Another repeat (I know it's a shame)! (1 Viewer)

H

hobozforlife

I understand how all of you are crazily against repeating year 12.But it's not the procrastination, there were some major family crisis where I had to go overseas RIGHT after my mid-term exams (so I had to do some important ones like M3U and chem etc before the actual date, and it was all emergency)!So i AM going to repeat, and I know I have got the motivation and I CAN put up with one more year of this nightmare (not really if I change schools tho)!So the problem is with HSC just 3 dayz, 13 hours and 27 minz away..What's the best option:1) Change high schools: I stuffed up my trialz so the report is not really good, however I do have very good assessment marks, mostly A's. Do you think I could get into a private high school?2) Tafe sounds like a horrible nightmare (no offense to ANYONE), but i don't know why. However if it's the only option I have, then I'll go for it :) But I dont noe anyone who managed to pull off more then > 90 ATAR and goes to a Tafe? Do you? And let's say I perform exceptionally well, and I WILL put in the effort, would it scale me down? I mean when we apply for undergraduate course at uni, are their certain uni's that DONT accept applicants from Tafe (Im only worried about UNSW or USyd?)3) I have heard of OTEN (distance education, and yeah im pretty good at self-learning), does anyone know anything about this and how it works? Like are there certain uni's you can apply to for an undergraduate course? And is there a limited ATAR even if you put in all your effort?4) You tell me? Any other private/public college I can go to?And if I wait till I finish my HSC, it will be too late! I don't want to sit the HSC anyway cuz im pretty damn sure about repeating!Any experience? Please I NEEED help!"You get out what you put in"

Last edited by a moderator:

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the best option would be to change school maybe to save a little embarrassment. i would advise you against repeating thought .. why not go to uni for a year and transfer after? your trails can't be that bad. what do you want to do? i know a friend of mine repeated year 12 .. he was there for a few weeks and said fuck this shit and left.

H

hobozforlife

Change schools NOW? :S I dont noe wat skewl will take me?
and naa for med, transferring will take too long. And as I sed Im heck pumped and motivated so giving up is not a problem. It's about finding a good college/school where I can repeat?!?

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
did you at least sit umat this year to know if you have a sheer chance?

H

hobozforlife

Yeah well scored 50 percentile (and I didn't do any practice at all, I know ppl who improved the next year) so yeah UMAT shudnt be prob..

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
can you tell us your current rankings and school rankings?

Rawf

HSC
I think the best option would be to change school maybe to save a little embarrassment. i would advise you against repeating thought .. why not go to uni for a year and transfer after? your trails can't be that bad. what do you want to do? i know a friend of mine repeated year 12 .. he was there for a few weeks and said fuck this shit and left.
Same.. too many people who repeat give up and leave.

Demise

HSC
Just go to uni, do some courses and transfer - You would get credit points + uni experience + ability to be prepared for your real course - You end up not wasting a year of your life being challenged, enhancing your horizon and even finishing some subjects which could mean free credits later on.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What are you looking to do at university?

Rawf

HSC
If you want to do medicine, maybe it's better to do advanced english. Apparently it's really difficult to get a band 6 in standard english.
What atar do you need for med again? isn't it 99+

teeah

HSC
Have you thought about just completing an undergrad degree and doing medicine postgrad? :)

H

hobozforlife

I did advanced eng in year 11, Shakespeare gave me a headache. No Joke!
But Im acing standard eng and getting band 6 so it shudn't be that hard :)
And even to be considered by ANY uni, u need an atar atleast >95 with a good UMAT score..
Idk man!

H

hobozforlife

Have you thought about just completing an undergrad degree and doing medicine postgrad? :)
Yeah i have, but it's going to take TOO long!!
I mean why not just repeat a year and do stuff I'm already good at and get a good atar :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I did advanced eng in year 11, Shakespeare gave me a headache. No Joke!
But Im acing standard eng and getting band 6 so it shudn't be that hard :)
And even to be considered by ANY uni, u need an atar atleast >95 with a good UMAT score..
Idk man!
Barely anyone gets band 6 in standard english, opposed to 14% Adv candidates.

At this point of the HSC, I cannot even fathom someone wanting to repeat and I've advised against it since Year 10 and my postings here. Go to uni, transfer or do post grad. It's not worth repreating where you might not make straight undergrad med anyway!

jackfrost

HSC
Barely anyone gets band 6 in standard english, opposed to 14% Adv candidates.

At this point of the HSC, I cannot even fathom someone wanting to repeat and I've advised against it since Year 10 and my postings here. Go to uni, transfer or do post grad. It's not worth repreating where you might not make straight undergrad med anyway!
Everyone is different my dear.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone is different my dear.
...I think the top 0.8% that scrape a band 6 in Std each year could get a b6 in Advanced if they did it. I'm not sure what you're trying to pick at me. Unless it's more just the repeating in general. In 99.5% of cases, I will vehemently argue against repeating.

barbernator

HSC
...I think the top 0.8% that scrape a band 6 in Std each year could get a b6 in Advanced if they did it. I'm not sure what you're trying to pick at me. Unless it's more just the repeating in general. In 99.5% of cases, I will vehemently argue against repeating.
its only top 0.2% 60 out of 30 000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)