What is the best trilogy of books or series? (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
too many to list, currently it is

tales of the ortori by Lian Hearn/Gillian
and
any of the scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
marcquelle said:
too many to list, currently it is

tales of the ortori by Lian Hearn/Gillian
and
any of the scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell
Lord of the Rings, though I reckon the movies are better.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Best ever series ever will always be Discworld by Terry Pratchett, but my favourite series is the Old Kingdom series by Gareth Nix, i dunno why, necromancers are just fun.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
-may-cat- said:
Best ever series ever will always be Discworld by Terry Pratchett, but my favourite series is the Old Kingdom series by Gareth Nix, i dunno why, necromancers are just fun.
lol i remember reading that series - use to be one of my favs, still is i reckon

greekgun

HSC
Harry Potter series, inheritance cycle, the Bourne series by Robert Lundum and the Twilight series are some of my fav series/trilogies.

r0b

HSC
I'm hesitant to release this....but:

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy

I'm not sure anything can compare. Anyone who has the opportunity to read any of his books, do so. Unbelievable.

Air Jordan

HSC
Actually Ive never bothered to read LOTR, only the hobbit or something along those lines. But Im sure its awesome because the movies were great and people here seem to think it was good

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Actually Ive never bothered to read LOTR, only the hobbit or something along those lines. But Im sure its awesome because the movies were great and people here seem to think it was good

lol, what an odd thing to say... "i think the best series of all time is .... even though ive never read it before"

jennieTalia

HSC
Yeah, LOTR seems the obvious :) because it is awesome.

Garth Nix e.g. Sabriel, Abhorsen, Lirael etc were alright.

Eragon was good, but I didn't like the others in the series.

Narnia ftw :)

Twilight fails.

Harry Potter was pretty good.

I also liked the Books Of Pellinor series? I can't remember the author, but pretty damn good.

And, as a random sideline, the Noughts And Crosses series, by Malorie Blackman. Although admittedly the first one blew me away and the others sort of limped through it a little.
And I really enjoyed the Alex Ryder ones by Anthony Horowitz until I was like 13. I haven't read the very new ones though, as they sort of lose their appeal once you've grown up a little.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
There's this thing called wikipedia...

It's an epic sci-fi sage spanning 500 years. It's hilarious and exciting, and pure genius.

The movie "bicentennial man" you might have seen. It's based closely on one of the authors stories, and gives a good idea of the sorts of stories he tells.

Read the first book and you'll be hooked.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I also liked the Books Of Pellinor series? I can't remember the author, but pretty damn good.
alison croggon.

as for the topic on hand, there is no one best.
some of my favourites are george martin, steven erikson, scott bakker, fritz leiber, gene wolfe, joe abercrombie blablabla

jennieTalia

HSC
There's this thing called wikipedia...

It's an epic sci-fi sage spanning thousands of years. It's hilarious and exciting, and pure genius.

The movie "bicentennial man" you might have seen. It's based closely on one of the authors stories, and gives a good idea of the sorts of stories he tells.

Read the first book and you'll be hooked.
I've seen the film. Sci-fi isn't my deal really. But heck, maybe I'll give it a look.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Sci-fi isn't my deal really.
I hate, hate, hate people who say that, because it's so wrong.

People have this idea that 'sci-fi' means stuff like star trek, star wars, bad flashy nerdy stuff. That stuff is shit (except the original series of star trek <3).

Sci-fi is the most beautiful, magic, moving, artistic, and insightful into the human condition, of all genres.

The best sci-fi is the peak of all written fiction.

You need to read any of these novels to fix your brain
Five Great Novels: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, UBIK, A Scanner Darkly: Philip K. Dick: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Especially 'three stigmata of palmer eldritch' or 'scanner darkly'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)