Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: ADF Gap Year

HSC

Re: ADF Gap Year

No, for the Gap Year. I heard you don't pay tax for the Gap Year???

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Rum
    I heard you don't pay tax for the Gap Year???
    Gap year is full time and you heard wrong.
    KRudd is still gonna be stealing your hard earn't money.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods07
    does anyone know any females in the army or what its like for females in the army?

I'm still making the decision on weather or not to join and keep being told that chicks in the army cop a lot of crap..... do you rekon the money is worth it?

Also, do you rekon that the 'experience' is just being portrayed in a really positive way to recruit people or is it genuinly something valuable?
    the navy is the most popular service for females...and the adf predict that females will play a major role in future navy operations....so i recommend navy.....army is the most militaristic of them all.....

HSC

Meh, oh well... It will still be funner than working at maccas and earning 5c an hour (no offence to all the ppl working at maccas hahaha). I'm doing the aptitude test tomorrow... should be fun. Hopefully they won't tell me that all i'm good for is a janitor or dish-pig :-)

HSC

anyone going in the january intake of the 12th???

im in as rifleman in the army

HSC
    N/A

rickyd071 are you in the gap year or reg army?

HSC

Gap year.. rifleman
    enlistment on the 12th of january 2009 from Newcastle Recruitment Centre

HSC
    N/A

cool man how long did it take after your assesment day for them to contact you?
    Last edited by mattkraeh2906; 1 Aug 2008 at 4:00 PM.

HSC

i had my blood test a week after my assessment day, than 2 weeks later i got paperwork for enlistment.

although a mate of mine is doing the exact same thing had his assessment day 2 months ago and hasnt gotten his paperwork yet..

not sure if its the competitive part coming into it or theyre just unorganised.

HSC
    N/A

yeah i had my assesment day 7 weeks ago now and i went in to see them today the guy rkns i should get a call late next week... i hope so. anyway have you completed ur fitness etc?

HSC

oh ok na i didnt get a call.. just paperwork to sign.. and a bloody lot of it

na pre-enlistment fittness is within 8 weeks of enlistment..

should be a piece of piss but..

are you full time or gap year?? and what are u going in as?

HSC
    N/A

ive applied for gap year army - soldier but i think if it all goes ahead at the end of kapooka i will choose rifleman!!
    im hopen i get it.
    at assesment day my blood pressure was high the doc said it was cause of nerves so i went to my normal doc and he says its fine..handed in the forms from normal doctor and waiting to hear from the army since then

how did ur assesment day go?

Cadet
    HSC

My mate who just got out said that gappie riflemen are getting used as enemy party........... sounds ghey. Plus you can't get deployed
    Jan 12th ay ricky, thats pretty much when i wanna book my enlistment. Full time rifleman, might see you round. :uhhuh:
    Last edited by gravstar; 1 Aug 2008 at 7:24 PM.

HSC

Matt, careful trying to switch jobs over.. they only alocate a certain number of jobs for gap year per job.. so originally signing up as soldier and trying to switch to rifleman may not be the best idea due to numbers... but hell man u might be lucky ay..
    yeah mate of mine had high blood pressure too.. he had the same thing nd he's all good now

best of luck with it all

hope to see u in there

my assessment day was alrite.. everything til the defence interview, i got blasted lol.. but got recommended for early intake due to my fittness, sports i play, recommendations from principle and cos im skool captain.. so pretty bullshit but i was happy to get in ay

gravster, hav u been thru the recruiting stage yet?
    yeah ive got 2 mates in gap year as rifleman atm.. both just got posted to darwin and absolutely loving it!

Cadet
    HSC

Yeah id watch out for them trying to push you into a catering job or something like that matt, as they get a steady flow of infantry anyway. Just resist the persuasion.
    I've had my assessment day, but I still have to finalise an enlistment date. ricky what did your mates say about it in darwin?
    Are you guys looking to stay after a year?

HSC

they love it.. haven't had much of a chance to talk to em but from what ive heard they absolutely love it!

at the moment im not looking to stay, if i get a place in uni from the hsc than ill defer it for a year until i get out and go into uni, or go into the ambo's. but who knows, if i like it, i might stay. wouldnt mind the lifestyle.

HSC
    N/A

because ive chosen to go in as a soldier can they make me do something i dont want to do at the end of kapooka eg.(cook) etc.. if i get in id more want to head down the rifleman path..
    yeah i have a mate in darwin he is lovin it he went in as adf gap year and has since transfered to full time!

HSC

I dont think they can.. depends on your 3 prefrences you chose.. i think they may be able to employ you in one of those 3 fields.. when you get your enlistment paperwork, itll say what job your being offered.. e.g. mine says 'you are being offered enlistment on the 12th of january 2009 in the australian regular army as a rifleman (Gap year) for the initial period of 1 year'

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mattkraeh2906
    because ive chosen to go in as a soldier can they make me do something i dont want to do at the end of kapooka eg.(cook) etc.. if i get in id more want to head down the rifleman path..
    Well they can't make you but i'd imagine they'd persuade you a lot to do something like that cos they aren't getting the numbers for those sorts of jobs.
    Why didn't you just put rifleman as your 1st choice?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by rickyd071
    I dont think they can.. depends on your 3 prefrences you chose.. i think they may be able to employ you in one of those 3 fields.. when you get your enlistment paperwork, itll say what job your being offered.. e.g. mine says 'you are being offered enlistment on the 12th of january 2009 in the australian regular army as a rifleman (Gap year) for the initial period of 1 year'
    and then you flip a few pages to read

'i acknowledge however, the Navy is not bound nor limited to employing me in my chosen category and that i may be employed in any element of the Navy if the Navy considers such employment to be in its interest'

i suppose you can read that to mean if they arent bound to you being a soilder theres every chance you can become a riflemen.

HSC

mine only says they are not bound to employing me in my chosen field. it doesnt say anything bout employment in other fields if it is in their best interests

a good point you make but..

Cadet
    HSC

hey boys n gals
    im joing up the ADF gap year as a Rifleman hopefully in brisbane, great to see tons of other ppl interested in the gap year

HSC
    N/A

hey sonic mouse thats awesome have you recieved your enlistment papers?

Cadet
    HSC

nah man, i havent got any enlistment papers, ive had my YOU sesh and waiting for an assesmsent day, all this waiting is annoying lol i wish there was just 1 meeting instead of all these time consuming meetings/sessions.

HSC

Hey guys and girls.
    Its the 9th of August and after applying for the ARMY GAP YEAR in march, I have finally received the letter I have been waiting for!
    I my enlistment day on the 2nd of Febuary 8am sharp.
    I can't wait, please anyone who is joining me please contact me on msn or email me at alexxhuntt@hotmail.com, it would be great to hear why you joined and if your interests are to continue!
    Talk to you SOON.
    Alex
    P.s. Applied for Rifleman as its the most phyically challenging and exciting career choice being offered.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information