The Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 Thread (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
badquinton304 said:
Yeah the longest cut scenes were generally about 40 mins off the top of my head. MGS4 is the first game in a long time that has made me feel so involved, there are only two other games that have given me that sort of experience and they are Final Fantasy VII and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
And what do you mean involved? As in feeling you're inside the game and you're really that character? Or do you mean engaged with the story line?

badquinton304

HSC
AsyLum said:
And what do you mean involved? As in feeling you're inside the game and you're really that character? Or do you mean engaged with the story line?
A bit of both actually, but you really have to play the full thing to experience it, its one of those games which you just have to play it to experience it.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Playing dead space atm on Xbox 360. Its a great game so far and much more satisfying than my experience with the last remnant (which I am just about to finish)....

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Ah yes, Dead Space, i got it on my laptop. Not a bad game, quite good looking, but zero replay value. Not worth buying for a 1 off play, i reckon (which is why i downloaded).

And in terms of immersiveness, Far Cry 2 is quite immersive. I caught myself moving my head down (but eyes still locked on screen) while i looked at my map while i was driving. Funny when u do that.

edit: i also caught myself thinking "Yeah bitch, in your face!" when i shot someone in the face with my uber-silenced dart gun, but thats thinking, so i guess it doesnt count. But who doesnt do that :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
theres replay value for dead space on the 360. im considering playing again for the achievements, plus because it was a lot of fun :)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
yeahh i've picked it up again, just about to finish it

gonna start it on the hardest difficulty and get that plasma cutter only achievement in one go once i've done

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I didnt find it fun.

I used to play from about 11.30pm to about 2am (the latest), with headfones on. Kinda creepy then, but still not a particularly awesome game i'd like to play again and again, like banjo kazooie, or god of war 1 and 2...

Actually, not many fps's give me much replay value, except maybe aliens vs predator 2, which was my first ever fps.

Resident Evil 4 was particuarly awesome, shame the pc version has no mouse support.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
badquinton304 said:
A bit of both actually, but you really have to play the full thing to experience it, its one of those games which you just have to play it to experience it.
No I ask because I felt no attachment to it or Snake or to any character at all, and was wondering what aspect it was that took you in.

Like my previous posts, I felt like I was moving from one FMV to another, the one exception was probably MGS1 on the PSX, and I think it was because it was the first time I'd seen the 3D/top down view done so effectively

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Actually, not many fps's give me much replay value, except maybe aliens vs predator 2, which was my first ever fps.
lucky dead space is a third person shooter then ;)

badquinton304

HSC
AsyLum said:
No I ask because I felt no attachment to it or Snake or to any character at all, and was wondering what aspect it was that took you in.

Like my previous posts, I felt like I was moving from one FMV to another, the one exception was probably MGS1 on the PSX, and I think it was because it was the first time I'd seen the 3D/top down view done so effectively
I guess its just not your game then.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I managed to get a local Aussie copy of Valkyria Chronicles!!

YES....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
badquinton304 said:
I guess its just not your game then.
Nah that's a bit of a copout, that's like artists telling people 'you just don't get it'.

Its nowhere that complex, so please at least substanstiate some of your feelings about the game past 'oh cos you need to have played the whole game111!!'

So what is it about 'playing more' of the game that should enthrall me?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
AsyLum said:
Nah that's a bit of a copout, that's like artists telling people 'you just don't get it'.

Its nowhere that complex, so please at least substanstiate some of your feelings about the game past 'oh cos you need to have played the whole game111!!'

So what is it about 'playing more' of the game that should enthrall me?
IMO, to each is their own. Some people may like a game, some people may hate it.

To me though, having played the whole MGS series I loved the 4th. It's such an emotional experience (yes, ti is emotional for those who have played all previous 3 series).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah, I agree. It's not really a copout. Taste is subjective. I'm not a fan of strategy games whilst others may adore them.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
shinji said:
IMO, to each is their own. Some people may like a game, some people may hate it.

To me though, having played the whole MGS series I loved the 4th. It's such an emotional experience (yes, ti is emotional for those who have played all previous 3 series).
Plus Portable Ops and the old MG series on SNES.

I have to admit, they better have some more decent games come out on ps3 soon... I'm starting to use my xbox 360 alot more because it has a wider range of games that are actually worth playing. Apparently, FFXIII is coming out on both consoles this march??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yeah, I agree. It's not really a copout. Taste is subjective. I'm not a fan of strategy games whilst others may adore them.
shinji said:

Haha I'm probably coming off a bit aggressive, not my intention, I'm genuinely interested in trying to find out what it is about certain video game experiences, such as MGS that actually 'engage' people.

Tastes are subjective, but they can still be defined or at least extrapolated/identified to a certain degree. Like for strategy games, I can identify the need to micro-manage and the almost god-like complex of playing the game as being the thing I enjoy in it, while others may see this as not their 'cup of tea' it has been identified as being that factor which either party enjoys/doesn't.

(Trying to find research areas for my pee haytch dee so forgive the questions :))

stazi

Nightman
HSC
without having played MGS, someone could easily say "I like MGS because it immerses me into the game by providing a 'movie-like' experience. I observe character development and get engrosed in the story, but am also given the opportunity to continue the story on my own terms"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)