Should I take up Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
I really want too, and my teachers reackon i should.

But my sister and cousin both really hated it, heaps of people at school that have done it in the past (frineds and other people) say that it is not worth all the hassle.

What are your opinions cause i think it sounds so much fun and right up my alley.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
it is a lot of fun but a lot of hard work. i think you would like it. just start off with it anyway and if you get nowhere you can drop it.

lucidassembly

HSC
Since I handed mine in two days ago, I feel I can answer this question quite thoroughly :p

It's a lot of work, a lot of hassle, and completely frustrating at times. I went through about 7 ideas before finally settling on my final one, not to mention all the changes you have to make throughout the process of writing, editing and re-drafting.

With that said, it was an insane amount of fun at times. When you've finally finished it after an entire year, even if there are parts that you want to strangle and choke to death, it's an amazing feeling knowing how much work you've actually put into it.

I must warn you though lol, you really have to be prepared to put in the time and effort. It has to be a constant process throughout the year, and if you have other subjects which will prevent you from giving ext 2 the time it needs, you really need to consider it carefully. I remember having barely no time to study for my trials because our ext 2 Report was due just before.

Also, if you do choose it, you have to make sure that your piece is supported by extensive research. That (along with a very clear intended audience + purpose, and a clear link to either the Adv or Ext 1 course) is one of the main things that the markers look for. You need to make sure you choose a topic which can therefore be researched thoroughly. It's not just about being creative... the 'process' is just as much (if not more) a part of the course.

If your teachers are recommending that you do it, that's a really positive sign. It's a demanding course, and they wouldn't be doing that if they didn't have faith in your abilities :)

Just one more piece of advice lol... try not to make your concept/thesis too complex and overly-complicated. I did that, and thus made life SO much more difficult for myself. Our teacher showed us one of last year's pieces from our school that got into the book, and it was just so simple. Trust me... don't confuse yourself into a corner like I did. Be critical and imaginative, but just don't overdo it with the amount of things you stick into it.

With all of that said, good luck! I hope you take ext 2, because it really is a fulfilling course.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
yup
you should take it up =]

and if it's not what you want
you can always drop back

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
pretty sure i'm gonna take it up. And i already have an idea for both critical response and preformance poetry

not.addie

HSC
yep i say that you definitely should as well. the course is really unique as well, so its a nice break from all the others.

just one piece of advice...when you start in term four and you've got your idea and everything, and you are sitting around on a friday night watching network ten's 34895734957943857 showing of 'about a boy', start writing. even though it might be months and terms away, start then!!
heaps better then doing it two hours before its due.

HSC
not.addie said:
just one piece of advice...when you start in term four and you've got your idea and everything, and you are sitting around on a friday night watching network ten's 34895734957943857 showing of 'about a boy', start writing. even though it might be months and terms away, start then!!
heaps better then doing it two hours before its due.
I think this can be said for all subjects, not just EE2.

But, Marcquelle - I think that you should do it. What have you got to lose, you can always drop it if it isn't for you.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
EEII was my best and most enjoyed subject. There's a lot of freedom and it's fun if you make it so.

Defintely give it a go at least. If you don't like it or find it too hard, then the option to drop should always be available to you.

Good luck. :)

chopsticks0209

HSC
i completely agree with lucidassembly and Charity_F [i apologise if i spelt those wrong XD]

i've also given in my EX2 work and let me just say, you seem to have a great mindframe for the unit. if you really want to, and if you believe that it's fun and 'right up your alley' then that's an excellent approach and i encourage you to choose it for yr 12.

HOWEVER.

if, like me, you thought you could handle it but it turns out you CAN'T, MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN A POSITION TO DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT. [sorry. *cringe*]

DON'T choose it SOLELY [?] because your teachers thought that it'd be a good idea. sure, it's definitely a good sign and all but please please PLEASE think very carefully about whether it would be great or detrimental to your study.

i thought i loved the subject, but it turns out that because i wasn't as tight with the teachers and because i didn't think about what i was going to write about, everything started to fall apart. HAVE A BACKUP PLAN for this topic, because if it turns out you don't like it, and you CAN'T drop it it will be a WORLD. OF. PAIN.

you MUST do everything according to the syllabus and guidelines [but then again, what subject doesn't adhere to the syllabus XD], you have to get all the research done, you MUST keep up with the journal [otherwise it'll be ABSOLUTE HELL trying to scramble for ideas for your viva voce, your report and you'll be up at 4am trying to scribble while your eyes are rolling back in your head.]

you've got to understand WHAT YOUR MEDIUM ENTAILS as well. be absolutely SURE you know what you're going to do for your work and i know this seems incredibly obvious, but choose the medium that will fit your strengths. if you're good at writing essays, then choose a critical analysis. if you're good at snapping your fingers and summoning stories, then choose a short story [btw, has anyone actually thought about that name 'short story'? it's FREAKING 6000 - 7000 WORDS LONG. HOW IN HOLY CHEESE PANCAKES IS THAT SHORT =__=.]

ALSO, you have to be prepared to definitely WORK YOUR ASS OFF with this subject. this isn't like the normal english where you can cram for it and crap on in the exam and make up texts and whatever. THIS IS THE BIG SHIT. it's like committing the biggest crime EVER if you don't do everything right, and you get tortured, salt rubbed into the wounds and thrown in jail because you've committed a CRIME.

do i even know what i'm talking about =___=. obviously not. i'm caught up in the moment. [sorry guys]

anyway crapping on ...

yeah, so basically i'm just saying think REAL carefully about what you're going to put yourself through.

have a damn clear idea about what you're going to choose as your medium, do PLENTY OF RESEARCH [you've got be DROWNING in research before you start anything] keep up to date with your journal [this of course can be flexible, but yeah, everyone tells you to write in it and everything] PREPARE YOURSELF for the proposal, the viva voce and the report. those are basically repeated tests of who your audience is, why you're doing it, how it's a link from EX1 and/or advanced english and all that. [once again, obvious, but DON'T START THE NIGHT BEFORE or you'll get 5/20 or something.]

you've got to RAPE this subject or GET RAPED. [ O____O ]

trust me on this. cos i got absolutely killed by this subject. KILLED.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
As each successive year tells the next 'Don't do what I did and leave things to the last minute'
But nothing changes.

OP, If you can deal with high-pressure in short periods of time, after waiting many months before you start anything (we all did it), then go for it.

And like Chopsticks here is saying... prepare to have a unit fallback to drop this monster if it gets out of hand.

It all starts out looking like a manageable garden... but you turn your back for one minute, and you find it hasn't been one minute - it's been six months. And that garden is now the Amazon rainforest.

Happy trimming :)

HSC
yeah im considering taking up the second extension as well, cos it feels better than ext2 math. I say if you like ur english, you should go for it, cos self motivation's is going to be a huge part of your success

annacogs

HSC
also its really nice to know you have one unit less of hsc exams to deal with, it's all done before end of term 3
i hadn't even considered and was recommended by a teacher to try it and ended up doing well, i'm sure your teacher knows what he's/she's on about too
give it a shot !

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
thanks guys i have already put in for it and got accepted so yay! i am the only from my school going to be doing it next yeah. I have decided against a critical response and considered doing a video instead with a poetic narration. Thanks again for all the advice.

P.S. I'm going to have 14u so yeah i will have exams for almost everysubject so meh i don't really care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)