What subjects should I pick for year 11 & 12? (1 Viewer)

HSC
honestly to let you truth heres a general idea for my subjects for year 11 & 12:
Maths Ext 2
Advanced English
Economics
Chemistry
Biology

The question is that im definitely not interested in modern history, or geography crap.... but the thing is everyone complains about maths consuming alot of time.... should i select maths ext 1 or ext 2.... but the thing is i want to really choose maths ext 2 as one unit will be dropped, and also people say its beneficial for the 1st year of alot of uni courses....

What courses and how many units of each course should I pick?

and secondly what courses are you guys doing?

Last edited:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
honestly to let you truth heres a general idea for my subjects for year 11 & 12:
Maths Ext 2
Advancedx English
Economics
Chemistry
Biology

The question is that im definitely not interested in modern history, or geography crap.... but the thing is everyone complains about maths consuming alot of time.... should i select maths ext 1 or ext 2.... but the thing is i want to really choose maths ext 2 as one unit will be dropped, and also people say its beneficial for the 1st year of alot of uni courses....

make sure u do ext 2 maths!

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
you really don't need to be thinking about subjects this early do you? and anyway, you pick maths ext 2 in year 12, so that's not a concern for another 2 years. if you think you wanna study maths ext 2 in year 12, choose maths ext 1 for year 11 so that you'll have the option of moving up.

gella

HSC
Maths Ext 2
Advancedx English
Economics
Chemistry
Biology

reconsider advanced

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
reconsider taking advanced..

HSC
hey both of you said reconsider taking advanced english? why though.... i dont do to well at english.... so can you give me reasons to why i should english ext 1

soporific

HSC
see how you do in your mid term and final year reports before finalising anything... consider:

1. what subjects you enjoy
2. what subjects you're confident you'll do well in
3. what subjects you consistently receive your best marks in

and if you generally are a straight A student... ask yourself what subjects you are willing to commit to.. what interests you?

like if you reflexively turn to the business section of the herald... then taking a commerce related subject e.g. business or eco may be of your interest.

haha bad analogy but i'm sure you understand !:D

if you pick a science.. consider what aspect of junior science interests you the most as it forms the basis of what you learn later on. some people disagree and say yrs 7-10 is irrelevant and i don't particularly oppose this thought. so when subject selection times comes around just read up on your potential choices.

it seems to me like you're one keen yr 10 student. :D i didn't even consider subject choices this early. well good luck with it!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well read my subjects which are in my sig. I picked these long ago... But since I started these this year well... i'll give you a little overview on what it's like so far -

Physics: Very interesting, has maths involved, overall excellent subject, also has high scaling

Chemistry: Alrite..... not as good as I thought it would be but what can you do? It might get better later on.. chemistry has medium scaling... not too great... (if you dont believe me check out SAM)

Economics: Again like physics, very interesting also has a small amount of maths involved but thats later on in the year... high scaling subject for hsc

Business Studies: Boring.. I know all the stuff we are learning already.. too much theory work... not very interesting, by the overview we got from the teacher.. sounded very lame................ also business isnt too good with scaling

English Advance: Interesting, not really a big fan of shakespeare.. to be honest I couldnt care less about him and his plays... overall its alrite...... same scaling as english standard

English Extension: We get too much useless homework which has nothing to do with anything.. meaning its just useless.. has good scaling but too much work load involved

Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1: Interesting since maths is my best subject, a lot of work load, you need to listen in class and hope you get a good teacher if not you have to self study which takes a little longer but it lasts longer in your brain.. maths ex. 1 is high scaling

Overall I am enjoying all subjects other then English extension and business studies

In year 12 I plan on moving up to Extension 2 maths and dropping business studies which will leave me with 12 units, I currently have 14.

But if you plan to do 4 unit maths you need to be prepared to put in the effort and spend about 3-4 hours a night because you get a lot of homework plus you need to study.

Hope I helped :)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
english advanced - if you are unsure of whether to do advanced or standard english, choose advanced. then you have the option of dropping down to standard later if the work is too difficult.

maths - if you want to do extension 2 maths in year 12, then take up extension maths next year and see how you go. according to my friends, you'll need to do like an hour or something of homework every night if you choose to do extension next year so you need to prepare yourself for the workload.

biology - its really interesting, just a hell lot of content. but the content is pretty easy to understand though.

economics - its pretty good because now i understand a little bit more on what they talk about on the financial new with the whole stimulus packages and stuff. but i sometimes find it a bit challenging and boring though.

chemistry - no idea..sorry.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I thought I would fix some minor errors:

K, don't do Extension 1 English, but Advanced > Standard, from scaling perspective, difficulty, ease in getting a higher band.
Reconsider what you just said there. I have to strongly note, again and over again, that both English (Advanced) and English (Standard) have the same scaling. How? Let me explain:

1. All students from English (Standard) and English (Advanced) take the common paper known as Paper 1: Area of Study - Belonging (from this year).
2. However, students from English (Standard) then do their own Paper 2 while English (Advanced) students do their own Paper 2.
3. Using the results from Paper 1, they line up the results of the English (Advanced) Paper 2 and English (Standard). So Paper 1 acts like a measuring stick.

So both have got same scaling because of that. My explanation above is quite elementary. I am aware of that because I myself cannot explain properly because the scaling system adopted for English is quite complex.

HSC
see how you do in your mid term and final year reports before finalising anything... consider:

1. what subjects you enjoy
2. what subjects you're confident you'll do well in
3. what subjects you consistently receive your best marks in

and if you generally are a straight A student... ask yourself what subjects you are willing to commit to.. what interests you?

like if you reflexively turn to the business section of the herald... then taking a commerce related subject e.g. business or eco may be of your interest.

haha bad analogy but i'm sure you understand !:D

if you pick a science.. consider what aspect of junior science interests you the most as it forms the basis of what you learn later on. some people disagree and say yrs 7-10 is irrelevant and i don't particularly oppose this thought. so when subject selection times comes around just read up on your potential choices.

it seems to me like you're one keen yr 10 student. :D i didn't even consider subject choices this early. well good luck with it!
thanks very much for the advice very helpful man! :D

HSC
Well read my subjects which are in my sig. I picked these long ago... But since I started these this year well... i'll give you a little overview on what it's like so far -

Physics: Very interesting, has maths involved, overall excellent subject, also has high scaling

Chemistry: Alrite..... not as good as I thought it would be but what can you do? It might get better later on.. chemistry has medium scaling... not too great... (if you dont believe me check out SAM)

Economics: Again like physics, very interesting also has a small amount of maths involved but thats later on in the year... high scaling subject for hsc

Business Studies: Boring.. I know all the stuff we are learning already.. too much theory work... not very interesting, by the overview we got from the teacher.. sounded very lame................ also business isnt too good with scaling

English Advance: Interesting, not really a big fan of shakespeare.. to be honest I couldnt care less about him and his plays... overall its alrite...... same scaling as english standard

English Extension: We get too much useless homework which has nothing to do with anything.. meaning its just useless.. has good scaling but too much work load involved

Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1: Interesting since maths is my best subject, a lot of work load, you need to listen in class and hope you get a good teacher if not you have to self study which takes a little longer but it lasts longer in your brain.. maths ex. 1 is high scaling

Overall I am enjoying all subjects other then English extension and business studies

In year 12 I plan on moving up to Extension 2 maths and dropping business studies which will leave me with 12 units, I currently have 14.

But if you plan to do 4 unit maths you need to be prepared to put in the effort and spend about 3-4 hours a night because you get a lot of homework plus you need to study.

mate you definitely helped.... would've taken you ages to write all this THANKS SOO MUCH!!! for the advice and help!!!:D:D:D

HSC
english advanced - if you are unsure of whether to do advanced or standard english, choose advanced. then you have the option of dropping down to standard later if the work is too difficult.

maths - if you want to do extension 2 maths in year 12, then take up extension maths next year and see how you go. according to my friends, you'll need to do like an hour or something of homework every night if you choose to do extension next year so you need to prepare yourself for the workload.

biology - its really interesting, just a hell lot of content. but the content is pretty easy to understand though.

economics - its pretty good because now i understand a little bit more on what they talk about on the financial new with the whole stimulus packages and stuff. but i sometimes find it a bit challenging and boring though.

chemistry - no idea..sorry.

Thank you again sorry it seems like im faking thank yous but srsly guys thanks for all the help!!! good luck in ur HSC

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm choosing those exact subjects.
But.. instead of Economics I'm doing Physics

zzzz12345

HSC

Actually Chemistry scales better than biology and physics and is generally the highest scaling science (though this does vary some years as scaling varies according to the performance of the cohort). If you don't believe me check the scaling reports. This being said though scaling should be considered it should never be the sole reason you choose a subject. No matter how well e.g. 4 Unit Maths scales a 40 will never scale up to a 99.

In terms of choosing subjects; think about the subjects that you enjoy (and thus will be willing to put effort into) and that you think you can do well in. Asking your teachers for advice is a good idea but not this early in the year. A lot can change within a year; for example I was completely decided (throughout Year 10) on doing no maths in Years 11 and 12; Now I do Extension II.
You still have a year to decide and will be inundated with extensive subject propaganda later on in the year so don't worry too much about it now.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually Chemistry scales better than biology and physics and is generally the highest scaling science (though this does vary some years as scaling varies according to the performance of the cohort). If you don't believe me check the scaling reports. This being said though scaling should be considered it should never be the sole reason you choose a subject. No matter how well e.g. 4 Unit Maths scales a 40 will never scale up to a 99.

In terms of choosing subjects; think about the subjects that you enjoy (and thus will be willing to put effort into) and that you think you can do well in. Asking your teachers for advice is a good idea but not this early in the year. A lot can change within a year; for example I was completely decided (throughout Year 10) on doing no maths in Years 11 and 12; Now I do Extension II.
You still have a year to decide and will be inundated with extensive subject propaganda later on in the year so don't worry too much about it now.
Nah well i agree with you, but im just going from what SAM says for 2008, well I think I put in 95 and it came back as 93? so yea... just saying from the 2008 experience.

zzzz12345

HSC
Nah well i agree with you, but im just going from what SAM says for 2008, well I think I put in 95 and it came back as 93? so yea... just saying from the 2008 experience.
If you put in 95 for physics you would also note that it would drop down to low 90s (or lower). SAM is not indicative of a clear depiction of the scaling of a subject; scaling reports are much more accurate and accessible. Generally; looking at HSC means in subjects and the scaled mean; essentially no subjects (aside from notable exceptions such as 4U maths) have a scaled mean greater than the HSC mean and thus the marks do go down when inputted into a UAI calculator (unless you're inputing something like 98 or a mark which corresponds to like the 100th percentile). The extent to which they drop down is indicative of their scaling as with some subjects an 80 could halve to a scaled 40 due to their low scaling.
Basically in summary Chemistry scales well; and has done so basically every year.
Sorry about the rant but Chemistry happens to be one of my favourite subjects and I am much to willing to jump to its defense.
Hope you start enjoying chemistry more; it does get better as you proceed through the Year 11 course; though some mandatory pracs are quite insulting to one's intelligence.

studentcheese

HSC
hey both of you said reconsider taking advanced english? why though.... i dont do to well at english.... so can you give me reasons to why i should english ext 1
They mean that you shouldn't take English Advanced because of the tautology in 'honestly, to tell the truth'. To be honest is to tell the truth, so you either put 'to be honest' or 'to tell the truth'. Don't put both in the same sentence.

I think that's a good subject selection, but be beware of school subject lines and subject availability. Anyway, you still have a long time to go until Year 12, so why not consider your Yr 11 subjects first?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)