Why you SHOULD pick cafs (1 Viewer)

bec3

HSC
I've been getting this question a lot so I thought I'd put together a little note about why cafs is a very good choice in your HSC!

Let's start with the good parts:
- CAFS is fascinating, it addresses so many aspects of society that relate to you in so many ways
- CAFS teaches you to think critically, write better essays and structure solid responses. This helps you in your other subjects
- cafs can break up your day. I took chem, bio, modern, society and adv english- cafs was a breath of fresh air in a very heavy workload. That's not to say its a bludge (its absolutely not) but it is a different style of learning
- cafs is current, it's addressing you and the world around you. The concepts you discuss are in the news, you're studying your own life and society
- It is incredibly useful in uni! I'm studying a degree under the health science faculty and didn't think it would relate at all but wow I was wrong. Cafs has helped me understand a lot of key concepts in health including working with patients, sociology and psychology. In my science type subjects it has helped my writing and critical thinking
- It helps you in becoming an open minded individual that displays critical discernment toward the media and empathy toward others. You never know- you may discover a thing or two about yourself

Now, that's all fabulous, but here are the common complaints

"Bec, That's all well and good, and I'm interested, but it scales so badly"
" it will really hurt my atar"
" It's a bludge subject"
1) yes, cafs doesnt scale as well as some other subjects. But you're forgetting that you have to do WELL for scaling to help. If you're working hard and doing well in cafs, scaling has no input. I ranked first in my year and achieved a state rank- my atar was fine I assure you :) It CAN be done relatively easily
2) Cafs isn't a bludge. It can be, but don't expect any good results. You need to work hard, write essays and seek extra knowledge. This is all easy if you find it interesting, which you will :)

I cannot recommend cafs enough, give it a go and see where it takes you!

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, this changed my perspective on CAFS. I still wouldn't do it, but it it changed my perspective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)