Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ADF Gap Year

HSC

Re: ADF Gap Year

Quote Originally Posted by gonnafailhsc
    Just to clear things up, you do pay a contribution for accommodation. Its for rifleman, thing $48000 - accommodation. For the interview know what your role will involve, how long you are committing for, how long is initial training, which countries are our troops listed in, what equipment you will use, how much will you be payed, whats military law about, where will you be posted to.

I did the test at Parramatta, and the base isn't too far from Sydney, Kapooka about 10kms from Wagga Wagga. I initially wanted to join the police force, but id hate to go to uni at the moment. The skills you pick up im sure will help later on in life, it's 100% 12month ONLY.

Their is a risk of war only if fucking NZ decides they've had enough of our sheep jokes and attacks lol or shit like that. Yeah initial training is going to be tough, but your not joining to do fuck all.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on i think it shouldn't be too bad, sick of sittin on my arse for so long time for some real work. I leave on the 15th of January, so as soon as i finish exams, gotta train my ass off!

Anyone got questions on the matter or unsure whether or not to join, everyone who did it says its tough but they loved it and if you're gonna join, i'm not sure if theres any more positions left.

Cheers

Fail

Thanks for that..it was insightful and helpful. so now when is ur fitness test? long after the assesment day? thanks a bunch

HSC

Is it too late to apply? I sent a expression of interest thing but haven't got a reply yet.

HSC

I'm not sure of it's too late to apply, you should try though.

Fitness Test is on December 17th, I've quit smoking and going on a fitness program. I don't want to get in by achieving the minimal standards, i want to leave an impression lol.

Good luck to everyone!! I applied as Plan B just in case i don't make it to Uni, but research shows "Gap Year" enables students to focus on their studies and excel upon returning. And which employer wouldn't be impressed with military training?

Lol take care everyone, good luck with HSC and remember to follow your heart, not your wallet.

HSC

Who here has done the YOU Session, and what sort of stuff do they ask in the aptitude test???

also, whats the time period between the YOU session and when u have to do all the sit ups/push ups/shuttle run??

HSC

hey peeps! just did the assesment day...and boy wat that quick
    got there like 8am and by 10am they were telling me about my enlistment. so yeh i got in! yay! anyways who else here has had a repsonse...i leave in feb btw

~Jame~

Quote Originally Posted by elena24
    hey peeps! just did the assesment day...and boy wat that quick
    got there like 8am and by 10am they were telling me about my enlistment. so yeh i got in! yay! anyways who else here has had a repsonse...i leave in feb btw
    Mad shit, people are actually going.. I got my YOU session on friday, i hope i dont fail the fitness test and now i gotta quit smoking...

Im really cautious about this whole idea, what if its really shit and i get boreds. Apparently if your going into the army gap year you have to stay for a minimum of 80 days! and then you can leave.

Also is all the training done in kapuka????? or only the 80 days intitial training?

Elena what are you doing in the army? Rifleman, soldier, officer?????????
    I'm curious about what people selected.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnafailhsc
    I'm not sure of it's too late to apply, you should try though.

Fitness Test is on December 17th, I've quit smoking and going on a fitness program. I don't want to get in by achieving the minimal standards, i want to leave an impression lol.

Good luck to everyone!! I applied as Plan B just in case i don't make it to Uni, but research shows "Gap Year" enables students to focus on their studies and excel upon returning. And which employer wouldn't be impressed with military training?

Lol take care everyone, good luck with HSC and remember to follow your heart, not your wallet.
    Are you going for rifleman??? do you know if the training is only in kapuka? and what should i do?!!??!?!?! soldier or rilfeman? im a gun freak tho.. lol (besides the camping places and stuff, but majority) BTW CONGRATS!!! I HOPE I GET IN!!! lol
    Last edited by ~Jame~; 30 Oct 2007 at 3:50 PM.

HSC

i chose the navy in the end..where u can leave whenever u want. anyway yeh the army u have to stay a minumum then leave after that dealine ur set in for the rest of the year. the YOU session(isnt it JOES btw:S) is easy but long asssss so bring a book or sumthin..best of luck!!

HSC

i've done the JOES bit and my assessment day is on the 20th november cos I didn't want to do it until after my exams. Best of luck to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lou
    To sleep or not to sleep
    that is the question
    whether it is nobler in the mind
    to stay up to all hours or
    suffer the consequences of no study

HSC

cant be bbothered checking all the posts, but to whoever said they can deploy you overseas is wrong. they cant. fact., the only possible way they could would be with your permission, even that im pretty skeptical on. They cant even send reserves overseas without individual permission, granted Australia isnt under direct attack

HSC

Well i havent read many of the posts but the way i see it is, its the MILITARY, it doesnt matter what they call it there is still a chance they will pull some legal stunt saying that you have to go overseas and fight, however i have no idea about the true nature of the ADF gap year but i think its to present you with the good side of the military and not the bad, however i might be joining the military myself just not the Australian one.
    I have to go to my country to do 2 years worth of military service so i can stay for longer than 3 months a year for a holiday, and was thinking of moving there so gotta do what you gotta do.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by MathsIsWeird
    Well i havent read many of the posts but the way i see it is, its the MILITARY, it doesnt matter what they call it there is still a chance they will pull some legal stunt saying that you have to go overseas and fight, however i have no idea about the true nature of the ADF gap year but i think its to present you with the good side of the military and not the bad, however i might be joining the military myself just not the Australian one.
    I have to go to my country to do 2 years worth of military service so i can stay for longer than 3 months a year for a holiday, and was thinking of moving there so gotta do what you gotta do.
    i hope what u say istn true...caus then i willbe pissed of at the ADF like bad...anyway r u from a european country by any chance?

HSC

hey mate

inital training is at Kapooka, then moving to Singleton afterwards. So over HSC still got 2 more exams!! Anyways the military would be mad to send these poorly trained troops anywhere! Unless Australia is directly under attack, it's impossible.

Cheers

bubz

HSC

hey mate

inital training is at Kapooka, then moving to Singleton afterwards. So over HSC still got 2 more exams!! Anyways the military would be mad to send these poorly trained troops anywhere! Unless Australia is directly under attack, it's impossible.

Cheers

bubz

HSC
    N/A

Smile Re: ADF Gap Year

hey guys,
    oh i was so glas when i found all your comments about the ADF gap year! Im currently in year 12 (2008) and wanting to do the gap year in 2009! I recon the air force is the one for me, but i still have my doubts about the whole thing! I mean the money would be so handy for when i go to uni in 2010! How do i apply?, all the ADF HQ crap is so hard to understand! should i just go into my nearest Defence Force Place here in MAroochydore?
    And if anyone reading this has done the gap year, can you tell me about it please!
    I need some help!!
    thanks

HSC

ADF Gap Year

Hello,

I saw the gap year promotions in 2007 I did all the signing up straight away and followed the hype, got a place in the NAVY gap program. Then exams came up and i got my ENTER and that became more exciting then the ADF.

Now, halfway through first year of uni Im crawling back into the GAP idea. Rang recruiting a few weeks ago and alas I got myself a position in a Jan/Feb intake 2009 =).

So im wondering.. anyone here coming with me?? Or have a brother/sister/freind
    that started '08 and have some input

Discuss!

sca
    HSC

My boyfriend's in the Army Reserves, currently in the process of going full time.

But no, strangely I don't know anyone doing the GAP year. As I'm guessing the point of the year is to recruit people long term, I'm guessing you'll get to experience some of the snazzier aspect of the military... just be prepared for the not so snazzy aspects.

Discipline, exact schedules and procedure, deliberate locational inconvience, fitness assessment, tough conditions, emotional stress (relationships, etc), subtle conditioning... but that's all pretty common sense stuff to consider I spose.

Depending on who you are, it can be worth it. Just make sure you really want the military lifestyle - because their intention is to get you to sign up.

Sorry for the useless post

=> Jess
    VCE 2008: English 3/4 --- Further 3/4 --- French 3/4 --- Legal 3/4 --- Studio 3/4

(VCE 2007: Bus. Man. 3/4 --- Art 1/2 --- English 1/2 --- French 1/2 --- Methods 1/2 --- Psychology 1/2)

First preference for 2009: Bachelor of Business Info. Systems, IBL stream, Monash Clayton - ENTER: 87

HSC

Thanks though, its interesting..

My brother is in the Reserves, and he doesn't know anyone that knows anyone doing the gap year.
    Makes you question how popular it really is, given the government is saying its been so successful.

13 19 01.. do it!!

HSC

Several of my friends wanted to do it for this year, but apparently it filled up quickly.

Numerous friends have joined army reserves, did the training, and really really hated it.

Another mate is joining the full-time contract army, he likes it.

HSC

yeah it did fill pretty quick, but surely that means there are more people out there that got accepted!

HSC

im thinking about doing it in 1-2 yrs, should i talk more to my careers teacher, coz i dont even hav a clue as a plan after yr 12 =(

HSC
    N/A

hey there ive applied for adf gap year army and have just completed my assessment day, just waiting for medical and police check to clear. anyone else doing the army for the gap year?
    matt

HSC

Hey mate, im about to go in to do my assessment aswell, im also going for the army, what part of the army are you going to do?

Can you give me any tips on the assessment day? i really wana pass...

HSC
    N/A

ok awesome im going in as a soldier, but i will choose to become a rifleman after training at kapooka, if my application moves forward and i pass.
    are you doing the gap year or reg army?
    what position have you applied for?
    alot of the questions they ask in the interview are from the websites. make sure you know all about pay, and basic training at kapooka.
    good luck mate

HSC

Im doing the gap year, ive signed up to do rifleman, coz its the most physical demanding one, do you have msn?..
    What exactly do u do at the assessment day...

HSC
    N/A

dude thats unreal thats exactly why im choosing it. my msn is matt-kraeh@hotmail.com
    ill go online now

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information