Stock recommendations (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
Hi,

So what are you invested in at the moment and what are you watching? Maybe you don't have any money to invest but are still interested in the market, feel free to share.

At the moment:

Invested in:

Telstra (TLS)
McMillan Shakespeare (MMS)
ADG Global Supply (ADQ)

and I trade an option or two a fortnight

Watching:

RIO, BHP, IMF

I value both rio and bhp at about a 40% discount at the moment, although the markets are pretty shit.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
I got a commsec account a week and I was looking at billabong but glad I didnt after the market results today

Garygaz

HSC
atm i value it at about $3.27 but considering the market at the moment there are far better stocks trading at a much larger discount. it's a pretty poor performing stock over the last couple of years.

dionb2014

HSC
I'm buying more gold now it has dropped a bit. Yeah I'm the guy from the gold thread that said it will reach 5000.

Garygaz

HSC
see i understand why you think about gold and overreactions, although you aren't seeing the full picture. e.g on friday in the states on of the main reasons for the fall in gold was the change in margin requirements to hedge funds, and you have to factor in the impact of gold prices by legislature changes (as obviously the fed prefers investors in the market rather than gold).

resources in general are way over sold, dollar down, and the sell off in reaction to a drop in commodity prices (rio/bhp have 2/3 year supply deals and hedge the commodity price) is no way a reason to sell them. bhp trading at $35 currently could easily hit 40 and above by years end.

dionb2014

HSC
You really seem like you know what you are talking about. To be perfectly honest my pushing for the gold price is really an educated guess. Yes I know that just being oversold is not a reason to buy and yes as you have said there is merit to the drop in price. My reasoning works around a bear prediction not really any direct prediction on gold itself.

dionb2014

HSC
I agree BHP as a large owner commodities such as oil (which has been overreacted upon) will reach 40 by the years end which may even be conservative.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
atm i value it at about $3.27 but considering the market at the moment there are far better stocks trading at a much larger discount. it's a pretty poor performing stock over the last couple of years.
Soo true, im currently playing a game (supertrader) first before I take the step up and actually use real money. I was looking at excalibur mining today at 0.001, very volatile (bounces between 0.003-0.0.1) but if picked at the right time and done smart, could be some decent gains!

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
technical analysis is another way to make money. not to toot my own horn but 2 days ago using a variation on the relative strength index (basically i use a exponential moving average as opposed to a 15 day moving average) it picked rio @ a buy at 59, i bought 8 of the 62 october calls for 1.65, sold them today for 2.90. out of 9 options trades this fin. year i've only made one loss. you've just got to stick to your methods.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
technical analysis is another way to make money. not to toot my own horn but 2 days ago using a variation on the relative strength index (basically i use a exponential moving average as opposed to a 15 day moving average) it picked rio @ a buy at 59, i bought 8 of the 62 october calls for 1.65, sold them today for 2.90. out of 9 options trades this fin. year i've only made one loss. you've just got to stick to your methods.
nicee dude. quick question, would a bachelor of economics or commerce majoring in finance go into much detail about the stock market?

Garygaz

HSC
yes. you've still go to pick the right subjects which point you towards those areas, i mean for example in finance you can study about bonds and venture capital or conversely do security analysis, options and futures (more geared towards the market). economics isn't really geared towards understanding the stock-market though it's still an interesting subject area. having a sound economic understanding will help you in the analysis of stocks and markets.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
So where did you get all your knowledge from?

Garygaz

HSC
reading lots and learning from people with track records to back what they were saying. plus i subscribe to a few reports. it's sort of the case with most things where the more you learn, the less you realize you know

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
what do you subscribe to? I think im gonna start trading pretty seriously during the next holidays and also when the market settles down, so i can pay for my schoolies trip lol
At the moment im following obj, ogy, nxs nwt and exm. Pretty volatile stocks... looking for short term capital gains though

Garygaz

HSC
what do you subscribe to? I think im gonna start trading pretty seriously during the next holidays and also when the market settles down, so i can pay for my schoolies trip lol
At the moment im following obj, ogy, nxs nwt and exm. Pretty volatile stocks... looking for short term capital gains though
just to the eureka report and myclime. also read blogs (obviously some are bad, but even from them you can learn a thing or two) and just our of pure interest you should read a book called the big short.

market could take a while to settle down, but hey, depends on whether you're looking at buying on tech analysis or fundamentals. up to you.

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
If you need short term gains, go for the FOREX market.

Far more risk, but FAR more rewards; esp. crank up to 200:1 leverage, study the MACD with your Fibonacci curves and watch the profits grow!

Of course, if you can't bear losing the money, and don't have much discipline (As in, ready to lose 10% in one day to make 15% the next day) then just stick to stocks.

I'd buy into Lockheed Martin IF it seems that War WILL DEFINITELY break out with Iran and Isreal (since the USA will follow its master). Or any other military contractor for that matter.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
yes. you've still go to pick the right subjects which point you towards those areas, i mean for example in finance you can study about bonds and venture capital or conversely do security analysis, options and futures (more geared towards the market). economics isn't really geared towards understanding the stock-market though it's still an interesting subject area. having a sound economic understanding will help you in the analysis of stocks and markets.
no it doesnt. economics/finance teaches you nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)