a question linking conventions and values, any idea of a possible topic sentence for a paragraph linking James and Chandler (Big Sleep)?

Thanks.

mattbennett4

HSC
I prefer the text-by-text method. I do a long thesis with all of my genre theory and literary theory and my ideas about crime writing... then do an paragraph that integrates all texts by discussing how they relate to the thesis. Then with each paragraph/section, I focus on only one one text but if its relevant I throw in a line or two linking or comparing it to another ... e.g. 'where Anil's Ghost avoids convention, The Real Inspector Hound parodies it', something like that... though probably more substantial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)