How do I become a doctor? (1 Viewer)

stylishhh

HSC
I think I want to be a doctor but I've heard you need to do some other exams for it besides the HSC. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks xx

Sent from my Motorola FLIPOUT using Tapatalk

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
be indian

(nah the other exam is called the UMAT, measuring your 'emotional intelligence')

stylishhh

HSC
Huh? What does being Indian have to do with anything? Are they like given a preference? That seems a bit unfair...

Xx

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Huh? What does being Indian have to do with anything? Are they like given a preference? That seems a bit unfair...

Xx

Yea lol i was trolling.

There are two ways, undergrad (which you can only get in if you absolutely blitz the HSC and Umat) and postgrad (as utopian radical stated). The first guarantees entry straight after high school whilst the other requires you to do another course first and then apply (longer).

stylishhh

HSC
That sounds really complicated :( I think I might just do law instead. Thanks anyway xx

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
That sounds really complicated :( I think I might just do law instead. Thanks anyway xx

LOL your troubles have only just started then. Trying to find niches and loopholes within the legal system.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
With an attitude like that, it sounds like you're doing medicine for the money and job prestige. What the others didn't mention is that both undergraduate and graduate medicine applicants have to pass an interview, and this is meant to sort between those who are actually passionate about medicine and those who are only in it for the money.

As for law, you're going to have to do ridiculously stunningly well in the HSC to get in the undergraduate way. A little bit less than medicine (which is pretty much 99.90+ at USyd and UNSW), minus the UMAT and interview, but you're pretty much going to have to come top of your school with multiple state rankings. Again, it's to sort between those who want to do it and those who are in it for the money. And they want the smartest of the smart in it.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
^ Exactly. :confused: Why do you want to pursue medicine, yet suddenly you changed your mind to wanting to do law? Is it just for the prestige and reputation, or do you genuinely enjoy the two, because there are many other careers which do not require the amount of hard work as these two but which yield a high income (i.e investment banking, optometry). Do you really enjoy the sciencey aspect of things, given the fact that you have chosen NO SCIENCES? Maybe your subject selection is inclined more towards law/arts, given the ancient history and society and culture. :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sigh.... another 'omg i wanna either do law or medicine so i can impress everybody with how prestigious it is... oh and the 500K/year income hurr'

Seriously, do what you enjoy. I could have gotten into either, but I chose to do a Bachelor of Science instead... because I like Maths.

If you do Medicine/Law and you don't enjoy it, you will not do well in the future. If you do something you enjoy, and have a passion for it, you will excel.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking at your subject choices and your ability to balk at something that sounds hard, Med definitely isn't for you, and Law only a slightly better shot.

enoilgam

HSC
I think I want to be a doctor but I've heard you need to do some other exams for it besides the HSC. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks xx

Notsureifsrs

jnney

lemon
HSC
How did you change your mind so quickly? I doubt you'd stick with law for long too, if that is the case.

such_such

HSC
I think everyone here has pointed you in the best direction --> Med is out of the picture and law... perhaps

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
To become a doctor you need to have a good ATAR, interview and UMAT.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't need an atar to be a doctor...... you could still become a doctor if you dropped out at the end of 10.... as long as you eventually get a bachelor's degree (perhaps after 1-2 years @ tafe, then transfer to a uni), pass gamsat and pass the interview.....as for UMAT, if you fail it, it ain't the end of the world......... it is a test of your endurance, patience and passion to do a med degree.
LOL.

qev

HSC
N/A
Do some research on your own, it would benefit you more. I doubt you would make a good doctor, if you are willing to stop pursuing it simply because you need to take the umat and attend an interview. Also lol at your indian comment, i hope you were being sarcastic

shakky

HSC
First off all you should be aiming for an undergrad degree, which requires you to do a UMAT exam. These exams do not test scientific knowledge, as someone on this thread mentioned as an "emotional intelligence test". To be offered an interview you need to pass all sections, and be atleast >50th percentile (top 50 of candidates). In the interview you will be asked several questions in multi stations, usually problem solving based scenarios (someone correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about this one.) Than comes your ATAR which will be used to rank or determine who will get in, usually >95+ is required (UNSW= 96, UWS= 95.3).
If you don't get undergrad medicine, don't worry, there is always graduate medicine. Do a bachelors degree in any discipline (medical/clinical/or natural science would be a strong advantage but not necessary) and get a GPA greater than 5.5 and pass GAMSAT (contains science, essays, and non verbal reasoning). And if you still don't get in, keep trying. I know a bloke at Usyd who failed to get into grad med 6 times, and 7th time he was lucky and got a place. He was 28 years old, but it goes to show perseverance pays off.
Don't worry about doing no science subjects for your HSC. What matters is that you do the subjects you enjoy, and are good at, to get great marks and an excellent atar. Some universities like diversity and people with different backgrounds other than science- so you never know. You can always bridge science if needed.
The nature of medicine in Australia has changed drastically. Now days its not always about knowing every nook and cranny of the human body, but its a job which requires good communications skills, and extensive knowledge of society, culture and human behavior. By looking at your subject pattern, you have certainly ticked that box. Good luck!! :D

jnney

lemon
HSC
First off all you should be aiming for an undergrad degree, which requires you to do a UMAT exam. These exams do not test scientific knowledge, as someone on this thread mentioned as an "emotional intelligence test". To be offered an interview you need to pass all sections, and be atleast >50th percentile (top 50 of candidates). In the interview you will be asked several questions in multi stations, usually problem solving based scenarios (someone correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about this one.) Than comes your ATAR which will be used to rank or determine who will get in, usually >95+ is required (UNSW= 96, UWS= 95.3).
If you don't get undergrad medicine, don't worry, there is always graduate medicine. Do a bachelors degree in any discipline (medical/clinical/or natural science would be a strong advantage but not necessary) and get a GPA greater than 5.5 and pass GAMSAT (contains science, essays, and non verbal reasoning). And if you still don't get in, keep trying. I know a bloke at Usyd who failed to get into grad med 6 times, and 7th time he was lucky and got a place. He was 28 years old, but it goes to show perseverance pays off.
Don't worry about doing no science subjects for your HSC. What matters is that you do the subjects you enjoy, and are good at, to get great marks and an excellent atar. Some universities like diversity and people with different backgrounds other than science- so you never know. You can always bridge science if needed.
The nature of medicine in Australia has changed drastically. Now days its not always about knowing every nook and cranny of the human body, but its a job which requires good communications skills, and extensive knowledge of society, culture and human behavior. By looking at your subject pattern, you have certainly ticked that box. Good luck!! :D
I think 93+ percentile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)