scaling... (1 Viewer)

kjj

what do you think will be my scaled mark if i reckon i got sround 69/84 raw???

I mean, what raw mark so you think i will need to get for over 90??

kjj

well, i do four unit but i dont think there will be a difference this year..........

Winsux

are you serious? surely they can't just change it after one year, cause last year 4unit people were scaled so high in this test...or that they were just smart enough to get the marks. but the mean etc. provided on this site is higher than in 4unit

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year, the 4U ppl doing 3U got scaled more than the 2U ppl doing 3U because of some anomalous effect in their arthimetics or something (UAC's)
but this year, 3U scaling will be common for both 2U and 4U candidates

nakata

its really hard to say how they will do it this year. From what i hear, last year they scaled 4U pretty high, which is which there has been alot of people doin 4U this year (at least in my school), which might mean they will reduce scaling to not as high as last year. But there is also other people who say that your 4U mark really depends on your 3U mark, so the main thing is to go really good in 3U and go ok in 4U and you should be scaled really well.
but again, others still reckon, and this is what i think, no matter what happens in terms of scaling, 4U is still goin to be one of the, if not the highest, scaling subjects, so you shouldnt really be worried.

Nusrat

i hate to say thi but the scaling is gonna change.......i reckon it is gonna change a lot cos some subjects deserve the scaling:(

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Uhm, they don't "choose" what the scaling will be for any particular course.

It is all calculated mathematically (and objectively). In any particular course, the performance of the candidature in all the courses they took is considered. The scaled mean for each course is determined by simultaneously considering all of those performances.

If the 4u candidature, as a whole, is not as 'academically able' as last year's 4u candidature, then it will not be scaled as high.

In 1988, 4u maths had absolutely phenomenal scaling, which caused many more students to take it in 1989 (when they were obviously unable to cope with it). As a result, in 1989, 4u maths was actually scaled down. I doubt that will be happening this year, but the example should emphasise that scaling is a very dynamic process.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
i believe this years 3u will be scaled better or higher than last years 3u, this is because the 4u ppl are now counted and as the scaling is based of the performance of the ppl in all their subjects, this will tend to pull the 3u marks up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)