Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ADF Gap Year

HSC

Smile ADF Gap Year

Hey all,
    Just wondering if there are people out there who are thinking about/applied for the ADF Gap year thingy. It sounds very enticing- paid to be in the army with no pressure to go on after the year is over. What are everyone's thoughts on this...is it simply a scam or can someone really benefit from this?

HSC

Re: ADF Gap Year

i don't see how it could be seen as a scam. they're offering $30-46k depending on how much service in the field you do (training not combat). the whole point of this initiative is to increase ADF numbers by letting kids try before they buy type situation. if u want to take a year off and get some money and experience for whatever reason, then id say its a relatively good option.

HSC

I don't see how it could not be a scam. There is no way they are going to pay a whole bunch of people to do nothing without having at least some tricks to lock people in for longer.... even if it is just slightly altering the real reality of being in the ADF.

You should never trust the military.

I'm not saying definitely don't do it, I'm just saying be careful about it.
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember
    that the fire department generally uses water.

HSC

yeh i agree that they will definately have tricks up their sleeves, after all they need to boost their numbers. but their is NO commitment to continue which is good and u can even pull out if its not what u think, which is another bonus. also to be honest i wouldnt mind joining the reserves if it turns out to be ok, good money and get to be part time...i guess thats what the gap yr thingy is for.

Cadet
    HSC

Getting paid between $30,000 and $46,000 p.a. depending on what job you do and what service? No requirement for continued service or a compulsory service term? Free health and dental care? Fully paid for or subsidised acc.?

Sounds absolutely fine for me

Rawr!
    HSC

My father would like to see me do it. I'm a bit nervous about the idea myself as well. Also not sure what to think of it, that and they said you have to be at a certian level of fitness, I'm not sure i'm that fit X_X
    What part were you thinking of? Navy, Army or Air Force?

^wooz*y^
    HSC

It's a great one year try before you buy for those school levers in yr 12 who are hesitant on directly joining the military. You get paid and have the opportunity to explore differnt roles and opportunities within your selected military service. A couple of my friends are going to ADFA and some of them are taking the GAP year. I'm joining the RAAF hopefully next year as a OFFCDT, medical officer(Doctor) under the undergraduate medical scheme i get paid up to 39ka year to study plus the RAAF base is only 5 mins away from where i live.

For more info: http://defencejobs.gov.au/ADFGapYear/
    or call 13 19 01

HSC

i too am worried about the fitness levels, but i guess u can work on that if u take it seriously. if i were to go i'd prob go into army or air force. caus in the navy u get alot of allowances due to being on a ship alot (coupla thousand i think- i wanna keep it instead!) do u think many girls would do it caus i dont wanna be all amongst guys...(not that it would be totally bad..lol)

dxb
    Cadet
    HSC

Im thinking about doing this thing too, most likely in the airforce. Unless i get an apprenticship, i supose I may end up their....

Im not real keen tho, u may be cleaning toilets for a whole year

HSC

nah not toilets thats for sure! u do 3 months basic training then 3 months to ur specific role and then the rest u put it into practice...anyone else thinkin of doin it??

HSC

Id be concerned about that 'no commitment'...It might be like with the ADFA paying for your degree, but if you quit and dont end up in the army, u have to pay back everything
    It will take time to restore chaos. - President Bush in a dumb moment.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Exphate
    Free trip to Iraq? $0
    Joining the Army for A gap year $-50k
    Coming home in a box: Priceless.
    firstly they cannot possibly send u to iraq..not enough time to train u and deploy u. im not defending it but just stating the apparent facts. i guess most are pretty pessimistic and cynical about it..and i mean with good reason, but i still dunno...:S

HSC

I think its just paranoia that people think when they join the service, the first thing that they're gonna cop is a bullet in the head and a flag on their doorstep. Honestly, its just another job.

HSC

If you've been serving for over 80 days in this gap year thing you can't get out of it, well the army part anyway.

HSC

yeh thats true...also after speaking to some guy online from ADF he said that half of the spots are already filled(out of 1000--so 500 gone roughly) so anyone looking into this should keep it in mind. in saying that, hopefully i get my info pack tomorow or the next day and then i will 95% be applying.

HSC

ADF Gap Year would be heaps of fun, like cadets except with more resources at your disposal, using at least some of the ridiculously high taxes we pay and getting paid 20 - 40 grand a year. It's a government initiative to entice more young people to join the army, just like what's being tried with promoting Army Cadets.
    I am a cat. As yet I have no name.

HSC

just put in my application today over the phone...its a long and draining process but hopefully its worth it!! *crosses fingers*

xoa
    Cadet
    HSC

It doesn't matter how many millions they spend on advertising or gimmicks. They'll tread water until they overhaul their pathetic recruitment system. They need to bring recruitment back in house - stop outsourcing recruitment operations to cheesy HR companies.

Google "9-11" and "truth" jb_nc's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by elena24
    yeh thats true...also after speaking to some guy online from ADF he said that half of the spots are already filled(out of 1000--so 500 gone roughly) so anyone looking into this should keep it in mind. in saying that, hopefully i get my info pack tomorow or the next day and then i will 95% be applying.
    newsflash: ADF recruiters may lie

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jb_nc
    newsflash: ADF recruiters may lie
    maybe ur right, prob are. oh well still going ahead. got my aptitude test mid Sep..wonder how that will be

HSC

My brother's signed up for it :/, mainly cos he doesn't know what else to do I think... He doesn't really want to go to uni, not just yet anyway, so he'll defer it for the year and see how he goes. And I thought you were allowed to leave after the training period's over, if it's not to you're liking.
    "Did that Mexican kick you out?"
    "She's not just any Mexican, mom, she's my Mexican. And she's Columbian or something."

"Oh. Hello Buster. Here, have a candy bar."
    "Oh tha-"
    "No. I'm witholding it. Look at me, getting off!"

Supposed to be studying
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerman8k
    I wouldnt degrade my self like that for 35k. Get a real career and you'll be better off in the long run.
    Zimmerman

May I respectfully say that I object most strenuously to your signature.
    But I respect your right to hold the view, and to express it.
    Lucky that you are free to have an opnion like that, and express it without being killed, locked up, tortured, or just "disappearing", eh?

You are free to hate Australia.
    But to say so, and yet to still stay here taking up it's freedoms, benefits, lurks and perks, is profoundly hypocitical.

I hereby offer to drive you to the airport myself.

HSC

Hey, yea i was thinkin bout doin da Gap year thing. my parents r really supportive about it but if i go then i will miss my sisters wedding which suks as im da maid of honor. im thinking bout da army so is there gonna b many girls applying 4 dat.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by soccer rules
    Hey, yea i was thinkin bout doin da Gap year thing. my parents r really supportive about it but if i go then i will miss my sisters wedding which suks as im da maid of honor. im thinking bout da army so is there gonna b many girls applying 4 dat.
    hey! yeh i thought the same thing about the army...i would assume not many girls would do it though. better off choosing navy/air force, also it allows u to leave wenever u want..so u may not miss ur sis's wedding(depending on when it is of course)

HSC

I filled in the application on the site for the army...I have to ring up and work out a time for my aptitude test soon as well..
    I'm not really sure if I want to go ahead with it but I don't really have any plans for my gap year and the money definately sounds good.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information