Music while you study. (1 Viewer)

0bs3n3

HSC
So reading these stickies about studying, apparently you shouldn't listen to music while studying, and if you do, light piano music?

I don't know about you, but I find it nigh on impossible to study WITHOUT music blasting in my ears.

What about the rest of you guys?

PS: What type of music do you listen to while studying? Shuffle, specific bands, w/e? I mainly listen to rock/metal, ie. Rammstein, Disturbed, etc.

bob fossil

HSC
I can only listen to music when doing 3 unit maths homework but not 4 unit.

I usualy listen to Ministy of Sound: sessions, clubbers guide, chillout sessions
xavier rudd, daft punk and heaps of random mixes

muzeikchun852

HSC
no music for sure when im studyingg. i need total silent to able to study.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I listen have to listen to music unless it's pretty much dead silent or i'll get distracted.

Usually it's rock/punk (including Linkin Park, Rammstein, Anberlin, Escape the Fate etc etc), a bit of mainstream, rap
(super picky about rap) and some random genres that i listen too.

Hmm now whats worse, not being able to study without music or not being able to study unless it's totally silent?
Only being able to study when it's dead silent would be worse because it's harder to get complete silence compared to using your mp3/ipod :)

mamoz

HSC
wen i was studying for the hsc this year, i alwais had to have my ipod in my earss pumped up to the max or i culdnt study.it lets me relax & think lol. a mixx of rnb and hip hop orr NRG/Ministry of sound =) :D

Klutsov

HSC
I used to listen to hard rock while I study, but lately I have been listening to a lot of classical as I get distracted by rock music.

K

khorne

Apart from that fact you all have terrible music tastes, I'm pretty sure anything over 80BPM is detrimental to long term memory capacity...

0bs3n3

HSC
Apart from that fact you all have terrible music tastes, I'm pretty sure anything over 80BPM is detrimental to long term memory capacity...
lol is that a fact? and is 80BPM fast? Like, would it just be that crap stuff they play in clubs?

absorber

HSC
LOL I don't understand how you can listen to any music while studying, let alone metal; o,O.
Maths is an exception, but when writing I could never listen to music, it distracted me. Though I think non-vocal music can work.

HSC
Uni Grad
Silence for the harder stuff when i really had to think (not too often), usually listened to Nightwish/Sonata Arctica etc while studying.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
The Amelie soundtrack. Most of the songs are composed by Yann Tiersen except for the two jazz songs.
Absolutely amazing stuff to listen to while you study, to fall asleep to and before you leave home for an exam.

If I had to listen to music with vocals then I listened to Damien Rice, Bon Iver, City and Colour, George, Katie Noonan, Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild soundtrack), Van Morrison or Rufus Wainwright. Not particularly loud most of the time, not distracting stuff but rather calming. Allows for better concentration and they are all absolutely brilliant artists too. Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald are great too.

I've also collected those classical music CDs from the Sunday papers over the years. They were a great help when it came to study music and studying for Music.

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
it is better not to generally, i get pretty distracted especially since i am musical, if i hear a song i can play or sing, i end up doing that, rather then studying

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
it is better not to generally, i get pretty distracted especially since i am musical, if i hear a song i can play or sing, i end up doing that, rather then studying
Do you take Music 1 or 2?
Because I actually listened to music while I studied so I could study for Music 1 and whatever other subject I wanted to at the same time.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hmm i guess music works if you're like me and you're only using it to block out the chatter/noise around you.

I actually get into a zone most of the time where i don't realise what song i am actually listening too XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)