Can you call people online as your friends? (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Like lets say; I happen to know this guy or girl over the internet, over a forum or social networking site, we know each other for i.e 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 1 year etc. Do you consider calling them as your friend? Or does it feel awkward? Bare in mind that you know them, chat with them, but have never met them yet.

I had this friend who I think she's a bit of a retard, she talks about some of her friends, she sound so into them but I ask her where they're from - she hasn't met them yet but talks to them online. :confused:

jennieTalia

HSC
Hmmm. I wouldn't say it could possibly be a close close friendship, but you can call pretty much anyone a friend nowadays.

The only thing is, they may not necessarily be who you think they are, and you might not even like them in person. An internet persona is not necessarily a real one.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Hmmm. I wouldn't say it could possibly be a close close friendship, but you can call pretty much anyone a friend nowadays.

The only thing is, they may not necessarily be who you think they are, and you might not even like them in person. An internet persona is not necessarily a real one.
that's true.

enterspacebar

HSC
N/A
It depends on a lot of factors. Do you trust them? I met a good friend of mine from a forum's site and I've known her for 5 years and at the end of last year I met her for the first time, cos we talked over the phone and we trusted each other. Yeah you can call people friends nowadays, but there's a big difference between an aquentince and a friend.

HSC
to a degree.
i've had really good internet "friends" who turned out to be total nutcases.

never fully trust internet peeps til I meet them.

GloomyBear

HSC
I do C:
I've known some for 3 years now.
Like some of them have sent me letters and we've met up in rl.
I usually have hobbies different from my friends at school so it's nice to meet others who have the same interests as me lol 0:

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
sorta. they're more like acquaintances

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If you've known them in real life for a while, they're friends, otherwise if it's someone on like facebook and another person asks who they are, I'd refer to them as an "internet friend".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)