Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assessment: Viva Voce

HSC

Re: Assessment: Viva Voce

Thanks guys,
    My Viva Voce is next Tuesday (eek! Only a week)

My teacher today mentioned that you have to somehow relate the inspirtaion/ your major work to studies done in English Advanced or Extension 1.. is this true? On the sheet I was given it was not specified.

I guess I will have to ask her...

Never mind my mindless babble

HSC

yeah of course you will have to whether or not it is specified

HSC

I really don't know why it has to be related back to the course, but nevertheless it does (easier to assess I suppose). The teacher will probably want to know how you've 'expanded' upon the ideas you have examined during your coursework rather than just how they relate. It can be pretty confusing at times to know what to say. Well if your Ext. 1 topic is a crime fiction and your writing a detective story it shouldn't be too hard, especially if there's a journey involved too. Just take your story and hammer it into the mould of your course, in more eloquent language of course.
    "Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it." - Dave Barry

Courses: 4U English, 2U Maths, SDD, Modern History, Extension History, Economics
    Any Questions?
    Email: pungemo@gmail.com
    MSN: r_sheepie@hotmail.com

HSC

yup; after all english EXTENSION is an extension (in a very literal sense) of the english coursework. there are many strands which can be linked; if you did critical theories in yr 11 (psychoanalyst, structuralist etc) you could say that your work is a result of this or that theory, etc. Also, you could make passing reference (en passant) to your advanced coursework - if there is a journey involved, if there is a powerstructure (powerplay) or etc.

HSC

90 people doing extension 2 in the one school is freakin ridiculous.

We just had our Vivas and they went for about 30 minutes each, we had to show/read a short excerpt from our video/written MW and then answer a series of questions on the draft specifically and then our MW in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryanbeauty
    If the US is really concerned about Terror I think it's easiest strategy might be perhaps nuke all islamic countries and kill all of them since muslims are responsible for close to 99.9% of terrorism don't you agree?

Fidelitas, Veneratio, Integritas

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by The Brucemaster
    90 people doing extension 2 in the one school is freakin ridiculous.
    Not really, however it takes a certain mentality to have this sort of thing happen. Hornsby Girls has a long history of being very english-orientated from Yr 11(however the math is good as well), and I believe Baulkham Hills is following a similar route.

Quite a few will drop, however. I'd be suprised to find more than one third/one half a grade handing in an EE2 major work, however realistically anything is possible.

jhakka

90+ is huge. We only managed 13 in our group, with one person not finishing his Major Work. From memory I think he handed it in anyway, though.

Elderberries?
    HSC

We have 10, 11 at the beginning but one dropped.

You guys are soo lucky... Mine is tomorrow, and we aren't allowed to bring ANYTHING at all into the interview, just me and two english teachers. It's 20 minutes long, and we're asked 5 set questions. THAT'S FOUR WHOLE MINUTES EACH ANSWER! I don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm pretty sure I know what my process is and all, but I just don't know how I'll make the time.
    English Extension II, Maths Extension I, SOR1, Ancient History, Drama!

Cadet
    HSC

i did the same thing, 2 teachers 20 mins. its not that bad. adivce - known your work, know what your actually doing, purpose, ideas etc and practice a trillion times what u gonna say 2 em, do a mock viva with mum or your dog if your 2 nervous to face another human being yet.

HSC

Personally I feel that if you're passionate about your work you should be able to talk about it at length. To me it just seems easy, although the creative writing involved with my journal was a little extreme. If you know what you've done and what you intend to do it shouldn't be a problem. Just relax and have a conversation with your teacher.
    "Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it." - Dave Barry

Courses: 4U English, 2U Maths, SDD, Modern History, Extension History, Economics
    Any Questions?
    Email: pungemo@gmail.com
    MSN: r_sheepie@hotmail.com

HSC

Yeah but even at Hornsby theres still nowhere near 90 people doing extension 2. As far as i know theres only about a dozen or so people doing it (i could be wrong but theres nowhere near 90). Even as a percentage of the whole grade thats still a considerable amount of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryanbeauty
    If the US is really concerned about Terror I think it's easiest strategy might be perhaps nuke all islamic countries and kill all of them since muslims are responsible for close to 99.9% of terrorism don't you agree?

Fidelitas, Veneratio, Integritas

HSC
    N/A

Yeah but even at Hornsby theres still nowhere near 90 people doing extension 2. As far as i know theres only about a dozen or so people doing it (i could be wrong but theres nowhere near 90). Even as a percentage of the whole grade thats still a considerable amount of people.
    Last year there was about 60 (although that's not the final number), and HGHS *does* only have 120 girls per grade... I'd think there was something wrong if 3/4 of the grade did EE2, lol!!! Other schools like Baulko are bigger. Whilst not huge, they're competitive enough to push for a huge number like 90 for EE2... not saying they are doing it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

In my grade we had a final number of 34 doing EE2, I would imagine somewhere between 20-40 doing it currently.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by glitterfairy
    In my grade we had a final number of 34 doing EE2, I would imagine somewhere between 20-40 doing it currently.
    Hot damn, there's only 3 of us doing it at my school. I think I'd prefer the smaller class, it's good to read over each others and see how we're all going. Although, it does make it a lot harder to hide bad marks, lol.

Our Vivas were yesterday, 20-40 minutes long depending.. we sort of didn't time it and just went on as long as we wanted too. I can be the first to say that my ranking will still be 3 out of 3, lol. I'm not particularly good at talking to other people, and one of the teachers who was doing the interrogation intimidates the crap out of me.

Ah well. No use crying over spilt milk.

HSC

wow there's only 4 people doing it at my school
    Anyway, part 1 of my Viva is tomorrow, an interview with three teachers, answering set questions, and the next wednesday a presentation to the yr11 ext 1 class. I half wish it was in front of the yr12 class because there are only 3 people in that class who aren't doing ext2

HSC

Ahhhh!!!!
    My Viva Voce is in week 4 of this term!

Am I the only one whos Viva voce is so early in the course?

HSC

um mines early next term.. lol..
    Advanced English, Extension English 1, Ancient History, PD/H/PE, Studies of Religion and General Maths

I joined the group hug. I win.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kloudsurfer
    Ahhhh!!!!
    My Viva Voce is in week 4 of this term!

Am I the only one whos Viva voce is so early in the course?
    Mine's tomorrow.

Oooh, i just felt a sag in my pants. Uh-oh.

HSC

mine's in 3 weeks. I would rather it was next term:P

HSC

So I stuffed mine up.

Completely.

And still came 2nd out of 3.

HSC

Mine's been moved to after the holidays.. our ee2 class has a grand total of three participants. And one actually good teacher (a rarity in my school). I'm weirdly looking forwards to it... I'm the pale sweaty person who looks like they're gonna up-chuck whenever it comes to oral tasks so I don't knwo what's happening to me... too much work is addling my senses. For people who have already doen theirs, what worked well and what went wrong?

HSC

I have mine tomorrow, and I'm so worried about it.
    My plan involves having everything I could possibly talk about on posters, just to guide me along. I have a tendancy to start improvising when I'm nervous.
    O__O;;

I really don't enjoy speeches.

HSC

Mine's next Tuesday. I have done nothing to prepare for it yet. I have written less than 600 words of my 6000-8000 word short story.

I literally CAN NOT THINK when I have to say ANYTHING to anyone, in ANY context, let alone being assessed.

omg stress!!! *bangs head against desk*
    ~~~ g0|_d3|\| gR4/\/\ oF 5p4/\/\ ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts
    i hope if you meant this you've just hung yourself
    Selling textbooks

Cadet
    HSC

Had my viva today and it went better than i expected

HSC

Mines tomorrow. Am I preparing? What's preparing? I have all these people talking to me on MSN >_<

I love my work and I can talk about it lots and stuff but I'm still scaredypants. *head explodes in a gooey messy gory display of happy happy*
    2007 HSC: English Advanced, English Extension I, English Extension II, Modern History, Society & Culture, Information Processes & Technology
    2007 UAI: 95.20
    2008: B Economic & Social Sciences @ USyd

ECOP1001::SCLG1001::ARIS1671::GOVT1202

Peter, I can see your house from here!

Blah.
    HSC

I have mine on wednesday and instead of feverishly writing a story so I have something to talk about, I am feverishly writing about how I should be writing. So if I fail I blame you. ('you' being the general BOS populous)
    I've restarted me story 4 times and am curriently using one I wrote for journeys in adv.
    The word 'screwed' springs to mind...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information