3 Asylum Seekers killed in North Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Downer weighs in to boat blast debate

Former foreign minister Alexander Downer says there is no doubt the Government's asylum seeker policies are connected to yesterday's fatal boat blast near Ashmore Island.

"Definitely there's just no question of it," he told Canberra ABC Local Radio.

"People smugglers in Indonesia were very interested in the election campaign in Australia and of course they followed very closely the debate that took place," he said.

"I know people in Indonesia who know people smugglers personally and I have seen material to that effect.

"So whatever position you take on the issue it's important to understand that these people hope that we run a slacker, or as lax a policy, as possible."
Downer's a cunt. What a terrible, dishonest way to try to make political capital.

The Rudd government has abolished the use of temporary protection visas and changed the rules of detention

Neither of which change the incentives for people smugglers at all.

Come to Australia legally.

If we won't take you, fuck off to a country that will take you legally.
The official channels don't work. I gather, for a long time well past the fall of the former regime, for whatever reason, the Australian embassy in Iraq closed its doors and wouldn't accept new applicants.

And then you have the many people who are sent home and executed in short order.

I'm sympathetic to people facing their certain deaths.

The legal channels make mistakes, as in a few obvious high profile cases. If Australian citizens can be deported, how fair is the judgement being placed on actual refugees?

fleckar

HSC
There are too many problems with just "accepting" immigrants. These immigrants were from Afghanistan, a backwards, dirty, violent country. Just expecting them to come here and embrace our beautiful, modern, 21st century values when they don't know the culture, history, language etc. is kinda retarded.

They bring with them giant families with no real job applicable skills and live in Muslim communities and because of their economic situation, are forced to turn to crime.

Who says there even is a solution?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I will be very interested to see the Rudd government's response. I am all for zero tolerance of illegal asylum seekers. They have no divine right to enter this country just because they emptied their life savings on a boat trip. They are more than welcome to apply through legal channels.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I will be very interested to see the Rudd government's response. I am all for zero tolerance of illegal asylum seekers. They have no divine right to enter this country just because they emptied their life savings on a boat trip. They are more than welcome to apply through legal channels.
like the australian embassy in afghanistan

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
There are too many problems with just "accepting" immigrants. These immigrants were from Afghanistan, a backwards, dirty, violent country. Just expecting them to come here and embrace our beautiful, modern, 21st century values when they don't know the culture, history, language etc. is kinda retarded.

They bring with them giant families with no real job applicable skills and live in Muslim communities and because of their economic situation, are forced to turn to crime.

There are too many problems with just "accepting" immigrants[citation needed]. These immigrants were from Afghanistan, a backwards, dirty, violent country[citation needed]. Just expecting them[who's expecting?] to come here and embrace[why?] our beautiful, modern, 21st century values[says who?] when they don't know the culture[citation needed], history[citation needed], language[citation needed] etc. is kinda retarded.

They bring with them giant families[citation needed] with no real job applicable skills[citation needed] and live in Muslim communities[citation needed] and because of their economic situation, are forced to turn to crime[citation needed].

Lentern

HSC
Do you honestly believe this?
Dont you have some family history here? When mine came, there was fuck all.
Now look what we have done! I have inherited their hard work in building something from nothing. I have a responsibility to be worthy of their sacrifice, their determination and steel. This is our place - it holds the memories of my family and our people. This makes me much more deservant of its fruits than foreigners.
Just as the sins of the father should not be visited upon by the son my catholic friend nor should the son of the nobleman be granted superiority due to his lineage!

Read your bible imposter, Deuteronomy, 23:15-16

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand him over to his master.

16 Let him live among you wherever he likes and in whatever town he chooses. Do not oppress him.
This ain't a rough, vague passage my friend it is clear as day, god says don't kill, don't be a fag, treat refugees as equals.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
People smuggling is a legitimate business. The people smugglers don't want their boats to be unsafe and kill people. The sinking of a boat must be a huge shock to their business and reputation in the market. They are only unsafe because it's not financially viable to purchase more seaworthy craft, especially with the high risk of the boats being seized due to their activity being criminalized.

If the government really wants to help refugees, they should provide financial assistance, training and equipment to people smugglers.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
People smuggling is a legitimate business. The people smugglers don't want their boats to be unsafe and kill people. The sinking of a boat must be a huge shock to their business and reputation in the market. They are only unsafe because it's not financially viable to purchase more seaworthy craft, especially with the high risk of the boats being seized due to their activity being criminalized.

If the government really wants to help refugees, they should provide financial assistance, training and equipment to people smugglers.

Indeed.

People don't realise that these smugglers have been hit hard by the global financial crisis.
The sinking of their boat has compounded the problem.

Here we were on our high horse thinking they're "too big" to collapse.

I propose a bail-out package.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Spreading petrol and setting your boat on fire.

Yeah, these are the types of nongs I want to live next door to. :confused:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To clarify, if they did burn their own boat (as is probably the case), would this be so that the naval forces monitoring them would be forced to pick them up and take them to Australian hospitals?
Pretty clever if so.
We need these hard-core thinkers

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
To clarify, if they did burn their own boat (as is probably the case), would this be so that the naval forces monitoring them would be forced to pick them up and take them to Australian hospitals?
Pretty clever if so.
We need these hard-core thinkers
Yes.

Much like that time they threw their children overboard and stuck forks in their motor so they'd be stranded.

Scum.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
May their guides rot in jay-hell

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Spreading petrol and setting your boat on fire.

Yeah, these are the types of nongs I want to live next door to. :confused:
Alleged.

I seriously think people smuggling (in regards to refugees alone) is generally moral. There'll be instances of immorality, but the overrall principle and spirit is right. It really is the only option for these people. It's a huge investment to secure a place on one of these boats, the kind of money that would buy a very good life in the countries they're fleeing, the only reason they'd waste such a large amount of money is if their life is in danger if they were not to leave their home country.

People smugglers are doing the right thing in providing a necessary service to rescue people in peril. It's completely fair for them to charge a fee for this service, they can only possibly help a limited number of people, charging a fee, making money keeps the business sustainable and enables them to help more people. The people smugglers would prefer not to lose their boats and staff, but it's unavoidable due to the harrassment they face from the state.

I'm for the rule of law where it's appropriate and fair, but these people have no legal recourse, the law is absurd. I have no respect for the law that condemns people to die. People smugglers are heroic, I have great respect for their work.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
There are still lots of legitimate ways into this country. If youre willing to spend a fortune and risk your life getting in illegitimately, what's the beef? Can we say that all of these people face certain death if they dont take the journey?
My basic attitude is that in most cases people should strive to improve their nation from within, rather than flee to some foreign land where theyll most likely remain unhappy, at least socially.

In the new global order, we'll all be global citizens by birth and able to access the same law and opportunities anywhere in the world, regardless of race, religion, region etc. Until that time, there are rule to be respectin

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Yes.

Much like that time they threw their children overboard and stuck forks in their motor so they'd be stranded.

Scum.
do u live in john howard's experience machine or are you just generally disillusioned with reality

Lentern

HSC
Yes.

Scum.
You are simply an unspeakably evil person. There are few people in this world who honestly don't factor morals or ethics into their ideals whatsoever and let themselves be driven by hatred, selfishness and spite and I am trully convinced you are one of them. You are a burden to your country, you diminish the reputation of Australians everytime you open your mouth. It is because of people like you I feel at times as though I need to apologise for being Australian.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You are simply an unspeakably evil person. There are few people in this world who honestly don't factor morals or ethics into their ideals whatsoever and let themselves be driven by hatred, selfishness and spite and I am trully convinced you are one of them. You are a burden to your country, you diminish the reputation of Australians everytime you open your mouth. It is because of people like you I feel at times as though I need to apologise for being Australian.
Don't apologise for being Australian, apologise for being an absolute nong.

Lentern

HSC
Don't apologise for being Australian, apologise for being an absolute nong.
Katie, you go down to Villawood once a week like I do, sit down with some of the refugees, perhaps play chess that is what I do with them, and genuinely get to know them and then come back and tell me that they are scum, that they deserve to be placed in prisons, that they should be passed around like a ticking parcel because I can tell you that you will not, if a heart beats inside you then you will not. You will meet some extraordinary, amiable, intelligent people and it will break you seeing them slowly losing what little pride and amibiton they have less, being whittled away into conformist, depressed lumps. It is the most extraordinary thing to meet these people and to know so many Australians think they deserve this horrible treatment. It's just disgusting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)