gap year.... 2 gap years? deffering...? (1 Viewer)

/\/\/\/\

HSC
okay so i think i might want to hold uni off for a year... or two.

i'm not 100% sure what a gap year entails, do you reserve your course for next year if you get an offer or do you apply through UAC again the next year?

and can you reserve your course for two years if its the latter?

and is a gap year the same as deferring? or can u have a gap year then enrol and then defer?

can you defer for two years?

With my course i'm about 4 points above but this is including eas points and bonus points for particular subjects so i'm wondering if i don't go to uni this year will these points still apply in 2011 or 2012? (for uts & unsw)
this post is probably very confusing and theres a few questions in it which is probably quite annoying but can someone help me out with any of them?

ps. this is regarding unsw and uts.... thanks

S:

philphie

Banned
HSC
first of all why do you need 2 years, or even the one?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
To take a gap year you defer your course for a year. Come the next year you enrol in your course and begin university. I don't think you can defer for 2 years, you should check the university website.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
i'm not 100% sure what a gap year entails, do you reserve your course for next year if you get an offer or do you apply through UAC again the next year?
A gap year is whatever you want it to be - working, traveling, time away from study etc. Assuming you have already applied for university courses then once you get your offer instead of accepting you deffer (assuming the course allows deferments as not all do).

and can you reserve your course for two years if its the latter?
No, usually you can only defer for a year though I think most universities do have exceptions. But I'm fairly certain generally no.

and is a gap year the same as deferring? or can u have a gap year then enrol and then defer?
Again a gap year isn't anything official it is what you make it. Deferring just ensures you have a place in your chosen university and something to go back to. So you can either not apply at all or apply and defer.

can you defer for two years?
As answered above.

With my course i'm about 4 points above but this is including eas points and bonus points for particular subjects so i'm wondering if i don't go to uni this year will these points still apply in 2011 or 2012? (for uts & unsw)
Urgh, it seems to be a bit of a belief on the forums in recent years that because you make the course cut off (which are based on the previous year) you will get in. This isn't always true as the course cut off score changes each year based on supply and demand, it is only a guide.

To answer your question, of that I'm not sure.

/\/\/\/\

HSC
first of all why do you need 2 years, or even the one?
a mad job.

and to may cat and pritnep thanks heaps.

oh and... anyone know how long your atar is valid for like how many years? i was thinking do nothing (uni wise) for a year then deferring the next year?

bio_nut

HSC
a mad job.

and to may cat and pritnep thanks heaps.

oh and... anyone know how long your atar is valid for like how many years? i was thinking do nothing (uni wise) for a year then deferring the next year?
If you defer it means you've accepted the offer, you're just taking a year off first. It doesn't matter if the ATAR cutoff changes, you have a guaranteed place. Only lasts a year.

Don't know how long ATAR lasts for, but pretty sure your bonus points won't count then, they only will if you accept an offer this year and defer.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think one year is enough. I don't think universities are generous enough to defer it for longer than a year.
If you take at least one year, my adivce is that you should really be working full time during that year. If you don't, it will be VERY hard to suddenly "switch back into study mode" when you actually start uni. Also, just keep in mind that by deferring for a second year (if that's even possible) you are also further delaying the time that you actually enter the workforce as a graduate relative to your peers...

Last edited:

chefman21

HSC
N/A
A gap year is worth it - as long as it's productive. I actually wish I took a gap year after high school. The benefit of hindsight... If you do, I seriously recommend taking a working holiday overseas. Don't go to an English speaking country - get out of your comfort zone and immerse yourself in a new culture. France, Italy, Spain, Japan, China - the list goes on. There are plenty of "Aussie Bars" you can work at for cash, being bilingual looks great on your resume and you'll gain perspective on the world. What's more, waking up for your morning walk and wandering past the Arc de Triomphe, Pantheon or Colosseum or an old Japanese temple is amazing. Use it to make friends & network but don't party too much. Experience it. You can party anywhere but you can't see the Great Wall of China, Auschwitz, the Black Forest or the Taj Mahal everywhere.

/\/\/\/\

HSC
A gap year is worth it - as long as it's productive. I actually wish I took a gap year after high school. The benefit of hindsight... If you do, I seriously recommend taking a working holiday overseas. Don't go to an English speaking country - get out of your comfort zone and immerse yourself in a new culture. France, Italy, Spain, Japan, China - the list goes on. There are plenty of "Aussie Bars" you can work at for cash, being bilingual looks great on your resume and you'll gain perspective on the world. What's more, waking up for your morning walk and wandering past the Arc de Triomphe, Pantheon or Colosseum or an old Japanese temple is amazing. Use it to make friends & network but don't party too much. Experience it. You can party anywhere but you can't see the Great Wall of China, Auschwitz, the Black Forest or the Taj Mahal everywhere.
yes.

Andi0390

HSC
As a lot of people have said deferment happens before enrollment and for one year.

What you could do is defer for a year, come back, study for six months, and then take a leave of absence for another year.

I am under the impression that bonus points only apply straight out of year 12.

Two years is a long time - I don't know what degree you are doing, but a standard degree will only take one year longer than that.

Your ATAR doesn't "run out", but once you are 21 I believe you are considered a mature age student, and are admitted under a different scheme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)