distinction courses (1 Viewer)

dreamee

HSC
Is there anyone here who is doing a distinction course?

I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions for me. (in particular about philosophy)

What do you think of the...

workload: is it a buttload of work...all done by yourself?
content: Is it interesting?
whole experience in general: Was it worth it? Would you do it again if you could choose again?

thnx so much in advance.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Philosophy?? Disappointing choice :p (not really, but :)) If you want to talk to someone about the Philosophy course, PM and I'll direct you to someone I know who's doing the course this year.

I'm doing Cosmology this year, and so I'll answer your questions from my point of view.

Workload
Yes, for all courses, there will be a fuckload of work, there is no denying that. However, how much of the content you will actually view as 'work' will depend on how much you enjoy the content of the course. And trust me, you will like the content if you decide to do one of the courses, especially Cosmology, and I'm not biased at all :) The courses are done via distance education, so you will, at times, have to find the motivation to do the work. The amount of work you'll do depends on the course you choose (for Cosmology you have to complete 6 assessments in total, 3 of them assessable; 2 exams and a major work in the order of 10 000 words) but the workload in itself should not deter you from doing any of the three courses. The workload won't matter, the courses and their content will make it seem as though you are doing very little work at all, that's how enjoyable the courses are.

Content
The content differs from one course to another, but basically you will be doing work and learning about areas relevant to the distinction course you have chosen. For Cosmology, to use an example, there are 9 modules of work relating from the basics like telescopes, the birth, life and death of a star, so to speak, to areas like general relativity, redshifts, the cosmic microwave background radiation and the Big Bang Theory and the alternative models that have been proposed. You will be forced to look outside of the content that has been given to you in the modules if you want to further your knowledge, and you will be challenged by some of the things you will encounter in your participation in the course, but this will only serve to extend your mind, put it to use in ways that the normal HSC courses would have never extended them (Except maybe extension history, but I'm not too sure about that.) The content is incredibly interesting, and it will only serve to extend and broaden your mind, and that will help you later on.

Experience
To put it simply, the experience you get from doing a distinction course is like nothing else you could experience in the HSC and normal school life. You will never ever regret doing a distinction course, in my mind it has been absolutely worth it, and I would definately do it again, had I the chance after this year :uhhuh: The people that you meet in the course are generally some of the nicest and most genuine people that you meet, along with their extremely high intelligence :p The residentials that you undertake while doing the course (Cosmology having 2, 5 days in early February and 2 nights in late June) are some of the best times you'll have while you are in the HSC year. As Bookie (a person who did Cosmology in 2006) put it,

"Now, in all honesty, I had an absolute blast in the first residential. Do cosmology just for this experience. You'll love it. 45 degree temperatues. A 10 hour bus ride to Narrabri. Awesome spot. Sports galore. Late nights playing poker and having an awesome time with other nerds. Cant beat that for 5 nights. And you also tend to spend some nights out under the stars. It's an awesome experience."

I am sure that the experience is similar in the other distinction courses, although maybe not the 45 degree temperatures :p You can do the distinction courses alone just for the people and the experiences you'll have while doing the course, that's how I feel about the experience of it all. The interest in the content of the course + the people + the residentials should be something that you, if you are capable of getting into the courses, should not miss out on.

Hope that helped with a few of your queries, PM me and I'll give you a contact to someone who'll hopefully help you with your questions about the Philosophy Distinction course. Also visit the Distinction Course website for more general information. Hope you do decide to pick up a Distinction course, and see you at the Info Day later this year if you do decide to go for it :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Hey SS,

Just like to know- how do they assess you on exams?

Like, do people turn up to your school and test you under exam conditions?

I'm considering either Philosophy or Comparative Literature.

SoulSearcher

HSC
simonloo said:
Hey SS,

Just like to know- how do they assess you on exams?

Like, do people turn up to your school and test you under exam conditions?

I'm considering either Philosophy or Comparative Literature.
Well, for the first exam we had in May, they sent the exam over to the school, and the teacher in charge of the distinction course in our school supervised me during the exam, then the exam was sent back to the university. Still waiting on the results for that exam.

webby234

HSC
N/A
I did cosmology last year - I strongly recommend the distinction courses. Yes they have a heavy workload, but they really are a lot of fun. Just a few things to add to what SoulSearcher has already said.

Comparative Literature aka Clit is good if you want a small, close group - in our year there were 8 of them (and i think 3 couples formed from the 8 people :p). Philosophy usually has about 50 or so I think. Cosmology was about 30. I made some really good friends - in fact quite a few of them are doing the same course as me at uni, which is great.

However, do it only if you're really interested - don't do it for scaling or to get better marks in your HSC. Think of it something separate - I mean it can be good for your HSC, but in many cases doesn't count as part of best 10 units. It is however, excellent preparation for uni and just generally fun and interesting.

SS: You get results at residential 2. Also, you get to read all the old assignments there - make sure you read mine ;).

Oh and Bookie's statement brings back memories - playing golf, tennis, cricket, soccer, poker using physics study cards as chips :p. And that incredible last night under the stars. Those are perhaps unique to cosmology, although i'm sure the residentials would be a lot of fun for the other courses as well.

SoulSearcher

HSC
webby234 said:
I did cosmology last year - I strongly recommend the distinction courses. Yes they have a heavy workload, but they really are a lot of fun. Just a few things to add to what SoulSearcher has already said.

Comparative Literature aka Clit is good if you want a small, close group - in our year there were 8 of them (and i think 3 couples formed from the 8 people :p). Philosophy usually has about 50 or so I think. Cosmology was about 30. I made some really good friends - in fact quite a few of them are doing the same course as me at uni, which is great.

However, do it only if you're really interested - don't do it for scaling or to get better marks in your HSC. Think of it something separate - I mean it can be good for your HSC, but in many cases doesn't count as part of best 10 units. It is however, excellent preparation for uni and just generally fun and interesting.

SS: You get results at residential 2. Also, you get to read all the old assignments there - make sure you read mine ;).

Oh and Bookie's statement brings back memories - playing golf, tennis, cricket, soccer, poker using physics study cards as chips :p. And that incredible last night under the stars. Those are perhaps unique to cosmology, although i'm sure the residentials would be a lot of fun for the other courses as well.
I concur entirely with this post.

What a conversion rate Clit has, amazing :eek:

Ahh ok, damn, I won't know how bad I went for almost another month :eek: Will do ;)

We had real chips when we played poker, otherwise it was a similar experience in our one this year :uhhuh: More touch footy and soccer though :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if Philosophy has the same structure of assesments as Cosmology? Eg- 2 exams, 1 major work, etc?

SoulSearcher

HSC
simonloo said:
Does anyone know if Philosophy has the same structure of assesments as Cosmology? Eg- 2 exams, 1 major work, etc?
From what I've gathered from my friend doing Philosophy, there are 4 short (around 750 words long) essays worth 5% each, then a 40% exam (that's on 15 June this year), and then 2 longer length essays at 20% each.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Thats ok, but a 40% exam sounds really tedious. If anyone with more info on Philosophy- please please PM.

dreamee

HSC
Thnx heaps for everyone's responses.

I also second Simonloo's comment: please pm.

HSC
Best Philosophy answer ever:

Essay Question: Why?

Answer: Why not?

As far as I am concerned, Philospohy has been won by that.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I heard today that althoguh Distinction courses count to your HSC units, they don't count to your UAI- is this true?

Kirjava

HSC
Presumably anyone applying for the distinction course has been accelerated through at least 1 HSC course, and already completed their final HSC exam in that subject by the conclusion of year 11?

That's what I heard, at least- just havn't seen any mention of that insofar.

webby234

HSC
N/A
Correct - you must complete at least one subject at least one year ahead of your cohort. Usually you need to get a band 6 and other selection criteria also applies.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Webbyyyyyyyyyy

Do Philosphers have a residential at some middle-of-nowehere place?

(-(-.(-.-).-)-)

HSC
Residentials were at Namaroo Conference Centre (some place near Chatswood)
Philosophy: 4 essays of 500 words.. one huge 40% essay. 2 long essays at the end.
Requirements: Accelerated course and at least 10 units. Yes, you need a good score for the accelerated course and other extra curricular stuff.
Marks: Yes it can count to your UAI.

In response to the best philosophy question ever it might be
"Why?"
"Why not?"
or
"What is courage"
"This is"(Hands paper in and walks off)
Some though contend its
"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" :haha:

Last edited:

wendybird

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Philosophy?? Disappointing choice :p (not really, but :)) If you want to talk to someone about the Philosophy course, PM and I'll direct you to someone I know who's doing the course this year.
SS taking you up on your offer- could you get your philosopher friend to either email/PM me, or otherwise do a bit of a write-up on what the Philosophy Distinction Course is like?

:) Wendy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)