Critique my Major Work? Last minute major change! (1 Viewer)

Nekojin

HSC
Heya guys. Okay, so, I wrote my major work originally as a sort of speculative fiction in the vein of Alice in Wonderland, with sections from the real world and sections in a fantasy world. It dealt with death, but particularly grieving.

People didn't respond very well to the work as it stood, and so after failing to find a solution I have scrapped the fantasy idea and turned it into something different set entirely in the real world. The copy I'm attaching is not done and barely edited, so don't worry - I'm not handing it in like this. But any feedback would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated.

View attachment 16936

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read. ^^

HanT

HSC
I only read the first paragraph so far, but its sounding good.
Is that within the 6000-8000 word limit? It doesn't seem like it, is all.
But you're probably working hard to get it in on Friday.
So far so good I say.
Good luck with it!!

HSC
Hey, i read the first page and a bit and its looks to be progressing nicely. Sorry i still have a heaps load of work to do so i can't read all of it.

I like your use of the Kubler-Ross model to start off each chapter *thumbs up*

But if you work hard for the rest of the week, im sure you can get it nicely finished and polished.

How goes your reflection?

Nekojin

HSC
Thanks for the feedback.
My Reflection needs work as I haven't done much to correct it to my new genre/plot/everything. x.x
Hence my rush to get the piece finished. But I'm hopeful for getting it all done nicely.

-tal-

HSC
Hey, it's going pretty good so far, I'm speed reading it, but you seem to have a minor verbosity issue.

I take it you're exploring the effects of taking mental pills? (I'm being serious) And the conflicting images in her subconscious are making her go even worse? (I need to be sure I'm reading it right)

I suppose you could try to switch perspectives, instead of the second person, I think minor switches into third person could work well, if you're aiming for a Matrix-style nihilistic approach to exploring the dream vs reality theme that you have going. But so far, the second person is working.

A major one: the piece as a whole isn't working. Breaking it up into anger, denial, depression, bargaining etc. was really good, but the one thing that's failing your idea, is an actual catalyst, what caused her to go to the next stage of depression? And more importantly, show me. There's a fair bit of telling - you want the showing part to come through.

The imagery in each section is done incredibly well, but there's no link between one stage and the next. If there is, I can't see it. How did the protagonist manage to sink so far? Are there consequences for this? (I know the husband part was a minor "consequence" but I'm gonna need something bigger), and most importantly, what exactly changed in each part?

And the biggest fault: it's not engaging.

Although, this: [FONT=&quot]"Back at their home, emptied of the trappings of family life, a farewell waited on the kitchen counter with all the audacity of a shopping list."[/FONT]

captures the motherly housewife feel really well.

This:
[FONT=&quot]As the last of the men trailed out, and her daughter's room was empty, she stepped out into the fresh morning, watching the truck containing all her once-treasures drive away. She locked the door of her perfect apartment and strode without hesitation out into the streets, holding the sweet-scented bouquet. It was time for a last goodbye, a last bouqet, a last daily trek to her child's resting place. And then, with the pills behind her and the misplaced room emptied, she could rest. [/FONT]

Could be turned to this:

[FONT=&quot]As the last of the men trailed out, she stepped out into the fresh morning, watching the truck protecting all her once-treasures fade. She sealed her once perfect apartment and strode without hesitation out into the streets, clutching the blossoming bouquet. [/FONT]

I thought the changes I made in that paragraph would be good at juxtaposing the language you used for the earlier stages of your story. Like she could renew her life, move on in a way. So I thought making it more positive and less "heavy" could make the change more obvious. The sentence I cut out, I couldn't substitute, but I don't think it was making the impact it should've at this stage in the story.

Also, it seems you're dwelling a bit too much on the feelings part.

=/ hope that was helpful

Last edited:

memaa

It's unpossible!
HSC
Nekojin I think its good, its getting there:) Dont worry about the other guy he doesn't know what he's goin on about. Goodluck with it, im sure you'll do well.

xxx

Dota55

HSC
Umm i haven't read this is any particular detail (too tired... :( ) but from the looks of it its quite good tbh.

Nekojin

HSC
Thank you, everyone who commented. Tal, much of what you said is what I'm struggling with a little myself, so that was really helpful. I'm trying to work in some contrasting segments to break up the doom and gloom emotional stuff. But actually, the piece is more about grief itself rather than purely medication (although that is a sort of sub-theme).

Dota55

HSC
Hey but um, i think what you need now isn't so much reassurance as criticism. You need people to say whats wrong with the major work, otherwise you won't be able to improve on it.

jamesboyd9

HSC
I only read about half of it, cause I've got an exam tomorrow, but it's sounding really good. Ah, being only an average advanced english student I can't really give you any useful tips or anything, but I enjoyed it.

I laughed at that dude who was paying it out. I bet he has a LOT of friends and will have a very happy life....

Girls who do extension 2 english tend to be attractive.

Jezzakar

HSC
might i just ask, when exactly are you supposed to hand this in? mines due in wednesday and im only worried about my reflection statement. do you think youll have it done? wouldnt it be wiser to go with your previous, finished story? im sorry i dont have the time to read what you have but, given my stressful experiences i cant imagine what you're going through.

Nekojin

HSC
It's due Friday, but my previous story wasn't finished either.

-tal-

HSC
Nekojin said:
Thank you, everyone who commented. Tal, much of what you said is what I'm struggling with a little myself, so that was really helpful. I'm trying to work in some contrasting segments to break up the doom and gloom emotional stuff. But actually, the piece is more about grief itself rather than purely medication (although that is a sort of sub-theme).
Friday??
=| I'll try ripping it apart properly this time. What are you struggling with?

Nekojin

HSC
I'm trying to make the husband a deeper character, and move away from the mopey emotional stuff by adding contrasting segments of memories or dreams. I'm also not sure whether to leave the ending as it is. Also, the catalysts you mentioned between the chapters is something to think about, although the times are not supposed to be immediately after one another so I'm not sure what to do. Here's the most recent draft, only a few hundred under the word limit now:

View attachment 16938

Classic Rudiger

Such if Life.
HSC
wow
Nekojin.
if you're stilll nervous about the fact its unfinished and your reflection statement needs to be changed, the be reassured by the fact I still have 1500 words of my final short story to write and a reflection statement.
mines due Friday.
good luck anyone doing it.
specially if you're in my situation.

Nekojin

HSC
Wow, goodluck getting it done! I'm still in my trials too, so theres extra stress unfortunately, but I am confident I will get it done.

-tal-

HSC
Sorry it took me a while. man that was long. Any how, decided to leave all criticism I have in your work. :) it's too long to post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)