ADF Gap year (1 Viewer)

herm1t

HSC
Sine the old thread is still unavailable, is anyone thinking of or has done the ADF gap year? The navy/air force has now suspended their gap year program and army will be taking applications may 14th? Thoughts? Experiences? What have you heard about it?

b33g_boss

HSC
Qu. Is it relevant to undertake the bachelor of technology- aviation course to become a fighter pilot in the RAAF which requires a 98 ATAR @NSW ADFA, or are there other paths to that career choice?

Kittikhun

HSC
Hey, mate.

You can have a read here on the Gap year programme-

http://ausmilitary.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8008&start=330

Apparently, those who go through the Gap Year programme in the Army usually get sent off to some training position after Kapooka and their IET; always get nudged by the training staff to seriously consider studying at uni after the Gap Year and then becoming a GSO (you get a $10 000 bonus if you choose to do this); have hardly any chance of staying as an OR in the ARA after the one year contract is terminated (especially those who wish to become riflemen); and aren't respected by the ARA much.

Kittikhun

HSC
Qu. Is it relevant to undertake the bachelor of technology- aviation course to become a fighter pilot in the RAAF which requires a 98 ATAR @NSW ADFA, or are there other paths to that career choice?
There is another path. You can apply through direct entry after Year 12 and still become a fighter pilot (there are people who have done this- http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1609608) but be aware that fighter pilot selection is VERY, VERY COMPETITIVE, so if I were you I would endeavour to earn the highest marks as I possibly could, research my job preference as much as I could (and also other preferences i.e. the role of being a pilot for other planes, just in case-- we have less than 100 F/A-18 Hornets and F/A-18 Super Hornets in the whole RAAF) get as much leadership experience as I possibly could (but don't become one of those sycophantic wankers along the way), get as much flying experience as I could get (if you can afford it but keep in mind that this won't help you in getting your preference as they treat every applicant as an equal no matter how much civilian flying experience one of them have), do as many psychometric tests I could do, and start getting as fit as possible. At the end of the day, though, it's how you perform in your pilot training, once you have been selected to commence training as a pilot, that will determine whether you will be able to become a fighter pilot or a pilot of another aircraft. I recommend you to call DFR and ask them about this and to get your application through as early as possible especially if you are really considering about going to study at ADFA.

Last edited:
HSC
maybe i try for SSO officer soon

i dunno though, selection process. i am currently in a civil engineering cadetship and i dont want to leave that then not pass FSP

Kittikhun

HSC
I forgot to mention that you can still go to uni and study whatever you want and then apply-- you don't have to apply straight after Year 12. However, the younger you are when you apply the better, somewhere around the early twenties since your IMPS will be 14 years. Don't apply straight after you graduate from Year 12 since you will be up against those who have degrees and heaps of life experience and maturity.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)