GAP year (1 Viewer)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
I'm on a GAP year at the moment in England, and was wondereing what it's like to come home and go to uni the year below everyone you know. Does it make any difference at all?

Acid

HSC
You looking for an excuse not to go back to uni?:)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
or a chance to see europe....
and maybe drink a bit ;)

X

xeuyrawp

Dougie said:
I'm on a GAP year at the moment in England, and was wondereing what it's like to come home and go to uni the year below everyone you know. Does it make any difference at all?
I don't think it would matter too much. I'm going to be a year behind the law students, but I doubt there'll be any difference, besides the fact that I'll know how to navigate the university system (library, bureaucracy, essays, etc), - but you have to remember you'll be new with everyone else. The actual age difference won't mean squat.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
and anyway, i reckon i've learnt twice as much as them this year so far. have you taken the year off? what r u doing?

X

xeuyrawp

Dougie said:
and anyway, i reckon i've learnt twice as much as them this year so far. have you taken the year off? what r u doing?
Oh, I should have clarified. The B Ancient History (Honours) degree came into existence last year. I wanted to do this combined with law, which meant that I don't do any law units till next year. I am the first person doing BAncHist/Law at macquarie :D... So I'll be one year behind the law students (not to mention the other year due to my honours year). The only reason why I wanted to do the above degree was the ability to do some cool history subjects that wouldn't be offered till later, or not at all. But yeh, law next year:)

How is gap, anyway? What are you doing on it?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
lol, what am i doing, well i've been to italy, germany, austria, ireland, scotland, nth irland, wales, and all over england. i was in london when the bombs blew. and in a week a leave for....
turkey, bulgaria, romania, slovakia, cech republic, hungary, poland, austria and germany (again), holland, spain, and greece. and finally switzerland...
and as for how is it...
WOW!!!! couldn't b any better. there's no time to urself though, and i drink english bitter now by choice rather than aussie lager :(
but i'll be home soon :D

X

xeuyrawp

Dougie said:
lol, what am i doing, well i've been to italy, germany, austria, ireland, scotland, nth irland, wales, and all over england. i was in london when the bombs blew. and in a week a leave for....
turkey, bulgaria, romania, slovakia, cech republic, hungary, poland, austria and germany (again), holland, spain, and greece. and finally switzerland...
and as for how is it...
WOW!!!! couldn't b any better. there's no time to urself though, and i drink english bitter now by choice rather than aussie lager :(
but i'll be home soon :D
Wow, you've been everywhere. Sounds like fun. You haven't been close to, nor going to Scandinavia?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
1. too expensive on my budget
2. um... no, one reason's good enough ;)
i'd love to, but the closest i could get was eastern europe. scandinavia is just harder to get to, and more expensive. and there is soooo much to see in europe. i don't know if i'm even going to get to paris, wouldn't that be terrible!

X

xeuyrawp

Dougie said:
1. too expensive on my budget
2. um... no, one reason's good enough ;)
i'd love to, but the closest i could get was eastern europe. scandinavia is just harder to get to, and more expensive. and there is soooo much to see in europe. i don't know if i'm even going to get to paris, wouldn't that be terrible!
You have to go to Paris, and Skelleftea.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In my course at least there are a lot of people who are either a year older, or a couple of years older even and you don't really notice at all. Age isn't such a big thing at uni, it's so different from school.

Wow your travels sound amazing! I'm hoping to go on exchange to the UK next year and I hope to see a bit of Europe while I am over there.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
what's at Skelleftea to c (apart from nice scenery, which is everywhere!
i gues your right with the whole age thing, i s'ppose it'll be cool knowing ppl in both years from word go!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i don't think it really matters.. i went straight from school to uni, but most of my friends took a year or more off...we're still great friends, they're just older than me.. which means i am often the last one to flake when we go out partying :D

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i took a year off and worked for a year and i understand what u mean about learning a lot in taking a year off!!

as for being at uni and being a year older it doesn't really matter... plus i live at college so i'm surrounded by people older and younger than i am (i rekon it's more weird the way i look at most of the 2nd years, even though most of them are my age)

i have a mate at college who turned 18 in may and another mate of ours turned 21 in may and we don't sit there and go "omg you are like 3 years older than her" - you just don't notice it

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i reckon i'm already alright with age differences, cause i live and work at a school over here. all my friends are teachers who are at least mid 30s, usually older and married! you learn quickly all the formalities of dinner parties, and english drinking, etc ;)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh heaps of people like dont get into the course they want to do.. then they do a year of another course and transfer.. in my course we have heaps of people who finished in 03 because they transferred after a year
but yeh theres always mature age students so you wont be that old :p

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I was on GAP last year also in a boarding school and am now doing first year engineering....thing is you wouldnt know the difference really...noone in my course would have known i was any older until it came around to my birthday.
You just a years worth of good stories and photos for everyone to admire.
Its wierd getting back into the habit of study but apart from that you settle right in and its all good! Enjoy the rest of your summer (so many good memories)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)