• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
but of course. People are downsizing, petrol is expensive etc.

I would always go mazda 2 hatch if i was buying a new small car.
That or a holden barina 2d hatch.
I really liked the Mazda2 actually. Test drove it for some friends a few years ago and came away feeling impressed. The Jazz wasn't too bad but felt underpowered/slow in comparison, but a lot more stable/weighty in the steering. I'd be keen to test drive some of the new Koreans as well but haven't had time.

i dont think you could go wrong with any of the current small cars really
they are light years ahead of the excels etc of the past
I think the sub $14k bracket has become the new cheap and there are some questionable contenders (e.g. Proton S16) but the Indian-made cars do provide good competition.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i heard the s 16 was pretty decent
I drove the Malaysian version of the S16 with the 1.6L engine and it's pretty tinny. A bicycle fell on ours and it made a dent in the side if that's an indicator of how strong it is (or lack of). If it were my money I wouldn't be buying it.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I like the Mazda 2 in that segment but its seriously lacking in refinement.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I quite like the Fiesta. Not a fan of the Polo though as I feel the interior is too cheap in that class even if it is put together well.

kfnmpah

HSC
I quite like the Fiesta. Not a fan of the Polo though as I feel the interior is too cheap in that class even if it is put together well.
Nah, fiesta is shit to drive.
We had a 2d barina and a 2d fiesta at the same time. i think the fiesta had like 200cc bigger engine, but it felt sluggish and really "tanky" i really hated driving it. The barina was incredibly smooth and a lot quieter than the fiesta.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, fiesta is shit to drive.
We had a 2d barina and a 2d fiesta at the same time. i think the fiesta had like 200cc bigger engine, but it felt sluggish and really "tanky" i really hated driving it. The barina was incredibly smooth and a lot quieter than the fiesta.
Current gen Fiesta (i.e. based on same platform as Mazda2)?

On another note, passed CA so matte wrap here I come! Also get a nice tiny bonus from work :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Very nice.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out the 2012 BMW 3 series range?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. Looks nice but not exciting enough to make me drool for it. In typical BMW fashion, most things aren't standard- it's worse than MB which at least includes quite a fair bit of kit.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
That's true. I have to admit they've really fixed up the interior. The current models main console area looks very uninspired IMO

Not too sure how the v6 will play out but so far the few that have tested it seem pretty content with the performance

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
That's true. I have to admit they've really fixed up the interior. The current models main console area looks very uninspired IMO

Not too sure how the v6 will play out but so far the few that have tested it seem pretty content with the performance
Straight Six mate, Bimmers don't come with V6s. I'm really digging the look of the new 3er.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Have they confirmed a straight six? (I'm not really up to date with the latest info)

I was going off rumours that the next model would be a twin turbo v6 (source)

Also I agree, the front looks much more aggressive + really liking the interior.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
The 335i is going to be running an improved version of the N55 Turbo with a ZF 8 speed double clutch gearbox, I'm not totally sure on the M3 but it's possible that they simply chopped off a pair of cylinders from the M5's V8 like they did with the current E92 generation but the standard 3er is definitely a I6 and I4 turbo setup.

I'm really digging the side profile, I like the way the front end got sharpened and I can't wait to see the M-Sport version of the cooking models.

Source:
http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/insights/newsandevents/latest-news/the-new-bmw-3-series-sedan-F30.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)