Multiple Choice Exam-type Questions (1 Viewer)

Focus is Key

HSC
Lately when doing practice papers, the multiple choice section is always the one where I drop the most marks (like 16/20 or 17/20 usually). In our half-yearlies the multiple choice questions were extremely difficult and I feel like I got only around 7-8/15. I have no issues with any other sections of the paper but I feel like the MC is letting me down.

What tips do you recommend, particularly when choosing between 2 answers when one is 'more correct than the other'. Or just of how to improve my MC marks. I honestly think I would be on the way to a state rank if I could just get full marks on this section!

When we get our half-yearlies back I might return and post some of the questions too :)

Kat92

HSC
A few tips that have helped me with multiple choice, that have been effective:

•Begin studying early
Multiple choice exams tend to focus on details, and you cannot retain many details effectively in short-term memory. If you learn a little bit each day and allow plenty of time for repeated reviews, you will build a much more reliable long-term memory.

•Make sure that you identify and understand thoroughly everything that your instructor emphasized in class.
Pay particular attention to fundamental terms and concepts that describe important events or features, or that tie related ideas and observations together. These are the items that most commonly appear on multiple choice exams.

•As you study your class notes and your assigned readings, make lists and tables.
Concentrate on understanding multi-step processes, and on ideas, events, or objects that form natural sequences or groupings. Look for similarities and differences that might be used to distinguish correct choices from distracters on an exam.

If your textbook highlights new vocabulary or key definitions, be sure that you understand them. Sometimes new words and concepts are collected at the end of a chapter. Check to be sure that you have not left any out by mistake.
Do not simply memorise the book's definitions. Most instructors will rephrase things in their own words as they write exam questions, so you must be sure that you really know what the definitions mean.

•Brainstorm possible questions with several other students who are also taking the course.

•Practice on sample questions.

http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/specTest.cfm?courseID=15060. Also doing past papers and getting your teacher to mark/discuss is a good way of improving.

Kat92

HSC
Not a problem, always glad to help out!

Multiple choice is my weaker area as well, so I speak from experience on this one! Plus, by doing Ed Psych this semester- it has taught me a few strategies that are helpful in the learning process. :)

bec3

HSC
Hey there! With CAFS, and really any multiple choice I go by the lovely mantra of 'go with your gut'
I overthink too much a lot of the time, particularly in subjects I understand very well, like cafs. With multiple choice questions, it's best to try and answer the question without looking at the options, then find which option most resembles your answer. If you do look at the options and are stuck between two, normally the first one you think of is the one to go with.
Nothing worse than looking back and realising that just by overthinking it, you've chosen the wrong option :(
The 'more correct option' is usually the one that best fits the syllabus, so always be on the look out for correct terminology etc.

Good luck! I'm still getting used to multiple choice as well

Kat92

HSC
Hey there! With CAFS, and really any multiple choice I go by the lovely mantra of 'go with your gut'
I overthink too much a lot of the time, particularly in subjects I understand very well, like cafs. With multiple choice questions, it's best to try and answer the question without looking at the options, then find which option most resembles your answer. If you do look at the options and are stuck between two, normally the first one you think of is the one to go with.
Nothing worse than looking back and realising that just by overthinking it, you've chosen the wrong option :(
The 'more correct option' is usually the one that best fits the syllabus, so always be on the look out for correct terminology etc.

Good luck! I'm still getting used to multiple choice as well

Hi bec3, certainly some good tips there as well! :)

Kowther

HSC
There are also multiple choice practice tests available on BoS website.
I'd say study hard and focus on the minor details, and keep doing revision over and over, as well as HSC past papers because they could use those questions again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)