How many words in a 5 min speech? (1 Viewer)

kyokaku92

HSC
I have a Belonging speech due tomorrow and I realise I may have written too much for a 5 min speech (approx 1400 words). I have incorporated a lot of techniques and quotes in my speech and my teacher has said my information is brilliant, I don't know which parts of my speech I should take out and I'm stuck. Does anyone know the word amount for a 5 min speech and how I should restructure my speech (bearing in mind I have to relate romulus my father and two others into my speech (belonging))?

If you want to help edit my speech, I can PM you, but I'll need a reply quickly by tonight or this arvo.

Thanks

rigellian

HSC
A 5 min speech in my experience is about 750 - 800 words in my experience. Then again, that's the pace of how I speak. If you spoke fast, you might be able to cram in 900 words. Definitely don't go for over 1000 words. I've got pretty reasonable marks for 5 min speeches too. ( 17/20, 13/15)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Why don't you just fuckin' time how long it takes to read it out then divide words by minutes...

kyokaku92

HSC
A 5 min speech in my experience is about 750 - 800 words in my experience. Then again, that's the pace of how I speak. If you spoke fast, you might be able to cram in 900 words. Definitely don't go for over 1000 words. I've got pretty reasonable marks for 5 min speeches too. ( 17/20, 13/15)

Yea, I talked to my teacher and she says about 800-900 words is enough, the only thing that worries is me is that I have incorporated a lot of quotes and techniques ( I am using toy story and holes) as supplementary texts and that already uses a lot of words. Since Romulus my father is the main text I have to talk about, I was thinking 2/3 should be on Romulus and 1/3 on the other texts. Would that suffice?

rigellian

HSC
Yea, I talked to my teacher and she says about 800-900 words is enough, the only thing that worries is me is that I have incorporated a lot of quotes and techniques ( I am using toy story and holes) as supplementary texts and that already uses a lot of words. Since Romulus my father is the main text I have to talk about, I was thinking 2/3 should be on Romulus and 1/3 on the other texts. Would that suffice?

Yeah, sure. Do what floats your boat. You have 1400 words though, so i would really be slashing and culling that speech. Look through it and keep your strongest points and just lose the others. Or otherwise, try and keep it as concise as possible. The focus is on Romulus and your criticism of Romulus will be be marked alongside everyone else's. Although, I reckon that equal screentime for each text would be good.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The average speaker delivers between 120-180 words a minute. Therefore, you would want no more than 900 words. I can do a five minute speech with only 600 words, though I slow down and gesture more when I speak.

Basically you need to remove at least 500 words. Firstly remove anything you've doubled up on. Then remove unnecessary proof (or extra evidence). Finally, it worst comes to worst, choose your most important ideas, and cut the rest.

A 5 minute sppech is all about how you can best utilise your time. This does not mean speaking really fast to get over 1000 words in...

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'd say 850 max. I used ~650 tops for my 4 minute speeches, and I got 20/20 for both.

suling

HSC
Am I the only one that doesn't use a word count for my speeches? I just time them, if they don't fit into the time limit, I gradually just cut out or rearrange bits until it does.
..works for me

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
IMO, you can't deliver 1400 words in 5 minutes without seriously compromising presentation.

jet

Banned
HSC
Approximately 800 as others have said. Maybe do even less - ensure that you are able to gesture and pause etc etc and make it appear comfortable. With 1400 words you'll be rushing and severely affecting your mark.

richman92

HSC
i did a speech on ESL few days ago and found out 600 words is best
Make sure you make a speech but not read the it

h3ll h0und

HSC
same situation as u ... i had to cut down from so much...rite now iv got 855 words for my Module C speech >.>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)