Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Queenroot
  • 1 Post By i1337

Thread: Is it best for me to have a Gap Year ehh.. Confused?

HSC

Is it best for me to have a Gap Year ehh.. Confused?

I know discussing this a bit to early but anyways I had an argument about this with my Mum recently whose against me taking a Gap Year after HSC. According to my Mum soon as I start Uni the following year it will feel like repeating when being with people younger than you and not to say going behind in my studies and career.

I have not made up my mind yet. To me a Gap Year just seems so fanciful and abstract like idea which is a once in a lifetime opportunity. However I haven't considered the downsides of a Gap Year in depth and have read/heard a lot of mixed raves and criticisms.

I have many reasons for taking a year off.

1. I just feel I need a big long break and work somewhere on a regular basis to earn money and buy my own things so I don't have to feel guilt tripped by my Mum all the time.
    2. I want to finally relieve the feeling of procastination and finally not worry about anything like exams or studying, whilst full-heartedly pursuing my interests.
    3. I want time to adequately plan out my career and life, and revaluate who I am as a person and where I want to be.
    4. Related to 3. As a person I don't feel mature yet for adulthood and things that come along with it like the more responsibilities and other things. So need to make myself ready to face these changes.
    5. To have time to improve my physical health and build my physique through an enriching diet, fitness and gym sessions. Which of now I haven't had the time to pursue.
    6.As you can notice from the above, I suck at multitasking and having a balance between study and other things. So yeah need time to develop some of those skills I lack.

What do you guys think?

HSC

Re: Is it best for me to have a Gap Year ehh.. Confused?

Other thing is in case I want to continue to pursue Medicine and don't get in as a result of a poor UMAT score or interview but with a great HSC score I would have sufficient time to prepare for it with a gap year. Major worry for me is that I am taking HSC 100x more serious than UMAT prep and believe me it would still be the case throughout these months. However I would still go for a Gap Year even if I get in first go.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC

Yeah take it

It won't feel like repeating with people younger than you

uni is different

people fail, people do part time semesters, people take gap years, so there will always be a mix of ages
    Simorgh and mrstripedshades like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    what are you studying at uni? try and get some relevant stuff on your resume if possible

So like, I volunteered for Girls Do The Maths
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxica View Post
    Of course you did.

HSC
    N/A

Logged in 2 reply. I took a gap year.

1. I just feel I need a big long break and work somewhere on a regular basis to earn money and buy my own things so I don't have to feel guilt tripped by my Mum all the time.
    2. I want to finally relieve the feeling of procastination and finally not worry about anything like exams or studying, whilst full-heartedly pursuing my interests.
    3. I want time to adequately plan out my career and life, and revaluate who I am as a person and where I want to be.
    4. Related to 3. As a person I don't feel mature yet for adulthood and things that come along with it like the more responsibilities and other things. So need to make myself ready to face these changes.
    5. To have time to improve my physical health and build my physique through an enriching diet, fitness and gym sessions. Which of now I haven't had the time to pursue.
    6.As you can notice from the above, I suck at multitasking and having a balance between study and other things. So yeah need time to develop some of those skills I lack.
    1. I can feel with that. I got my first job, worked really hard at it, got a bit lucky, etc. Earnt $33k this year so far, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but you know...imagine being an 18 year old with that kind of money.

2. Exact same. I spent the time programming, collecting keyboards (Ajazz Ak33 RGB / KB Paradise v60 mini / Goldtouch V2 + Datamancer typewriter keycap sets and a few others!), building my own computer (gtx 1080 / i7 6700 / mATX) and I made a lot of new friends.

3. Still figuring this part out, but this year definitely helped.

4. Still figuring this part out, but this year definitely helped.

5. Working on this, it's a lifelong journey and not just a year but this year has definitely been a good start.

6. etc

Are there down sides?

1. You may be a year late on your 'real' career. But think about it, how many people change uni degrees after a year ( A LOT of my friends did). How many people get a job even unrelated to their degree? How many people end up finishing a degree and then doing another degree - one that essentially nullifies the initial degree? Quite a lot.

2. Sometimes you may get bored if you don't find a job. Finding a job can initially be very daunting and upsetting. I'll admit I got lucky, but persistence is key.

3. You may get too lazy when uni starts - but this can go the over way around. You may feel recharged, more motivated etc which may lead to better marks ---> better long term career prospects

A gap year is quite common in NZ culture, particularly for the purpose of travelling. I wanted to travel to Japan to test out all the newest HKKB topres (google) but had other things pop up.

Other benefits I've got?

- More mature. Met like minded people with similar goals. Purused my own interests (self-satisfaction). Refined my social / people / negotiation / selling / pursuaion etc skills due to the nature of my job interacting with a lot of people. Learnt how to be more responsible / pragmatic / goal - driven etc.

I can say with 100% certainty that taking a gap year has been one of the best, if not the best decisions, I have ever made. I am a better version of myself in every measurable way.

I can also say with 100% certainty that I would have failed uni if I didn't take a gap year. One thing I found out I had was ADHD and am getting it treated (no I wont sell you druggos my adderal). Did surprisingly well in HS because I was only good at taking tests / bullshitting.

Any questions or something, just hit me up and I'll try and reply as soon as possible.

Your mileage may vary
    Last edited by i1337; 19 Dec 2016 at 2:01 AM.
    Simorgh likes this.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

I think you should take a GAP year.

I know in my course that there are heaps of mature aged students and people often end up doing slightly different degree progression so you will not be the oldest by any means.
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD

Thread Information