How important is the originality of your concept? (1 Viewer)

cashewpolish

HSC
I've finally decided upon a concept that I'm interested in and am genuinely excited to be exploring, and whilst it isn't a cliche as such and I haven't heard of anybody doing it, it's not the most original concept and I wouldn't be surprised if others had done or are doing something similar. I'm confident I can put my own spin on it, but do you think the markers will be put off by the fact that it's not ridiculously obscure?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
If its well written having an absolutely never before done concept is not necessary by any means

Chances are pretty much any concept has been done before, it's how you propose your own interpretation and ideas and how you express said ideas that counts most

cashewpolish

HSC
That's what I thought, but it's nice to get some reassurance from people who know what they're talking about. Thank you. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If your concept is say... a girl goes to a new school in a town and meets a vampire and she falls in love with him, but also knows a guy that is a werewolf and omg tension - then, I think the concept would be very important - because the marker will just so obviously call out the parallels.

If it's not cliche - go for it.

Remember, that it's not just the concept that can be judged on originality. Form, the way it's written (style) or characters can also be 'judged' for originality - so just keep away from cliches, I think.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Originality is good, but you should only be wary of cliche in EE2 (stay away from anything HS or stereotypical teen angst).

The reason is if you try and force your work to be original and out of the box with some weird motif, you can actually sacrifice the quality of the writing and narrative which is the most important thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)