iPad (1 Viewer)

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
It isn't intended to be a replacement for a smartphone or a replacement for a laptop. It's a sort of a bridging super-portable device with more grunt.

I think the real killer application for this is going to be education and medical uses. It's certainly not something that will go mainstream, though.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I too am a mac fanatic. I think the iPad is a decent idea and has potential. I even think I may purchase one. I'd have to test it out first though. Here's why.
The main reason would be, I'd prefer to have an iPad in my backpack than my Macbook Pro. Especially considering I will be commuting 4 hours a day for uni, I think the fact that it is lightweight and portable is a massive bonus.
Also, I think it will do everything I want it to for a day at uni. You can word process and access the internet blah blah. I think that'll be enough to enjoy my breaks and have enough power to work in lectures and tutorials. My pages documents would need to be synced though. I hope this is an easy process.
I think it's a bit clumsy if you wanted to listen to music, and that's all. I have an iPhone as well, and if I am on a train and just want to sit there and listen to music, I can put my iPhone in my pocket. I imagine this would be a bit trickier with the iPad. I envision keeping it in my backpack while cradling my backpack in my lap??? That doesn't appeal to me.
Also something I would be interested to see is how it reacts to flash applications and games etc, because these cannot be accessed on the iPhone. I'd also be interested to see if watching a video on youtube would be similar to what it's like on the iPhone (an application instead of a webpage) or if I can actually navigate the site normally.

All in all, I think I may get it, but really, it's just an iPod Touch Kindle hybrid.

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
It doesn't support Flash because Apple has to rely on Adobe to build a decent build of Flash for ARM, which they seem utterly incapable of doing.

Geoffo11

HSC
I would be happier if this ran a simpler version of OSX rather than the iPhone OS.
I'm also fairly into digital painting/drawing/illustrating and i'm not doing that with my fingers like a child. If it had OSX and a pressure-sensitive stylus, more features and something new I would probably get it.
I had my doubts about the iPhone, initially I hated it, thought it was a gimmick and sucked. Took a few years and revised editions until it was refined enough.

As for now, i'll wait.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I would be happier if this ran a simpler version of OSX rather than the iPhone OS.
I'm also fairly into digital painting/drawing/illustrating and i'm not doing that with my fingers like a child. If it had OSX and a pressure-sensitive stylus, more features and something new I would probably get it.
I had my doubts about the iPhone, initially I hated it, thought it was a gimmick and sucked. Took a few years and revised editions until it was refined enough.

As for now, i'll wait.
So you want an iPad DS

LordPc

HSC
Hahahahahah holy fuck idiots ITT can't use youtube tags and also don't know about Home | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
haha, what did you do that for. it was funny see people get taken in

also, no one seemed to notice my white text

there has been a lot of hype around the ipad, but lets not forget the other piece of tech that apple displayed
i will rep anyone that falls for this
YouTube - Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard
ive passed out the rep as promised

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It isn't intended to be a replacement for a smartphone or a replacement for a laptop. It's a sort of a bridging super-portable device with more grunt.

I think the real killer application for this is going to be education and medical uses. It's certainly not something that will go mainstream, though.
If you have either of those devices (especially if you have both) then when would you use it?

I am generally not an apple fan but give them credit when its due, like the iphone is awesome (no not just for the apps) but don't worry it will sell, all the apple fan freaks will buy it just because of the apple logo.

Rheotron

HSC
If it had a forward-facing camera, flash support and multi tasking that would be a deal breaker for me. I think I'll hold off buying one until the 2nd generation. Multi-tasking and flash support can easily be added in by a software update, so perhaps that will be on the cards in the future. I think people are writing it off to soon, it hasn't even been released or given to reviewers yet. Give it some time and see how things pan out.

I think this thing has a lot of potential, and hopefully in the future Apple will add these things in.

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
Keep in mind this is a rev 1 product of Apple's, which means they get all of the stuff into place and then start working upon it. Look at the iPhone, it's now a kickass smartphone but when it came out it was broken as hell (it's still pretty broken but it keeps improving).

I think the rage about it is a backlash over the continuous media masturbation over this shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)