The Anime Thread (2 Viewers)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Apparently it's an amazing anime all the way.
from what i have seen so far it is fantastic

that's saying quite a lot considering that I watched Monster right before this and it's the type of show where everything usually looks super shit afterwards in comparison

(also hint: new mafia character that will be introduced next round will be called the "monster" and will be a homage to it)

J280

HSC
Did you guys see the end of the last episode of SnK? (Hint: the wall scene) ;)

Examine

same
HSC
I was thinking of watching Space Dandy though am hesitant because of the name and the description given for it LOL. (Space Dandy is a dandy guy in space!)

However it was made by the creator who also made Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, so if words goes around that it is actually good I might start watching it.

Nisekoi, Noragami, D-Frag and Witch Craft Works are the main ones I'm following for Winter 2014 (locked in, I've dropped everything else). I might pick up Silver Spoon S2 as well but I first need to go through S1 (been procrastinating watching it, it's been sitting on my hard drive for a while)

EDIT: It's good to see that Noragami has reached over 8 (8.03) on MAL ratings. Nisekoi seems to be steadily on 8 (8.04 atm). I think Log Horizon is gradually increasing its score as well or it might just be my imagination (8.15)
Nisekoi has slightly decreased to (8.03), Noragami has risen a lot by no surprise as well momentum is really picking up atm (8.11), nearly reaching the end, my favourite Fall 2013 Log Horizon has steadily increased to (8.18).

I will pick up Silver Spoon S2 but will probs wait until it is finished. Sitting on 8.27 I expect it to be of the quality produced in S1.

J280

HSC
Just caught up on anime, yeah Noragami looks like it's gonna get better soon :)
BUT... that KnB episode was so intense... it makes everything else seem boring now :(

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Nisekoi has slightly decreased to (8.03), Noragami has risen a lot by no surprise as well momentum is really picking up atm (8.11), nearly reaching the end, my favourite Fall 2013 Log Horizon has steadily increased to (8.18).

I will pick up Silver Spoon S2 but will probs wait until it is finished. Sitting on 8.27 I expect it to be of the quality produced in S1.
in all fairness mal rankings near the top begin to get unreliable so i would take them with a grain of salt

for example death note is rly good and so is code geass but the former rly drops in quality after a certain thing happens in the series (avoiding spoilers) and the latter is also great but definitely not of the same calibre as other top anime (does not come close to Monster, Mushishi, Mononoke Hime or Cowboy Bebop which are superior in practically every way but ranked lower in the list)

gonna check out Baccano! next after i finish up Mushishi :)

Examine

same
HSC
in all fairness mal rankings near the top begin to get unreliable so i would take them with a grain of salt

for example death note is rly good and so is code geass but the former rly drops in quality after a certain thing happens in the series (avoiding spoilers) and the latter is also great but definitely not of the same calibre as other top anime (does not come close to Monster, Mushishi, Mononoke Hime or Cowboy Bebop which are superior in practically every way but ranked lower in the list)

gonna check out Baccano! next after i finish up Mushishi :)
In the end though MAL rankings are based on what the majority of users give the anime. Although I do agree there are some anime which have been rated higher than they should in the end tastes are all subjective and what this ranking system does is present what the taste of the majority of people approve of. However, that's not to say that they are the stone set rankings of anime quality but I believe that all the anime in the top 50 are there for a reason, no matter how overhyped they are.

Also, I find the shifts in MAL scores accurate in judging the quality of anime which are still at the weekly releasing stage (for example, Noragami has picked up a lot of momentum in the last 2 episodes so it is no surprise that the general audience would rank it better, while Nisekoi has generally maintained the quality of the anime which has resulted in a steady score). Naturally since anime has the majority of its demographic being young males, a shonen such as Kuroko no Basket would be ranked higher than a seinen or josei such as Usagi Drop despite the latter being considered one of the best slice of life animes by many. This is mainly the same demographic that use this thread so I find it interesting to keep note on trends.

I've got Baccano downloaded though I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. :/

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
finally finished mushishi including the special ep

definitely up there with cowboy bebop and monster as one of my faves and is probably the most consistent of them all (cannot criticise a single episode tbh). It is also probably the most beautiful animes i have seen both visually and thematically.

Only real criticism i have is that the last eps do not feel like last eps at all and for those who watched it in 2007 and did no know about the follow up eps being released this year (yep, 7 years later) it would have seemed very anti-climactic to have ended on an ep that wasn't even an ending, leaving it to seem unfinished, though this criticism is moot if you watch it now and continue with the eps being released in april this year. Also the "special ep" that goes for 44 mins and was released this year, if you watch the series, make sure to watch it as it is probably one of the, if not the, strongest eps of the entire series

Examine

same
HSC
Just saw a video with Kotonoha no Niwa. The animation is so good (probs the best from all the 2013/2014s i've seen), defs will have to check it out.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
gonna finish the final ep of baccano tonight, it's very very entertaining though it is a bit confusing at the beginning cos it introduces so many characters so quiickly and keeps jumping between them but if you stick to it everything begins to make sense

Examine

same
HSC
Dem feels when Winter 2014 is nearly over.

What I ended up sticking with:
- Noragami
- Nisekoi
- Witch Craft Works
- D-Frag
(I guess you can add KnB S2 and Log Horizon on that list since they finish during this time period)

Spring 2014:
- Gokukoku no Brynhildr
- Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
- Black Bullet
- Mekaku City Actors
- Isshuukan Friends
- Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
- Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
- No Game No Life
- Hitsugi no Chaika

Last edited:

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Dem feels when Winter 2014 is nearly over.

What I ended up sticking with:
- Noragami
- Nisekoi
- Witch Craft Works
- D-Frag
(I guess you can add KnB S2 and Log Horizon on that list since they finish during this time period)

Spring 2014:
- Gokukoku no Brynhildr
- Selector Infected WIXOSS
- Black Bullet
- Mekaku City Actors
- Isshuukan Friends
- Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
Sorry for chiming but holy shit Examine, why are your sigs are always so pretty omg. Garden of words <3

Examine

same
HSC
>mfw Kill la Kill is rated 8.51 now

It must have had a good ending since when I dropped it midway it didn't seem too good.

Examine

same
HSC
THE FEELS TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES. Probs my most anticipated Spring 2014 anime other than Mekakucity actors

suika

HSC
THE FEELS TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES. Probs my most anticipated Spring 2014 anime other than Mekakucity actors

SAME. Then synopsis caught my attention and then when I saw the trailer I practically fell in love. I haven't read the manga though :c

My friends are getting me to watch Mekaku City Actors. I'm feeling a bit 'eh' about it though, I don't know.

Examine

same
HSC
SAME. Then synopsis caught my attention and then when I saw the trailer I practically fell in love. I haven't read the manga though :c

My friends are getting me to watch Mekaku City Actors. I'm feeling a bit 'eh' about it though, I don't know.
The art reminds me of Usagi Drop, which is my fave series (+ the plot seems quite interesting/heartwarming).

Might as well try an ep.

Yeah I usually pick up a lot of series which might seem interesting then end up making heavy cuts after the first episode :haha:

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
in terms of animes that took me on the f33lzmobile fma and mushishi were probs the most emotional, though i haven't seen clannad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)