legal secretary - good experience? (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Is a legal secretary job for a barrister worth pursuing? The only requirement they stated was that I be good at typing. I think they specified that they wanted a law student, however. I don't want to leave my current job in order to do something that won't be a good learning experience. It's 2-3 days a week.

Has anybody ever been a legal sec?

morganjane

HSC
I havent been a legal secretary, but i have a close friend who is.

There are the mundane parts about being a secretary, woohoo for coffee orders and photocopying but she sits in on court sessions, types up briefs etc etc, which reveals in a way the advantage of being a legal secretary while studying law.

Hope it helps in any way

Blessings
Morgan
xXx

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Is a legal secretary job for a barrister worth pursuing? The only requirement they stated was that I be good at typing. I think they specified that they wanted a law student, however. I don't want to leave my current job in order to do something that won't be a good learning experience. It's 2-3 days a week.

Currently posting from my job as a clerical assistant at a small law firm (2 solicitors). I'm an engineering/science student, and that's never really been a problem, but it helps that I've got an interest in law and a fair idea of what's going on, even if I'm not studying. It's far better work than retail and pays better as well, so I'd recommend it if you can get it.

In an average day I'll generally be assigned to one partner or the other, and I'll spend most of my time typing up their letters, affidavits and the like which they've dictated on cassette tape for me. I also answer and screen phone calls, and occasionally do some research when they aren't sure what the current provisions are for a certain process (e.g. last week I spent a day sorting out the documentation for a Probate Application from scratch).

*Baby-K*

HSC

It's a good role and I've been trying to find a job like it.
However be aware that some companies (especially the ones that say they want a first year law student) are just trying save money on advertisement. My bf works in recruitment so he explained it to me. Long story short- they advertise for 1st year students now, they receive heaps of CVs, they put them aside till next year when they really need someone and then they call you in a years time. Sometimes it's better to call whoever is advertising a job (if a phone number is provided) just to make sure that it's real.
Good luck.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
It's really weird that they called up and asked for references without even seeing me. It's not a good sign, is it?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's really weird that they called up and asked for references without even seeing me. It's not a good sign, is it?
If a prospective employer contacts you for any reason other than to tell you you've been unsuccessful, it's a good thing.

Lara1986

HSC
OT: Is a scholarship a 'selling point' on a resume?
Yes - every interview I have had since beginning uni that has been a bonus point in so far as getting a job.

However - whilst a bonus in employers eyes it can be a negative for you - i know that some employes take this as a sign that you don't 'need' money as much so are more willing to overwork and underpay you.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I've been a legal secretary before studying law and I've found the experience invaluable. Working for a senior associate, I don't do photocopying, coffee runs, etc - that's a junior job in my firm.

The benefit isn't so much that you will understand the law and not need to study so hard - it's that you get a true feeling for how the law is used, applied and avoided!

I've noticed in quite a few assignments that I'm getting higher marks than my fellow students because I find it easier to cut to the crux of the problem and apply the law to resolve the issue - whereas they sometimes tend to focus on theory and ideals at stages where it's not overly relevant.

I think working for a barrister would be excellent.

Good luck!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
For everyone's interest, there's an article in today's (Friday 6 Feb 09) Australian Financial Review:

Law clerks laid off as firms feel pinch

Friday, 06 February 2009 | The Australian Financial Review | James Eyers

On Monday night, nine of Deacons' 18 articled clerks in Melbourne received an email asking them to attend a meeting with their supervising partner and a human resources manager the next morning...​

There's more to the article of course, the link to the whole article is here but to read the whole article in the online version you need to be a subscriber.

Lara1986

HSC
Not surprising to hear.

I have been told by partners of firms, albeit small firms but successful and well regarded ones in family law related fields, that things are tight at the moment as workload has really fallen.

A lot are choosing not to replace all their clerks and other staff upon their graduation to solicitor positions.

It really is a less than fantastic time to be graduating this and the next few years, especially if you want to work in smaller suburban firms.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
For everyone's interest, there's an article in today's (Friday 6 Feb 09) Australian Financial Review:

Law clerks laid off as firms feel pinch

Friday, 06 February 2009 | The Australian Financial Review | James Eyers

On Monday night, nine of Deacons' 18 articled clerks in Melbourne received an email asking them to attend a meeting with their supervising partner and a human resources manager the next morning...​

There's more to the article of course, the link to the whole article is here but to read the whole article in the online version you need to be a subscriber.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA *wipes away a tear*

How much longer would they have had though? Surely it couldn't be more than two weeks of employment? Keeping the clerks on for another two weeks would have cost them $10,000 and wouldn't have left those guys with a black mark on their resume. Shit, I'm sure most of them would have merrily taken a pay cut down to award wages just to finish out the period. Clearly what's happened is that they've just decided to cut the clerks loose they aren't going to hire, just an example of bastardisation with the economic crisis providing a good excuse.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
More or less anything in the law should look great on your resume, I think. Even if all you're doing is typing (and you'll probably do more than that), you're still familiarising yourself with legal jargon and concepts in context, improving your letter-writing/communication skills, working in a professional environment... you can upsell any job you've got, especially if it has 'legal' in the title.

Mind you, this is mostly applicable if you're pursuing a career in the law anyway.

tinfoilhat

HSC
i do voluntary work at a legal centre. it's pretty good coz it's only 1 day per week and i get to hand out with socilitors which means good contacts + references.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA *wipes away a tear*

How much longer would they have had though? Surely it couldn't be more than two weeks of employment? Keeping the clerks on for another two weeks would have cost them $10,000 and wouldn't have left those guys with a black mark on their resume. Shit, I'm sure most of them would have merrily taken a pay cut down to award wages just to finish out the period. Clearly what's happened is that they've just decided to cut the clerks loose they aren't going to hire, just an example of bastardisation with the economic crisis providing a good excuse.
ARTICLED clerks; i.e people who are undertaking articles with the firm, not just a clerkship. It'd really fuck you over.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
At the interview, he complimented my grades, but then somehow seemed less impressed when I told him that some of them were taken at a less prestigious uni. Then he picked out one of my good grades from the prestigious uni and said "that's a very good mark. it's a tough subject" or something. He also asked what suburb I lived in and what primary school I went to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)