Which Engineering Course Are Pursuing Next Year? (1 Viewer)

Which one are you picking?

• Total voters

tashe

HSC
N/A
You should change it. You have nothing to lose IMO. Its not much harder than 2-unit.
True. In fact, you will gain. After you see the 3u stuff, you would view the 2u questions as easy.

Next year will still only be preliminaries for you, that's the time to experiment.

Last edited:

J280

HSC
I agree, as people have told me the same thing in that there is no harm in doing 3U as you can drop anytime. If you are doing 2U there is no chance to move up and thus your choices for university can be limited.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Wow, I can't believe you guys have faith in my ability. Well, I did exceptionally in my 5.2 course so I'll think about doing 3U.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Aerospace!!! But I'm going to do flexible first year :)
If you get into Aero just do it from first year. You can easily transfer if you don't like it.

Also, if you do flexi first year, then Aero is in high demand, you may not get in for second year.

tashe

HSC
N/A
I'll think about doing 3U.
Yeah, think about it. 3U isn't much of a step from 2U. It isn't like 3U to 4U where the topics are different.

For everyone who voted electrical engineering, may I just ask what is captivating about it? Really want to know as I never thought of it as an option for myself. It may be because I didn't like the electricity aspect of high school physics.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I was gonna pursue engineering, but I needed 3U maths and physics which I didn't have, so I'm pursuing psychology instead.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Physics isn't needed and you can do it with 2unit if you work really hard on maths in first year.

ayecee

HSC
For everyone who voted electrical engineering, may I just ask what is captivating about it? Really want to know as I never thought of it as an option for myself. It may be because I didn't like the electricity aspect of high school physics.
When I was in year 11, I wanted to study B Electrical eng + computer science. I was very interested in the interrelationship between hardware and software. (I spent a good portion of that year making a computer in minecraft lol). However my dad and I went to the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne this year, and that re-ignited my passion for motorsports. I watched every F1 and V8 race this year (including the two that were on the day before hsc exams begun).

So ultimately I settled on B Mechanical & Mechatronic Eng, bit of both I guess haha!

No biomedical?
OP said it only let him put 10 options, hence the "other" option.

Last edited:

gwilymprice

HSC
First pref: aero (mechanical)
Second pref: mechanical

Want to do a double with physics or chem though

Last edited:
Reactions: x1

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get into Aero just do it from first year. You can easily transfer if you don't like it.

Also, if you do flexi first year, then Aero is in high demand, you may not get in for second year.
Wait, I was under the impression you could transfer into anything (with guaranteed acceptance) after your first year???

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
mining for the cash, software for the passion

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I've enjoyed playing with electronics and logic gates in the past year.

Also, I like how there are many different types of jobs (research or industrial) in electrical, and that can basically overlap into many different forms of engineering such as Chemical, Mechanical, Biomedical, Environmental, Mining and Civil, which means that you can work with many different options or firms. That was the main reason of choosing it over Chemical, where you are deadlocked into a particular type of job.

Also, I've started building control systems recently, which is enjoyable and electrical will give me the chance to build bigger control systems in future careers.

Wait, I was under the impression you could transfer into anything (with guaranteed acceptance) after your first year???
Nah. It might be full. Just start off with what you want then transfer later if you don't like it.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Do companies such as Ausgrid and Bluescope still allow students who have studied Bsc/Bsc adv rather than engineering courses to apply?

zxreth

HSC
If your atar doesn't make the cut-off for the discipline you want to go into then you won't have guaranteed acceptance. In the case of USYD they'll look at your first sem marks and atar.

ChillTime

HSC
I recommend talking to engineering graduates and final years rather than speculating about demand and quality.

I would recommended electrical, civil, software and mechatronics as they have comparatively more jobs. They are more "foundational". Stay away from the less common ones like biomedical and photonics, unless you're prepared to venture overseas in search of jobs. Aero is also very poor in demand as Australia does not have much of an aviation industry. Ideally, you want to go to the USA for Aero jobs.

I finished biomedical engineering. The core subjects like maths, mechanics/physics, materials were good, but I was dissatisfied with the quality of education for my biomedical subjects, not to mention the severe lack of jobs.

In terms of UNSW vs. USYD, I've been at both. UNSW is slightly more organised with the teaching and the campus is smaller and easier to travel around, it's also got the better maths faculty. USYD seems more disorganised with their teaching in engineering, but the travel is more convenient (train to Redfern). In terms of social life, it's entirely what you make of it, both unis will serve you well if you can connect well with others and participate in the organised events. Most people will tell you USYD is better for extra curricular activities and social life.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)