UNSW imposes minimum entry score of 80+ ATAR (2 Viewers)

Emily Howard

HSC
yea wos talkin to a private schooler today from da eastern suburbs her school lyk mine dnt make students aware ov EAS

she only heard bout it from a teacher afta her hsc, applied but was late, an yea dis is 5-6 years ago i dink n her teachers were all aware her mum was ill, in an out of hospital n she was missin out on a lot of school to care fo her, she was even school captian

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it does seem to be the case that it's a skill set as opposed to a defined career path but there also seems to be some notable exceptions - health sciences (positions are restricted to those related to it but they don't HAVE TO take those positions), medicine and probably research positions (post grad etc).

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
*not considered independent till 22 so cnt get YA with parents who both work pretty much
or tell centrelink your parents cut you off due to "familial breakdown" and that you might have to turn to a life of crime to support yourself.

Emily Howard

HSC
dat wld involve movin out n providin a rent or utility bill as proof ov residency

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
dat wld involve movin out n providin a rent or utility bill as proof ov residency
My cousin got centrelink when he was still living at home (dropped out of high school). My aunt just told them she's not supporting him anymore and that he might turn to a life of crime. He got that good welfare monies (funny thing is my gov is a gov employee pulling 100k+ a year...).

niggas just gotta know how to game the system yo. Or just move out with your girlfriend, boom instant independence.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
u guys r all a bunch of naive fuckwits who havnt lived in da real world

doesnt matter wat ur degree is u can still use it to get a decent job, dat goes to u fuckwits complainin bout arts students, u dnt hav to get jobs in yer field

heaps of jobs nowdays require bachelor degree as minimum qualification
If there is mass graduate unemployment, I would say the bulk of them would be arts students.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that's what I mean about EAS having flaws in the system.

I hate the whole arts degrees=unemployment/uselessness thing. Arts degree by nature are very broad, the employment people go into post one or with further study is humungous. Just because you can't see the exact projectile of someone studying greek or studying literature, doesn't mean that skills aren't taught through the undergrad that people than use in employment, even if it's not explicitly related to what they studied.
Yeah the thing is you also learn the skills of Harvard referencing and writing uni essays in every single other uni degree which actually will helps the economy

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Word. Most useless degree ever.
I think people are forgetting that Arts degrees aren't employment degrees. They're not there to help you gain employment prospects (unless you do IR/Politics and decide to work foreign service/government). They're there to broaden people's minds. You don't study philosophy because it'll get you a job, you study it because it's your interest.

I don't believe arts degrees are inherently less employable, it's so broad it attracts a range of people. The more broad the degree is, the less chance someone is going to be given a job. You don't really see optometrists and doctors scrambling for jobs right? It's mainly because their field is SO narrow they practically have to work within their field. Yeah I'm pretty sure that kid studying english literature at oxbridge or an ivy league school is going to have a rough time finding a job eh. I know a girl who graduated from SOAS (U London school of oriental and african studies) who did chinese studies and she's getting job offers left right and center.

Your marks at uni matter way more than the degree you carry.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think people are forgetting that Arts degrees aren't employment degrees. They're not there to help you gain employment prospects (unless you do IR/Politics and decide to work foreign service/government). They're there to broaden people's minds. You don't study philosophy because it'll get you a job, you study it because it's your interest.

I don't believe arts degrees are inherently less employable, it's so broad it attracts a range of people. The more broad the degree is, the less chance someone is going to be given a job. You don't really see optometrists and doctors scrambling for jobs right? It's mainly because their field is SO narrow they practically have to work within their field. Yeah I'm pretty sure that kid studying english literature at oxbridge or an ivy league school is going to have a rough time finding a job eh. I know a girl who graduated from SOAS (U London school of oriental and african studies) who did chinese studies and she's getting job offers left right and center.

Your marks at uni matter way more than the degree you carry.
People should be able to study Arts or other unemployment degrees if they want to, but it shouldn't be paid with HECS coming from the taxpayer's hip pocket.

If they just studied english literature at an ivy league they probably would have a hard time finding a job in America or Britain given the current economic climate. In the USA undergraduate Liberal Arts students usually do a post grad degree afterwards to improve their employability.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
People should be able to study Arts or other unemployment degrees if they want to, but it shouldn't be paid with HECS coming from the taxpayer's hip pocket.
Where do you draw the line? What about someone with a medicine pipe dream who is studying medical science with shocking grades and no intentions of doing research or lab work?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The reason why doctors generally find jobs is because they control the number of medical graduates. As far as I know - based on sibling impressions, if you do health science, don't expect to get a job in that field quickly. Of course, that excluded medicine but they have other problems (long period of training).

So my point is that just because it is broad, doesn't make you less employable.

Remember: correlation doesn't equal to causation.

Emily Howard

HSC
If there is mass graduate unemployment, I would say the bulk of them would be arts students.
hahahahahah how bout over-saturated fields m8

i noe plenty of optoms n pharm kids dat cnt get a jerb

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
u noe wat i lyk u LHS u aint bad gurl
Thanks Em lol.

It's also a common problem with special provisions/considerations as well - those who know how to play the system can get away with some pretty questionable stuff. On the other hand, I know a few people with legitimate problems who didnt get anything because they didnt know how the system worked.

Back onto degrees though, I've definitely come to the realisation lately that they often provide people with a skill set as opposed to a defined career path. A lot of graduate jobs these days just ask for an undergrad degree as the educational requirement as opposed to a specific degree. So I definitely think the whole "Arts degrees = Centrelink" thing doesnt really reflect reality.
The stats of the number of people awarded special provisions in independent and religious schools when you consider the majority of students with disabilities are enrolled in public schools, it is mind boggling.

lol u dolts

arts degrees r also stepping stones to further study

plenty ov post grad opts fo dose wif high enuf GPAS/WAMS or ones dat r even credit average
Yes, many arts degree students will do further study. My sister went into Journalism after her arts degree, but then did a Masters to retrain direction learn Indonesian and policy and ended up in policy work. Many of her friends did Masters after their arts degrees.

Unemployability is not equal to arts degrees. There's quite the glut of pharmacists atm-and with pharmacy, that is a limited job you train for. Things like commerce, science have broader projectiles than those uber specific degrees like physio, teaching etc.

The reason why doctors generally find jobs is because they control the number of medical graduates. As far as I know - based on sibling impressions, if you do health science, don't expect to get a job in that field quickly. Of course, that excluded medicine but they have other problems (long period of training).

So my point is that just because it is broad, doesn't make you less employable.

Remember: correlation doesn't equal to causation.
This thread is starting to sound like, bring back capping degrees 2k13.

Emily Howard

HSC
wit my first degree im considering branchin into science or government policy for post grad

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

If they just studied english literature at an ivy league they probably would have a hard time finding a job in America or Britain given the current economic climate. In the USA undergraduate Liberal Arts students usually do a post grad degree afterwards to improve their employability.
Yeah and all the business and finance majors are doing such a fantastic job at uni right. You're ill informed if you think someone studying eng lit in an ivy league or oxbridge would have a hard time finding a job. Funny how all the people in charge in the UK and US had a humanities degree, guess they really fucked up their life huh.

You know why arts is the cheapest degree? Because there's way less demand than people think. Most people can't hack it properly in an arts course. Lots of people just cruise through getting credits and passes.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
subject bonus points
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the only practical thing which distinguishes between a student who was assessed on 4 units of history, 4 units of English and only 2 units of maths, who has upon recieving their 90+ atar, realised that there is no money in English or History and decided to apply to a science, maths or engineering course with a mark that in no way reflects their potential to perform in said subject- and another student who got 1 or 2 marks lower than the history/english student but was assessed on Physics and 4 Unit maths, subjects which are actually relevant to the degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)