Looking after your CAFS 'baby' (1 Viewer)

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
yeah so what does it involve?? im about to do yr 12 and my teacher was talking about it. what do we have 2 do :)

frootloop

HSC
hehe- egg? As in an actual egg with yolk in it and a shell? How easy would that be to 'look after.' LOL.

Anyway I had the vitrual baby doll thing. Its cries are sort of irregular. It may cry five times in one hour and then not cry for another two. Expect to lose a lot of sleep. It will usually go to sleep at about 11-ish and wake up at about 2am. Then it cries about once every hour after that (at least from my experience- I had it over a weekend). I suppose it may depend on the level it is set at.

You just feed it (hold bottle to mouth for about 20 mins), burp it (pat its back for about 20 mins), change its nappy (obviously put a NEW nappy on it- make sure sensors align properly) and rock it (although I never did rock it- I think when you burp it it works as well). You'll be able to distinguish between the different cries. Don't freak out if you try everything and it still keeps crying- it may just be being 'fussy' (you can tell because the cry is 'consistent' it doesn't get louder after 2 minutes).

Keep the baby with you at all times and get someone to babysit when you have showers. (Give them the wrist sensor)

It's so cute- especially when it's sleeping and you can hear it breathing... and its burps are cute.

Remember you get a score at the end of it so attend to the baby immediately when it cries and scan your wrist sensor as quickly as possible (to the sensor on the baby's chest-easiest). Make sure you hear the 'chime'. You have about 2-3 minutes to stop it from crying.

Finally, good luck! I hope I've been helpful.

P.S. Remember to support the head always!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Haha yeh apparently I had 4 head tilts when I only remember two of them.. the head support is a big thing!
When I did the head tilts.. it just like screams even harder.. but you have to remember to do whatever it needed in the first place (which is what led me to getting 2 neglects.. because I thought I just had to calm it down from the head tilt).
It was quite funny because it didnt do anything for like 4 hours (from 2pm-7pm) then it wouldnt stop! I had to get up at 3am on the Saturday morning and rock it for like 40 minutes! That was the most painful thing.. and the other girl had the same programmed times as me so we both complained about the exact same things hehehe.
Like fruitloop said.. be prepared for a sleepless weekend! Its a great way to deter teen pregnancies hahaha.

ashiebear

HSC
i had the cafs baby at the beginning of the year sometime.. i loved it! lol. i know this might sound crazy, but i loved having it and it felt as if it was actually mine!.. i had mine over the weekend too on mothers day! hehe.. i think i got about 5 head supports lol.. but i didnt want to give her back at the end bcos i got so attachted haha.. but yeh, its a really good experience for young teenagers and i think it would make them think twice about having sex, with all the peer pressure these days.. but overall, i loved it! lol..

misfit_87

HSC
At my school we had a completely different baby. Ours just cried but when it cried you had to put a key in it's back and hold it there until it stopped crying. There were three levels it could be put on. Depending on what level it was set on , the more or less it cried. The way you looked after it could be recorded but we didn't have to do any assessment with it. We just had it over two days but I had it on the weekend so I had it Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I loved it lol and I had a birthday party to go to and took it with me. We got to name it and have a birth certificate. We had the doll during year 11.

sxc_ballerina89

HSC
well as far as i know we dnt get the baby :( cos our teacher didnt mention it at the start of last term (begining of yr 12) and they changed child/family studies for yr 9 n 10 so that in yr 10 u get the baby but of course they changed that last yr when we were all in yr 11 *grr* but 2 of my girlfriends had a go so when we were at dancing 2gether with the baby it was fun

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
misfit_87 said:
At my school we had a completely different baby. Ours just cried but when it cried you had to put a key in it's back and hold it there until it stopped crying. There were three levels it could be put on. Depending on what level it was set on , the more or less it cried. The way you looked after it could be recorded but we didn't have to do any assessment with it. We just had it over two days but I had it on the weekend so I had it Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I loved it lol and I had a birthday party to go to and took it with me. We got to name it and have a birth certificate. We had the doll during year 11.
i had that kinda baby too. my bro broke the key when i told him to look after it and it wouldnt stop crying for like 2 hrs. so we had to lock it up in the garage. we finally shut it up though :eek: but then when i was walking along penno road on the way to school, some dude asked me if that was a real baby.

jw, has having that baby made u think against having children in the future? my teacher said when they trialed it in america, teen pregnancies went down. i dont think i'll have children in the future.

dan:.

HSC
回复: Looking after your CAFS 'baby'

i had the baby which you put the key in the back too! haha i was inlove with it at first our school had a south african baby soo cute! we got to name it and everything! i had the baby from monday to friday! the first night i had it it woke up 10 times!! it was horrible, id hav to sit there feeding it for 20-30minutes then when it finally cooed and i put it back to sleep id get like 15minutes sleep and it would wake up agen!! this happen nearly every night but it cried a few less times! i hav to catch the train to school and got sooo many disapproving looks from adults cos it looks soo real...i had a bunch of old ladies come up to me askin how old it was and wat its name was which was pretty funni..just be prepared for it to cry at the most annoyin times... i missed my bus 2 mornings that week cos it decided it wanted to be feed when i was just leaving quite anoyin and u have to change its nappy and clothes and wipe the baby with baby wipes which takes a while... i was put off having kids..but i think it was mainly becos i was so busy already with HSC assessments..i had no time for homework that week...haha have fun looking after it... xx

jesschristian

HSC
no u dont want 1!!

i have just had 1 and all it did was cry n cry!! :mad1:

u really need head support that is the only thing that can really go wrong. dont stress when it starts 2 cry otherwise u panic n then things just get worse n u muck it all up!! lol

a tip is 2 keep any pants of the baby so u can change the nappy quicker. just get a cute lil singlet 4 it

jirwin

HSC
i had the baby in yr 10... it was one that used a key so no need for feeding, changing nappies etc. i found it ok cept on the friday night i wanted to pick the lock to turn it off! once i even hit its head on the toilet door - but it wasnt registered

Jesykka

HSC
Aww! I want one! We don't get one :(
Our teacher said maybe we could have an egg to look after for awhile lol. But no baby. Then even the egg thing didn't happen! :( Lame.

rockis4eva

HSC
mm i get one soon... does anyone know a way of telling the crys apart?

jesschristian

HSC
no u cant really tell the crys apart but,

once u work out wat the baby has just had,

u kinda get into a routine to no wat it wants next and when

hop it helps

SunshineStorm

HSC
i know it sounds weird but you actually can tell the cries apart.
after i had the baby for a while, when it cries i could almost always know what it wanted.

though i did take it home quite a few times, lol.

i really enjoyed the experience. sure you get waken up and at times it can be frustrating, but it was a great way to see how you would handle the situation, were you ever placed in it.

oh and the baby we had was really heavy!

my advice:
1. watch out for head support, especially if you are trying to feed it while its lying down. its so easy to accidently bump its head back when its 4am.
2. take it seriously. whats the point in taking the baby home if you are just gonna be half-assed about it? do it properly.
3. learn from your experience. surprisingly enough, you do learn. and it will improve your skills with the baby.
4. have fun. take your baby to a mums and bubs session at the movies. lol.
5. dont get to stressed. remember, this may be the seventh time it has wanted to be fed between midnight and 5am... but you are going to give it back.

oh and funny experience, i was catching the train to school. it was packed as usual, i was surrounded by people. suddenly the baby started making a strange noise. turned out that someone nearby was recieving a text message, and the speaker on the baby was picking up the noise.
needless to say, everyone i was sitting with found it hilarious. even strangers cracked a bit of a smile. :)

donniesweet

The Iconoclaster
HSC
what component is the CAFS baby in?
is it parenting and caring? lol
man i really want to do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)