Macquarie University 'Merit Scholars Program' (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
I was looking for advice on Macquarie University's 'Merit Scholars Program'.

To get into the program all you need is an atar of above 98.5. While I would receive no money if I was lucky enough to get it, Macquarie says that the Program 'provides the opportunity to participate in tailored workshops, seminars, coaching, mentoring and enjoying access to university and industry leaders'.

I wish to do actuary in uni and I was wondering if it would be better for me to go to Macquarie (assuming I get into the merit scholars program) rather than UNSW. Like everyone tells me that UNSW is more prestigious and stuff but would these 'benefits' trump what UNSW offers and make me more employable?

So basically I am asking would I be more employable having attended UNSW or having attending Macquarie Uni and the Merit Scholars Program

Repping anything that is helpful

Last edited:

apollo1

Banned
HSC
if u get a scholarship at macquarie u wuld be better of going there. a scholarship like this wuld really help you when you graduate with getting a job bcuz you have industry experience. thats my two cents anyway.

michaeljennings

HSC
if u get a scholarship at macquarie u wuld be better of going there. a scholarship like this wuld really help you when you graduate with getting a job bcuz you have industry experience. thats my two cents anyway.
thanks for the reply mate, id rep you but I gotta share it with others first

ALSO since youre gonna get an atar above 98.5 how come you couldnt consider going to macquarie?

apollo1

Banned
HSC

ALSO since youre gonna get an atar above 98.5 how come you couldnt consider going to macquarie?
im not going to get 98.50+

tambam

HSC

Hey is this part of the monetary scholarship, or a completely different thing? Cos it seems weird to just do this stuff for anyone who gets over 98.5

michaeljennings

HSC
Hey is this part of the monetary scholarship, or a completely different thing? Cos it seems weird to just do this stuff for anyone who gets over 98.5
Its a different one to the 12k per year one.

The only requirement for the one I described originally is that you get 98.5 lol.. they must be desperate for kids

@apollo1...... of course youre gonna get above 98.5

izzy88

HSC
I'm not sure if these things are generally worth it - I think you would need to know the specifics of what would be offered by the individual faculty to know whether its enough to choose one university (MQ), over another (UNSW). It all sounds a bit vague, and may not end up being much - ie. a morning tea here or there for students...

There are also other ways of networking that are offered by universities and faculty societies which might provide the same kind of benefits. I would look more generally at the actual course to see the differences/positives of each rather than the 'shiny' things the university may add on to entice you. Or try to talk to other students who have been through the program.

To be fair, I have no knowledge about this program, or actuarial studies at UNSW and MQ - however from my own experience, and experiences of friends, I know its not necessarily good practice to choose a university based on which one is offering you a scholarship (slightly different in this case, but still a 'shiny' thing uni's use to try to entice you to go to them), rather than which one is the better university for you.

michaeljennings

HSC
I'm not sure if these things are generally worth it - I think you would need to know the specifics of what would be offered by the individual faculty to know whether its enough to choose one university (MQ), over another (UNSW). It all sounds a bit vague, and may not end up being much - ie. a morning tea here or there for students...

There are also other ways of networking that are offered by universities and faculty societies which might provide the same kind of benefits. I would look more generally at the actual course to see the differences/positives of each rather than the 'shiny' things the university may add on to entice you. Or try to talk to other students who have been through the program.

To be fair, I have no knowledge about this program, or actuarial studies at UNSW and MQ - however from my own experience, and experiences of friends, I know its not necessarily good practice to choose a university based on which one is offering you a scholarship (slightly different in this case, but still a 'shiny' thing uni's use to try to entice you to go to them), rather than which one is the better university for you.
Yeahhh thats what I was worried about cos its pretty vague and stuff. Unfortunately for me I dont know of anyone who did actuary or is doing actuary so the only place I can really ask questions is here.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
the maths faculty at macquarie i heard is not very gud. thats why im going to UNSW

izzy88

HSC
Yeahhh thats what I was worried about cos its pretty vague and stuff. Unfortunately for me I dont know of anyone who did actuary or is doing actuary so the only place I can really ask questions is here.
hmm is it possible to get more information by going to an open day or something? Or perhaps even emailing the faculty asking what kind of things they do in the Merit Scholars' Program? It seems to be a new thing since I was looking at universities, so unfortunately I never looked at it.

michaeljennings

HSC
hmm is it possible to get more information by going to an open day or something? Or perhaps even emailing the faculty asking what kind of things they do in the Merit Scholars' Program? It seems to be a new thing since I was looking at universities, so unfortunately I never looked at it.
yeahh ill give that a go thanks heaps =)

anne1010

HSC
actuarial at maq is top notch :) it was the first uni in aus to offer it. unsw may have the prestige over the uni as a whole, but not for actuarial. unsw and maq are on the same field for it and if not, maq would have the leading edge.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I was looking for advice on Macquarie University's 'Merit Scholars Program'.

To get into the program all you need is an atar of above 98.5. While I would receive no money if I was lucky enough to get it, Macquarie says that the Program 'provides the opportunity to participate in tailored workshops, seminars, coaching, mentoring and enjoying access to university and industry leaders'.

I wish to do actuary in uni and I was wondering if it would be better for me to go to Macquarie (assuming I get into the merit scholars program) rather than UNSW. Like everyone tells me that UNSW is more prestigious and stuff but would these 'benefits' trump what UNSW offers and make me more employable?

So basically I am asking would I be more employable having attended UNSW or having attending Macquarie Uni and the Merit Scholars Program

Repping anything that is helpful
1) The scholarship does give you $12000 over 5 years: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_student...larships_including_honours/merit_scholarship/

2) The scholarship is designed to give you more than just money, i.e. they are trying to get a group of "elite" students by giving them extra programs/coaching/opportunities to make sure you really do well

3) As another has said already, Macquarie's Actuarial program has a very strong reputation as it was the first to create such a program, there are lots of distinguished graduates of the program andif anything it trumps UNSW. In terms of employabilty, the reputation would be very beneficial, and the university gives you lots of opportunities to do internships during your degree which also boosts your employability.

If you have any other questions - please ask.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
I have considered going to Macquarie just incase I get over 98.5 for this reason, but unsw is very alluring =/

Blizane

HSC
If you're definitely certain you want to do Actuarial Studies then you'd probably be better off at Macquarie. As mentioned before it was the first to offer it in Australia while UNSW's program is, if i remember correctly, less than 10 years old (can't confirm that one though).

If you're not quite sure on Actuarial but want to try it out anyway, UNSW is probably the better option since you can transfer more easily to another degree/major within the uni and that would be more desirable since outside of Actuarial/Accounting/Finance, I'd say UNSW is easily better than Macquarie.

As for the Merit Scholar thing, don't let that factor into your decision too much. It's honestly not that great - I get sent emails about workshops and events which I really see no point in attending. Maybe in my final year of uni they'll be more valuable, but for now the only thing I have to show for being a Merit Scholar is receiving my certificate one night and having it written on my transcript. Also note that getting 98.5+ does not automatically mean you get the $12k a year, I'm not too how many get that but I assume its just a couple.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
As for the Merit Scholar thing, don't let that factor into your decision too much. It's honestly not that great - I get sent emails about workshops and events which I really see no point in attending. Maybe in my final year of uni they'll be more valuable, but for now the only thing I have to show for being a Merit Scholar is receiving my certificate one night and having it written on my transcript. Also note that getting 98.5+ does not automatically mean you get the $12k a year, I'm not too how many get that but I assume its just a couple.
The events will definitely help in your final years, you'll find the contacts and experience very useful towards job/internship hunting. The scholarship also looks good on your resume provided that you have maintained a certain standard in your tertiary education to suggest that you are a consistent performer. As for the amount, it is $12 000 over 5 years, which has increase from previous offerings.

Blizane

HSC
As for the amount, it is $12 000 over 5 years, which has increase from previous offerings.
Yeah, I know that, but I was just saying that in order to receive the $12 000, you have to get over 98.5 as well as apply/be chosen for it. Not everyone that gets over 98.5 will get the money, but they will all be a part of the 'Merit Scholar Program'.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know that, but I was just saying that in order to receive the $12 000, you have to get over 98.5 as well as apply/be chosen for it. Not everyone that gets over 98.5 will get the money, but they will all be a part of the 'Merit Scholar Program'.
Fair enough, they must have changed the requirements since I got into uni. Previously, there was no application required. But, the did increase the amount from $4000 to $12000.

Here's the application form if anyone is interested (due 30th November): http://secure.mq.edu.au/RegForms/view.php?id=66

michaeljennings

HSC
Fair enough, they must have changed the requirements since I got into uni. Previously, there was no application required. But, the did increase the amount from $4000 to $12000.

Here's the application form if anyone is interested (due 30th November): http://secure.mq.edu.au/RegForms/view.php?id=66
mmm yeah this is what ill be applying for once the hsc is over

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Really don't worry about this until after the HSC (Unless the application form is due in now)
Choosing between the two Unis will depend on how much better UNSW is in comparison to Macq. I mean, I've heard both are quite good for Actuary, so perhaps side with Macq if you get the scholarship?
Try calling the Universities themselves (rather than email...I feel it's more prompt) and arrange to talk with some current students in your course. I'm going to Skype with some Engo kids myself!
But yeah, back to HSCing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)