Crime fiction or sci fi? (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
Hey so I'm doing crime fiction/writing in my school for preliminary english extension 1 at the moment but I've checked the 2015 electives when I do the hsc course and crime isn't on the list, apparently replaced by comedy? So I'm just trying to figure out is my school doing it wrong or does it matter that I have to change genres for end of this year when I enter year 12? Would the school be better advised studying something like spec fic or sci fic related to prepare for year 12 course or is this how it's meant to be?

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
This is how it's meant to be.

Schools generally dictate the nature of their prelim courses - mine was "From here to Modernity" which I don't think any other school has ever done. I did crime fiction the year after for HSC.

So basically it doesn't matter. You won't be disadvantaged against any other schools. Focus on your skills and essay/creative practice for your best chances no matter the focal area.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think schools are allowed to do exactly the same modules/topics they do for Preliminary as they are for HSC English, hence if your school chooses to do the comedy genre in year 12, the school is not allowed to do the comedy genre in year 11 because it would disadvantage other schools who had done different modules and students from different schools will not be on a equal playing field. So don't worry-ultimately, at the end of the day, it is the critical thinking skills and writing skills you develop in English that allows you to ace modules, plus develop a bit of passion for the module you are doing is also advisable:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)