Thinking about doing a Gap year have a few questions (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
So recently I've been thinking about going on a gab year instead of going straight to uni.
I'm just wondering, since most of the courses I want to go into have recommended or prerequisite school courses (e.g. chem or maths), how would it matter if i don't do any work for a year and forget most of my knowledge from those subjects? Would I have to bridge?

Change of direction...
Where do you think would be a good place to go? (i don't have a budget in mind at the moment but i want cheap and good).
Did you/your friends go on a gap year? where did you/they go? was it worth it?

thanks in advance

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, you would not have to bridge because you have officially finished the courses already.

Bridging is targeted primarily at those who have either:

1. Have not done the course at all, but it's a prereq for a subject they wanted.

2. People who have not touched the subject for several years so they are essentially the same as option #1.

You would have been away from the subject for 1 year, which really doesn't warrant the need of a bridging course unless you have the memory of a goldfish (is this expression even true?).

But by all means, go for one if you really feel that you have retained nothing from school.

A fair few of my friends went on gap year. However, their reasons are a bit different from yours. They wanted to do so because they did not get into Medicine, and did not want to risk reducing their chances by going into uni, getting not-so-great marks, then having it count towards their probability of entrance.

During their gap year, they did one or more of the following:

1. Went overseas for charity work.

2. Worked.

3. Being lazy around the house.

What makes you want to take a gap year? I was actually considering it too when I graduated, but I ended up not doing it.

Now, I am so glad that I didn't.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking about going to south africa (or similar place like asia ) and working with orphans (or something similar)

go-go_6

HSC
N/A
There are so many options -- you could even spend the year doing 3 or 4 different programs/activities.jobs. There are loads of options on a website called gap rap! It is really great!, it gives you loads of different options. I used it to plan my year and I am having an amazing time. :) :)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
I, myself, am currently working at a boarding school in Ireland for the year. They provide all food, accommodation and a weekly spending allowance in return for 2-3 hours work each day. If you want to know anything about it/what I do/how etc etc. feel free to PM me.

Michelle Lin

HSC
I, myself, am currently working at a boarding school in Ireland for the year. They provide all food, accommodation and a weekly spending allowance in return for 2-3 hours work each day. If you want to know anything about it/what I do/how etc etc. feel free to PM me.
Hi could you please tell me what your duties are/how they treat you/etc?

DeeDazza

HSC
I just finished school this year too and I'm taking a gap year. I'm working full time at the bakery I've been working at for over 2 years. I'm doing it to earn money for uni so I'm not completely poor when I leave.

HSC
I'm thinking about going to south africa (or similar place like asia ) and working with orphans (or something similar)
Yeah me too!! Personally I'm really interested in Asia so I'd advise you to do some background on the place first before deciding on location. I'd like to go to China (there's a few programs I've read about) and basically you spend a month in Beijing doing an intensive language course as well as a TESOL at the same time, then you do orientation and get sent out to teach English - I've heard there are heaps of options like working in schools specifically for orphans, working rurally or in cities, teaching high school or even adults.

I agree with taking a look at the reasons why you'd like to take a GAP - what you want to get out of it. In my case, I want to:
- Travel and see things in the world
- Learn another language and get in touch with another culture
- Mature a bit before I go to Uni
- Try out teaching a bit more
- Have more time to think about what I want to do XD
- Make a difference to someone's life

I have had family friends who regret going straight to uni and I want to break the tradition myself. No one who's come to give talks about GAPs say that they regret it. If anything, it's a life experience and is a sweet reward for finishing the HSC =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)