Official BOS Trial 2014 Thread (1 Viewer)

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Dodgy sleep patterns caught up with you? I know they did with me haha. Did not get out some Qs that should've been ez in hindsight but can't win them all.

@aDimitri I think I had trouble with that sum thing as well, couldn't seem to get LHS to match the RHS.
@ Carrotsticks and Trebla (and the other organisers): Thanks so much for arranging the event, it was a great day, great exams, and the free food was nice too.

General feedback: I got destroyed, which is good because I'll probably work harder now so thanks for providing that extra kick =). I especially liked the derangements question, it was amazing.
did not get that far but reading it it looks alright!

esaitchkay

HSC
I finally stopped crying. :( I got 100% internally for trials for 3u and I'm expecting around 30-40% for this exam.

I do believe we all owe a big thanks to Carrotsticks, Trebla and all the other BoS members who helped out today.

It was a great experience, regardless of the results, and it's definitely motivated me to study harder (and concurrently give up all hope of E4, only kidding.)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Any particular questions you liked/disliked/want to know the answer to?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thank you so much everybody for coming! It was a great event and a huge success. It was a great view from my perspective, seeing all these hard-working students labouring over the papers and racking their brains as to what to do next, or how they can use their Mathematical tools.

Once again, I do apologise for the delay with regards to starting the 2U/4U papers later due to printing, this was my fault and something to improve on for next time =) My words cannot express how appreciative I am of all of you coming to attempt the papers, when you've got such little time left until your HSC Examinations.

Seeing the students buzzing right after I said "Pens Down" was something unlike any other event I've experienced (even other BOS Trials!). "How did you do this one?", "Wow.", "Did you get X for Question Y?" were common things said, and I loved hearing students discuss their various methods of proof and calculations. I'm so proud of all of you for having attempted this, despite it being no where near an accurate depiction of the HSC difficulty-wise. Well done everybody!

And although I have already said my thanks in person, I'd like to give them out again. It is the least I can do to express my gratitude.

First, another huge thank you to Trebla, for spending countless hours doing the following:

- Checking solutions
- Verifying correct-ness of the steps
- Checking HSC-friendliness
- Checking syllabus coverage
- Pestering me to churn out the questions
- Driving back and forth from his place to mine to spend many hours discussing the paper

Without his help, the papers would not be what they are now, for all of you.

Secondly, to the University of Sydney for providing us with a venue that can accommodate the volume we had, as well as our lunches (which I actually was not expecting at all). We had access to good exam-conditions (nicely spread out tables, solid tables, non-creaky chairs, as menial as they sound I feel that they have a role to play in terms of your comfort as an examinee) that we would otherwise not have. I hope to further build our relationships between the website and the University.

Thirdly, to the assistants who came on the day. I know it must have been extremely tiring and boring to sit there to supervise the exam when you could do something else much more interesting/productive (such as studying of course!). Thank you for ensuring that the event today ran as smoothly as possible. Without your help, the shenanigan with the printing would not have been resolved in a timely manner, and we may have had to provide students with blank paper instead for their writing booklets!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, congratulations to all who have successfully completed the paper to the best of your efforts (that's the main part, that it was to the best of your efforts, not your mark necessarily). It was a challenging set of exams, and you all survived!

Take this as a learning experience, and also as an opportunity to appreciate that Mathematics is more than just mindless calculations and boring derivations. Unexpected topics being mixed together (who in their right mind would think that SHM mixed with Projectile Motion would yield such a neat result???) yield unexpected, yet sometimes amazingly pretty results.

There are some neat things that can be proven, using the tools we are provided with at the high school level. It's now just a matter of gaining access to them, which is why I am here to provide such a service.

Good luck all for your HSC, and I hope to see you all leaving high school with a greater appreciation of Mathematics =)

----------------------------------------------------------------

The solutions will be released some time next week, and I aim to have the results out by around mid-October, but before your HSC Examinations for Maths of course!

I am aware that each of the papers had some mis-prints, which I'll be addressing before uploading a copy of the exam online. Hang tight!

mirachael

HSC
I'd be happy just to pass either exam. I haven't felt this shit after an exam since our chem prac test. I think this is going to be a huge wake up call for me that I can't get too complacent with maths or rely on it to pull me up, even after ranking first internally. I think I'll have to not only start doing a bit more maths study, but put a bit more effort into everything else if my maths isnt as good as I hope it to be.

Special thanks to carrot and trebla for taking the time to set the paper. Also thanks to usyd for the venue and the free food and bag (even if they're just trying to bribe us to go to usyd)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I'd be happy just to pass either exam. I haven't felt this shit after an exam since our chem prac test. I think this is going to be a huge wake up call for me that I can't get too complacent with maths or rely on it to pull me up, even after ranking first internally. I think I'll have to not only start doing a bit more maths study, but put a bit more effort into everything else if my maths isnt as good as I hope it to be.

Special thanks to carrot and trebla for taking the time to set the paper. Also thanks to usyd for the venue and the free food and bag (even if they're just trying to bribe us to go to usyd)
Yeah I know what you mean, I got stuck trying to visualise stuff and wasted heaps of time doing that

Any particular questions you liked/disliked/want to know the answer to?
Combinatorics <3.
Didn't really dislike anything.
In particular, I didn't get how the volumes question with the Gaussian integral worked (couldn't visualise it so didn't do all of that), but I can wait till the answers are posted; thanks again for writing such a great paper with Carrotsticks, even though I got rekt I had a great time!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
ALSO, i stand by what i was saying about that sum question being wrong, if you check the degree of the LHS and RHS it's pretty clear that the powers are wrong on the RHS. for my actual solution:

Got the exact same thing.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
question said

had my stumped for a little while
We will address this in the marking. Either way the final result in the latter parts still work out.

the wobbulator

HSC
i like to say tht i did better in 4u than in 3u... Like 3u the last 2 pages i had like no clue and i don't know if anyone could scab of any marks there.. in 4u i knew i was going to fail it was just a question of how much i fail. While 3u caught me of guard. Tbh the exam conditions and everything was pretty nice and i like to thank carrot and trebla for organizing this awesome event- (your apologizes are forgiven for starting late). Hopefully this doesn't reflect my Hsc :p

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A lot of students felt that 3U was harder than 4U, which I find quite surprising!

Which questions in particular were troublesome?

mreditor16

HSC
A lot of students felt that 3U was harder than 4U, which I find quite surprising!

Which questions in particular were troublesome?

all

jokes, I didn't do it. but yes from what I heard from students, that is definitely what was felt ...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I will be uploading the exam papers in roughly 15-30 minutes for everybody to discuss their solutions or to perhaps collectively collaborate to try to find solutions to the problems that nobody got out.

HSC
I will be uploading the exam papers in roughly 15-30 minutes for everybody to discuss their solutions or to perhaps collectively collaborate to try to find solutions to the problems that nobody got out.
Please post on this thread when you do :D
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)